Switching districts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2012

I'm trying to move to a neighboring district because they have a lot more magnet schools (compared to my current district's none) and pays a little bit more. If I'm hired, do I keep my "steps" or will I drop back to step zero? It might vary from state to state, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this.

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 4, 2012

In my state you do not move to another district you only move to another school within the same town (ex: elementary school to the middle school if you have the certification) You would have to quit your current job and be hired by another district. If hired it is up to the new superintendent to determine what step you would start on under the categories of BA, BA +15, BA + 30, MA, MA+15, etc. Most often you do get some credit for previous years taught.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 4, 2012

I think my district only gives credit for 2 years. Since we're getting rid of that process of steps and lanes most likely, it probably won't matter long term.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2012

You might be able to negotiate a bit higher than step one depending on your experience and certifications, but don't expect to be given full credit.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2012

I agree - they decide which step they are willing to give you, and they often try to do it lower to save money.

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 4, 2012

Schools in my area will usually give you the amount of years you previously had. A person with experience is valued in most districts.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

NC public school to NC public school will not matter. You keep all of your steps. For some reason, I am thinking you were at a charter? Or am I way off base? Anyway, I'm not sure how non-public experience transfers.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2012

I'm not charter, but I wish I was. I'm really happy to hear NC will let me keep my steps. Since I'm entering my 5th year I'll see a bigger jump than my prior steps....

10. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 4, 2012

I'm actually in this same situation. The new district that hired me requested me to fill out a years of service form and have someone from HR in my old district verify it. The new district accepted the form and now I'll be placed on to step 5 of the salary schedule. In my old district, I was there 4 years and reached non-probationary status. I'm entering my fifth year this fall and I will be placed at probationary status for the first three years. Good luck next year! :D

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 4, 2012

I started on step 3 (where I should have according to my experience) in my new district. My previous district didn't have a step scale since they were pay for performance. I think there must be some law in my state because every salary scale I looked at said they would give you up to 8 years worth of experience credit on their scale. Since I was under 8, I got full credit for mine.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 4, 2012

My district gives credit for up to five years of experience.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2012

Here it varies by district... in my district, you'd start 5 steps lower than where you belong. If I switch to the district I live in, I get all of my steps.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2012

It is completely negotiable on where you start on the salary scale. Usually this is done with an HR person or the superintendent.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

NC has state mandated salary scales. Switching in NC is way different than other places.

16. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 5, 2012

I think my district gives credit for up to 8 years. You would lose your tenure, though, and have to go through all of the probationary observations again.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

Just read this morning that beginning 2013-2014 all teachers will start on step ZERO. So find that job now!!