Switching careers, then going back to teaching?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by fazed, Jul 25, 2017.

1. fazed

fazed Rookie

Jul 25, 2017

Hello again,

First of all thank you to those of you who have responded to my previous topics, thank you. I've been asking for advice from multiple people and it's good to have multiple forms of input.

I have one year of teaching experience but was non-renewed. As the summer draws to a close, I have two more interviews lined up but I'm feeling they're my last shot at something full-time as a regular teacher.

Bottom line is: I cannot support myself on sub pay where I'm at. I have considered working full time at educational textbook companies to be able to support myself financially, then reapplying for teaching jobs the following year. My question is: is taking a tangentially related position like working for an educational textbook company a bad thing before looking for full-time jobs the next year? Is it better than working at some other, non-education-related career, then going back to teaching?

Thanks!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 25, 2017

I don't think it's such a bad thing... but what makes you so sure that you can get one of those jobs? Do you have a connection somewhere? It doesn't seem that is a job you could apply for and be starting within a month, but I could be wrong. And, have you thought about what you'll do if you actually like it and don't want to apply for teaching jobs?

4. Aug 15, 2017

I was non-renewed from my very first job. I moved back home and the week before school started I got a call and was hired almost on the spot. I've been at the school for almost 10 years. It depends on the subject you teach and if your willing to relocate (my school was 90+ minutes from 'home'). I've had my rough days, but I have a great school family here.

Rainbowbird likes this.
  5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2017

The closer connected to teaching, the better, but if not take a course or something at your regional extension center to be able to show that you are keeping current and learning. I switched careers once and when I went back to find a teaching job, I was hired immediately because I was finishing my M.S. If you are done with your schooling, then take a class or workshop. Good luck, it can be done. And don't give up, I was hired twice in August just days before school began. It happens--a lot! Keep applying everywhere you can.

6. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 17, 2017

Textbook companies? Can you even get a job doing that anymore? My entire district quit using textbooks a few years back. Of the series we used to use, it seems that many have merged or gone out of business. My understanding is that this is a dying business. Just wondering if you have looked into this. Did you look into tutoring, online teaching, teaching in other settings like adult, prisons, hospitals, etc.?

Can you move to get a full-time job? I subbed for many year and lived at home. I agree that there was NO WAY I could have supported myself and I worked almost every day. Good luck with whatever you decide!