Switched from 1st to Pre-K!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by dolphinswim, Jul 20, 2006.

1. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jul 20, 2006

After spending 2 months preparing for 1st grade I find out today that I will be Pre-K! I am so excited and scared at the same time! I am now going to spend a lot of time searching this side of the discussion boards to get some great ideas. I don't know if I should return a lot of my 1st grade stuff for other stuff or what? This is all too much right now. I am just now getting the old stuff out of my classroom and now I have to make a list of what I want for my class...this is a new class added this year! Any ideas on what to ask for?

Also my theme I am thinking of "Sail Into Pre-K!" with a boat/ocean theme? What do you think?

Okay, off to do lots of reading now, and to switch my avatar!

3. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

I taught 1st grade before I moved to pre-k. It is very different from 1st but I love it and I really don't think that I could go back to 1st, at least not yet. I was able to use most of my posters and my calendar from 1st grade. I did get a few more age appropriate items but I also tried to use the items that I already had. If you are able to return unopened items it would more then likely be beneficial, in my opinion. The one thing that I personally have learned is that I spend more on supplies for my room now then I did when I taught 1st grade, that could also be because my school right now is having budgeting problems.

4. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jul 22, 2006

I was able to return, for credit, some things I know I would not beable to use in my new classroom. I am sure the other store will let me return around $50.00 worth of books. So far so good!

I made a list of things I would like my school to buy...will wait to see if they do! I also have $300.00 for class supplies for the year, plus money from T-shirt sales, X-mas fundraiser, and candy sales. So I don't think I will spend as much money of my own this year as I did last year! And I gets tons of great books, mostly for free, from scholastic book orders!

Thanks for posting...I have three weeks to get ready and I am already not able to sleep! My mind is racing about all this!

5. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jul 22, 2006

Thanks Vannapk! I have actually been pouring over your site since I found it back in March! You are a wonderful person to take the time to put such information together and share your knowledge! Bless you!

I was told to make a list of what I "want". So far I know they ordered a sand table, kitchen set, nap mats, and chairs. I have three round tables right now(I will need 2 more or a long table) I also have a horseshoe table that might work? There are some toys, baby dolls, art supplies. I have some lacing beads, counting bears, puzzles(not wood, put those on list!), sorting items, junk boxes, tons of books, and an easel(asked for another one too!)

The other two classes use Frog Street for ABC and Colors. I need to get those BB sets and CD's. I also have some new Dr. Jean Cd's that I bought for 1st that will also work for Pre-K. I have kiss your brain and nursery rhymes...I need to get All day long(heard it teaches how to line up and cut and color and so on) Is there another one that you would recomend? And I have not listened to them yet, I guess I will need to have the songs memorized before school?

Thank you again for your advice, and your wonderful website! I spend many hours there!

6. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jul 22, 2006

I also went from 1st grade into Pre-K. It was the best thing I did. All I knew was 1st grade and yes I think what others say is true "first grade is the hardest grade to teach." In Pre-k the day flies by because you are doing much smaller blocks. The kids can't handle sitting all day. I try to plan my day with a lot of transition and movement. For example: right after circle I would have centers or right after Unit I would have recess, etc. Good luck and I know you will do wonderful. I think it is good to teach first grade and then Pre-K. It will make you a much better teacher. You know what teaching Reading is all about. Take those baby steps that lead up to that and when your children leave you the Kindergarten teachers' job will be much easier.