switch from classroom teacher to school librarian

Discussion in 'Library/Media Teachers' started by stargirl, Oct 19, 2009.

1. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Oct 19, 2009

I'm just dabbling with the idea, something for the future, possibly. What would be needed to qualify to be a librarian/library teacher in a school? Is there a specific degree needed or just certain classes? Special certification?
    Thanks for any info that anybody may have.

3. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Oct 20, 2009

It depends on your state. I am switching to a library position next year (hopefully). I had to get a Masters in Library Information Science. Some states offer an endorsement. In some states you just have to pass a test. I am finishing my Masters in December and hope to get a library position for next school year.

4. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Feb 2, 2010

I am currently working on this and halfway through the program. I had to compare each state for an assignment last semester, and some required a master's in it, while others required just passing the Praxis. I think that's insane personally. While I've taught ELA and worked as an interventionist, there is now way I'd be able to run a library by myself just by passing a test and reading some books. With library aids being cut left and right, who would I go to for help? Principals wouldn't even know, should they be expected to.

Some universities offer a Masters of Education in Library Science or Library Informations Sciences, or something to that effect. The only one in my state (LSU) that offers that is 75 miles away. I will have a Masters of Education in Curriculum Instruction with a concentration in Library Science... in a year!

Unfortunately, there are currently FIVE librarian positions in my district that I could transfer to if I had that degree and certification. Grr....

5. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Feb 2, 2010

I just finished the program and took my praxis test. I am hoping for a library position next year. :)