Swine Flu

Discussion in 'General Education' started by reneew10, Sep 28, 2009.

1. reneew10

reneew10 Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

There has been so much news surrounding H1N1. With an outbreak underway, and vaccines unavailable until mid to late October, what are you doing to protect you, your family and your students?

3. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Sep 28, 2009

We don't have the swine flu here yet, but we do have a flu going around already. Out of 70 8th graders, we are missing 28. That is 40% of the class ill!! I've been washing my hands often and using hand sanitizer the rest of the time. I'm also sending kids home if they feel like they have a fever (I'm using the mommy method of the hand on the forehead).

4. curlyone

curlyone Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

We have has many cases in the area for the past couple of weeks. Best thing to do is WASH hands often or use hand sanitizer and keep your hands away from your face.

Ranchwife--More than likely it is H1N1, as it is too early in for the seasonal flu. Many doctors are not even testing for H1N1, because the test is a)expensive, b)testing with about 40% with a FALSE negative, and c) there is such a back-log at the CDC to confirn test results.

FYI--only about 50% of the H1N1 cases are even presenting with a fever...meaning that many people may have the other symptoms, but still coming to school or staying at school because they don't have a fever!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2009

Our custodians wipe the desks every day with anti-bacterial cleanser. We have anti-bacterial gel available outside the lunch room, wipes in classrooms and most classrooms have soap dispensers and sinks in them for handwashing...Handwashing is really the best preventative and I strongly encourage my students to wash frequently.
    We're also having a flu shot 'clinic' (regular flu shot)for staff one day after school this week.

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 28, 2009

They put a couple of antibacterial pumps around the building. That's it. I make my kids wash their hands when they come to school in the morning, before snack, and after they go to the bathroom. I'm washing my hands like crazy, and for what it's worth I bought vitamin C gummis to keep in the classroom. I pop two after lunch everyday in between sessions.

:hijack: Any thoughts on the health care professionals refusing the mandated swine flu vaccine? I'm behind them 100%- I know I would never get a vaccine that was so new, and I don't blame them one bit for not wanting to get it.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2009

Tens of thousands of people die each year from the 'regular' flu- where's the outrage and panic over that? Most of the people who died from the swine flu had other health issues that made them more at risk...

I'm getting the regular flu shot, taking precautions in terms of handwashing, good diet, sleep and exercise, and I'm not so gung-ho on the swine flu shot myself...

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 28, 2009

I'm doing the same thing I always do. Frequent hand washing (me & the kids) & using disinfectant wipes on the desks, tables, doorknobs. I'll also send home kids with fever or to the office if they have weepy eyes or are coughing/sneezing alot.

9. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 28, 2009

I just decided to go ahead and get infected in August. Clearly that was the best way to avoid it during the school year... LOL

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2009

My school has not been affected.

My doctor said NOT to get the swine flu shot. He says the real flu is more dangerous. With the swine flu, you need to stay home a few days, but unless you are a baby, it is nothing to be super concerned about.

11. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 28, 2009

I'm personally spraying Lysol and wiping down desks, especially those of students who left early due to illness. I will tell you my daughter had it a week ago. She's 11 but I can tell you it hit her hard but it was no worse than the regular flu. She ran a fever of 104 off and on for a couple of days, slept a lot, complained of aches, and had chills off and on. Her appetite was ok...just kept her pumped full of fluids. She was on Tamiflu so I'm sure that helped a lot. She was out of school a total of three days (but she was also sick over a weekend).

I'll probably get both shots and will get them for my kids as well. However, I'm not too stressed out about this illness (not even before my daughter got sick). We're all armed with hand sanitizer and I preach handwashing to my kids (my own and my class).

12. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 28, 2009

Your doctor is full of it. I was nearly hospitalized and the only reason I wasn't, was because I refused. I could barely breathe half the time and I was asleep about 16 hours a day. Nearly two months later and I still need to nap daily because of how badly infected I was.

Healthy people between the ages of 20 and 45 (with no underlying health conditions) are those who are being hardest hit by the flu. As someone who had it, saying that unless you're a baby its nothing to worry about... wow.

13. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Sep 28, 2009

I had a student who went home early on Wednesday with 103 temperature and sore throat. As of today, he had not returned. I was also short him plus two more boys today and a girl went home early. I had another boy who was out 3 days last week, but he said he was throwing up. That makes 4 out of 5 boys in my class who've been out sick. Is that because boys don't have as great hygiene as their female counterparts??? My 5th boy today was coughing and coughing, of course into his elbow as taught by his teacher...lol! He was sent to the nurse and checked out okay. Parent was called and no response.

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 29, 2009

Canadian Gal, glad you are better : ) Did you take the antiviral (Tamiflu)?

15. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

I am still not completely over it. I take a nap every day, because I am still easily tired. I took Tamiflu, but we weren't sure I got it in time, because I was stuck in my apartment on quarantine for several days before I got a pharmacy to deliver.

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

I am washing my tables down twice daily. Wiping door knobs, handles, etc, each day. I taught the children to wash their hands and we do that mid-morning, after bathroom use, before lunch and snack. I wash my hands each chance I get. I am also taking vitamins, but that has more to do with trying to get pregnant. We are all trying to drink tons of water and I am watching what I eat and that I sleep enough.

17. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 29, 2009

Interestingly enough there is new research that suggests that having the regular flu vaccine in the past may make you more at risk for getting H1N1. I won't be getting the vaccine - it is too new. I'm more likely to die in a car crash than get H1N1 hard enough to die.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2009

OK- got the regular flu shot at school the other day...took freaking FOREVER...we filled out a form- are you allergic to latex, eggs, have you had a flu shot before, any reactions, are you pregnant....and then the nurse felt the need to ask you all the questions AGAIN and chat you up...I'm like, give me the FREAKING shot, I have a Springsteen concert to get to (another story...) Anyway, she gives me the shot, I bleed (what the heck? I've never bled before...) big bandaid...big swelling...afraid I won't be able to rock and roll at the concert (I rocked and rolled...another story) and now have an ENORMOUS bruise...
    So am I getting the swine flu shots (its a series)...Heck no.

19. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 2, 2009

My school has had some exposures. But, I do the same thing every year...clean desks daily, and have hand sanitzer and tissues a plenty.

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

They also say in order to protect your family when you get home to gargle with Listerine.

21. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 2, 2009

I'm on a vegetarian/raw food diet, so I'm pretty healthy. I take yoga class to calm the stress. I don't get too crazy with the sanitizer and cleaners. I spray down the desks once a week. We have a sanitizer pump in our room. We need a certain amount of germs so that our immune systems can do what they are supposed to do. The major thing we need to do is eat healthy and get good sleep.

22. reneew10

reneew10 Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

I read that there has been over 180 school closing across this country this school year alone and that the government is urging schools to close only as a last resort. We don't have any procedures set at my school on how to handle an outbreak, has any of your schools set up action plans?

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

Not to my knowledge. I plan on doing what I always do: send a child to the office when they have a fever. I also send emails, talk to parents, or call parents when the child is not feeling well but isn't sick enough to send home. You know those days that there's nothing specifically wrong with a child, but they just don't feel good.

24. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

How many of you get the flu shot regularly? I've worked in a school for the past couple years and welcome the snotty nosed kids with open arms to maintain my immune system. Despite this, I've been wondering if I should partake in some preventative measures like the flu shot this year just because warnings for my age group are all over my college campus and the school I work at.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I've been getting my flu shot every year for the last 11 or 12years. Once I was diagnosed with asthma, my doctor has insisted that I get the flu shot. I rarely get sick.

26. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 5, 2009

I'm usually anti-vaccines, but this year I got my flu shot. I'm too nervous about the H1N1 vaccine, so i probably won't get it. I had a reaction to a vaccine when I was a baby, so I don't want to go there.

27. traveler

traveler Comrade

Oct 5, 2009

It is hitting my school right now. I have a girl home with H1N1. The health clerk at my school was not concerned in the least. She said it was just like any other flu. It is spreading (at least in my grade). I am not sure what I am going to do about it. I wash my hands and clean desks and door handles but our custodians don't do anything. We even keep the same trash can liners most of the year. They changed mine only 2x last year! They just dump and go. I put stickers on it so I could see how often it is changed. It is so gross. The only way you are guaranteed a change is if someone throws up in it! Sorry got off topic.

28. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Oct 6, 2009

I had 4 kids out today- the docs are telling them to "assume" it's H1N1 and keep their kids home until they don't have a fever. I sanitize their desks everyday and have them wash their hands 3-4 times per day...but first graders pick their noses and touch people and sneeze everywhere- I feel awful that they are getting sick but I feel like I am doing a lot to prevent it!

29. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Oct 6, 2009

h1n1

One of my students had h1n1 and was out all last week. Now she is back this week. I'm not worried about getting it but I'm just nervous since I have a baby at home.

30. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 6, 2009

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/09/23/flu-shots-h1n1-seasonal.html

In Ontario only people over 65 can get the flu shot right now (unless you have medical reasons for needing it) because the medical advisor for the province knows that healthy, young adults won't die of a regular flu but they are the most at risk for serious strains of H1N1. So younger people are going to get the H1N1 vaccine at the beginning of November. I'm not going to get it but it is being recommended.

31. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 6, 2009

I don't understand why teachers aren't considered "high risk". For goodness sakes we have more germs in our than doctors have in their offices. They have means of totally sanitizing their buildings.

32. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 6, 2009

Bumble if you were referring to me - high risk is defined not based on if you will get a flu but the impact it will have on you. Young teachers are not at high risk of getting seriously ill or dying from a regular flu strain. Young people's risk of getting
    H1N1 is higher than older peoples.

33. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 6, 2009

I am actually able to get my regular flu shot now (and am going to get it this week) because I've already had H1N1 and I am considered at high risk. Funny how that works.

34. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Oct 7, 2009

Lots of adults get the Swine Flu without it being any big deal. DH and I had it--not fun, just feeling tired and a bit achey for a few days. Or is this because we're getting old? LOL Mostly I'd worry about kids w/ underlying health issues, maybe ones they don't know about. Hope everyone on the boad stays healthy/gets over the flu quickly.

35. reneew10

reneew10 Rookie

Oct 21, 2009

I’ve never had the flu shot in my adult life, when I was younger I would get it every year and would still get the flu anyway. There is so much unknown about the swine flu vaccine so I have looked to alternative preventive measure.

36. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Oct 22, 2009

I had it last week and we've had a lot of absences at school (staff and students). One little girl got H1N1 that turned into pneumonia. she was very sick and missed 2 weeks of school.
    Keep up the hand washing and remember the idea behind vaccines is not just to prevent illness in yourself but also to decrease the spread of disease to others. I got it from one of my students and then spread it to my whole family before I even had any symptoms.

37. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Oct 22, 2009

That's me exactly! I had one in the hospital last week, confirmed H1N1, and over 25% of our school has been absent this week, and we are sending home multitudes each day with symptoms. Eek!

38. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Oct 25, 2009

Ugh. I took the regular flu shot a few weeks ago at work. Last week, we were informed that one student had acquired the H1N1 virus in the last week for a total of 3 since summer. Late last week and this weekend, I started filling ill and now have a fever, popping ears, achy body, sore throat, bad cough, and a headache. I am praying it is not the H1N1 flu, but I suppose after already taking the season flu vaccine, and a kid recently with the H1N1, that it probably is.

Today, I was administering Psycho-ed tests to a teenage girl all day, and I started feeling worse and worse. We finished, but I hope I didn't get her sick. I didn't develop a fever until there was about an hour left of testing. WHen i realized I was sick, I told her to wash her hands before she left to be safe. Woe is me. :(

39. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 25, 2009

Among previously healthy people young women are at a high risk for H1N1. The only previoulsy healthy people in Canada who have died so far are young women. CBC had a long series on it today. I'm torn. They said that based on all evidence from previous vaccinnes this one is safe. But they don't have long term results. I wouldn't even consider it except for the fact that I am in the high risk category and if I ended up in ICU how would I explain that to a doctor? Sorry I didn't believe in the vaccine please don't be annoyed that I just made this pandemic worse? I'm torn about it.

40. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Oct 25, 2009

Heh, to each their own. I have asthma, and work with a lot of grubby kids, so I always take the flu vaccine. This is the first year I've gotten sick, and it's from a bug whose vac isn't available to me yet. I have faith in the govt that the vacc is safe. Only time will tell if my faith was misplaced.

41. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Oct 26, 2009

I've already had it so I dont have to worry about too much anymore! Kids are supposed to be using hand gel and washing their hands...but you know how that goes. I had to miss a week when we got it and my 4 month old had to stay home from daycare.