switch from fourth to first??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss J, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Miss J

Miss J Rookie

Feb 24, 2007

Hi everyone,
    This is my third year as a fourth grade teacher. I do love it at times but I feel like I am getting burnt out. During the day I absolutely love my job but I am so tired of correcting long essays, worrying about the standardized tests, and dealing with kids who don't care about their schoolwork.
    There will be an opening in first grade at the end of next year so I have a long time to decide if I want to switch. I initially thought I wanted to teach the lower grades but was placed in fourth grade student teaching and a job opened up. My main concern is starting all over again. I am getting married in July and am hoping to start a family right away. Do you think I can start a whole new grade with an infant at home?
    Has anyone ever taught both grades? I would love to hear the pros and cons of first grade. I am aware that they are very needy and the school day can be draining. Is the planning much more difficult than fourth? The work after school and on weekends is what is making me exhausted. Is first the same amount of work or more?

We have reading buddies with the first graders so I get to spend time with them each week. Every week I look at them and think how much I would love to teach them. I would definitely do a lot of observations in the next year to make a decision but I would love any advice. Thanks!

3. Kathy9

Kathy9 Rookie

Feb 24, 2007

I taught 1 year of Fourth Grade in Alabama, and 5 years of Third Grade in Texas. This year I switched to First Grade. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!!! I love first. They are cute, and sweet, and still eager to learn. You can do fun lessons without being stressed about "teaching to the 'test' ". First Grade certainly isn't right for everyone, but it was the best thing that happened to me. Good luck with your decision.:)

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2007

I teach fourth, so i don't know about the planning...but I do know a teacher who went down to second this year after 10 years of teacher third, and she loves it! She said just the stress that it has taken off is easier. Also, there is more time for fun things- like doing a project about something instead of writing an essay.
    I'm sure you could switch grades with an infant at home....although it would be tough- wouldn't that come more toward the end of the year anyway??? :)

5. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Feb 24, 2007

I have not taught 4th but I taught first for 6 years. I am now a Pre-K teacher. Anyway, I did find that it was really hard to keep up with all the demands in first. First off all you have kids on so many different levels and so you are planning for different reading groups. The children are more dependent. You are teaching the most crucial grade when you teach first by teaching them how to read, write, etc. There are pros and cons to all grades but just brace yourself for more planning and probably learning centers or things to keep the students busy while you are teaching reading groups.
    I just asked for a transfer to middle school because I am burnout on the little ones. It is definutely time for a change for me and you may end up liking first but......I would think long and hard. They say 1st grade is the hardest grade to teach.

6. Miss J

Miss J Rookie

Feb 24, 2007

Thanks for all of your advice! I actually have one more year after this year to think about it. One of the first grade teachers is retiring after next year. I definitely don't have to make a decision anytime soon but I think I will try to observe as much as possible. It is such a big decision but I should remember that I can always go back to fourth and maybe I should just try it while I have the chance otherwise I may regret not jumping at the opportunity. Who knows.. :)

7. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 24, 2007

I think you should do what you just posted last, you might as well try it while you have the chance!

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 25, 2007

I would have to agree with MissWull. Take your time and really think about your decision. Having an infant (or any size child:) ) at home will require much more of your attention. I have taught first and it is truly the most crucial year, in my opinion. You are teaching them to read, write, new math concepts, etc. There is a lot of planning involved and they are most assuredly more dependent on you. Good luck in your decision!:love: