Switch to WGU or stay with UoP?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by krose, Dec 28, 2010.

1. krose

krose Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

I'm am currently enrolled with UoP (University of Phoenix) and will be completing my AA in January. I like their program but am a bit concerned with the stigma they carry when it comes time to look for work. I have looked into WGU (Western Governors University) and like their set-up, not to mention they would be the cheaper option. Does WGU have a better reputation than UoP? I also like the fact that if I really push myself I can complete my degree faster and not have to pay extra like with UoP. Thoughts?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 28, 2010

Before you make any decisions, check with your Board of Education to make sure they accept certification from WGU. Some states / territories only accept WGU for continuing education credits.

4. krose

krose Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

Well my situation is a little unique as it is not a huge deal where I get certified. My dh is Air Force so come time when I get my degree and am certified we will be moving again. We are currently in Guam and they accept WGU since they are accredited by NCATE, but I'm not dead set on being certified here.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2010

In my district there is a note about WGU that they don't count credits earned there toward salary advancement. But, I think the degree itself is considered valid.

Be cautious about this choice. I got my MA at a non-traditional University (at the time, I wasn't concerned with how a school district would view my credits). Luckily, my credit hours count toward salary advancement - but my MA is not official.

Your BA will be the degree that everything else rides on. Make sure you choose wisely.

It may not seem important now, but later when you settle into a district, you may wish you'd chosen a different route.

6. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Dec 28, 2010

WGU is Regionally accredited

In NJ all you need is to have earned your degree from a regionally accredited (RA) school. They will not take DETC or NA accredidation. I have by BA from Thomas Edison State College which is an untraditional school without any brick & mortar campus. Nj had no trouble accepting my credits and degree and I have earned 3 CE's to teach. I have only been on 1 Teacher and 1 sub. interview, but both commented on how they felt an untraditional degree showed a good sense of self direction and drive.

I am currently awaiting final approval into the WGU MAT with licensing program. The admission process speaks well of the high standards of the school. UofP is well known and not well thought of in many places plus it is expensive. Do your homework and check out degreeinfo.com before you choose a college to earn your BA.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Dec 28, 2010

I would consider switching. I do not know anything about WGU, but University of Phoenix has gotten some bad press recently and I think the whole debate regarding for-profit colleges is just starting to gear up. It may be a problematic degree in the future. What about a local community college?

8. krose

krose Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

paperheart - that was one of the reasons why I was considering leaving UoP. The nice thing about WGU is it is a non-profit school.

I have been looking up stuff all day and so far I like what I hear about WGU. I read an article that was in Time mag as well as a story on NBC news which all had good things to say. Hopefully once the holidays are over I can speak with an enrollment counselor/advisor to answer some more questions.

9. tribalteacher

tribalteacher New Member

Jan 14, 2011

I'm working on the admissions process right now for WGU's Post Bac K-8 Teaching Certification program. So far it seems the school has mixed reviews from what I have found online. My enrollment rep has been wonderful. I am a bit discouraged that there are so many steps to get started - unfortunately none of them can be avoided as they are state requirements enforced by the university.

10. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

Jan 14, 2011

WGU rep.

I don't know about the rep exactly, but there is some concern about pay your way online degrees. You have to work at WGU. The student standards are high for their teachers. The school is both nationally and regionally accredited. Additionally, WGU is also the 1st and only NCATE accredited online school. Where I am located, WGU students are well recieved with the local school district for student teaching. I have had a nice experience so. You should contact the school and talk to someone.