swing top trash can

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by piney, Jul 9, 2010.

1. piney

piney Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I picked up a small swing top trash can at the dollar store. I just know there are some fun ways I can use this in a workstation. So... who has a good idea?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

Those are so cute! I have used it as a sound sorting center-the pics that didn't begin with the blend or have the certain vowel sound would go in the trash can. I've also used it as a mailbox for the kids to write letters to each other in our writing station.

4. Sara7272

Sara7272 Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

I used it as my "tattle can." Students that felt the need to tattle on another had to write their tattle on a paper (in complete sentences) and put it in the tattle can. I would read the tattles at a later time and if there was an issue that I felt needed to be discussed from them I would do so.

5. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

6. piney

piney Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

OMG... the word munchers are a fabulous idea!! I think I'll have to pick up a couple more trash cans though.

7. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

I used one as a container for the unsharpened pencils.

8. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

I'm not sure how big in size yours is, but when I taught K a few years back used it as a 'sound muncher'. I decorated it up to look like a goofy/funny monster, with the opening being it's very hungry-for-sounds-mouth. For each new sound we focussed on (one per week), I gave the parents heads up so that each Monday the kids would bring in one item they found at home beginning with that sound. We would go around the circle and feed the sound muncher with our 'M' or 's' (etc.) items. They kids thought it was hillarious and it was a fun way to reinforce 15-20 words begining with the sound of the week! I plan to do it again this year as I am back in k!!!! wooooohoooooooo :)

9. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

I have one at each table for trash. It cuts down of the having to get out of their seat. I also keep a mini rect.basket with an ink pad and a few stamps for work we check together. It reduces what I have to collect. They love stamping their own papers!

10. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

Was it at a dollar tree????