swine flu

Discussion in 'General Education' started by diggerdeb, Aug 29, 2009.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

Since everyone is being told to stay home if they have flu-like syptoms...what do you think will happen to attendane?

What about the increase in teacher absences?

Does your school have a policy?

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 29, 2009

Our district has put signs on the doors to school if you have a fever or cough don't come in. We have hand washing signs on all the bathroom doors. Both are in English and Spanish. I think they have videos of how to wash your hands and how to cough and sneeze to catch your germs we are to show.
    The key will be will parents keep their kids home when they are sick. Will the parent's employers be lenient and let them stay home from work with their sick child? Otherwise I think they will be a lot of cases.

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 29, 2009

We sent a notice home to parents about keeping children home with any symptoms. 1st day of school parents are told to take children to the extended care room if arriving before 8:30 (class time), not to go to the classroom. 2nd day of school a mom and child come to the room and sit and make themselves at home 15 minutes early instead of waiting in the other room as asked. After reminding mom, I finally after 5 minutes or so excused myself from the room to do some last minute things in the office :whistle:. When I returned to the room with the students at 8:30 to begin class this mom informs me her child had fever the night before, would I please call her if she got fever again and she would pick her up. Can you believe it!!? :mad: I told her her child could not stay, she should not have come in at all. She was polite and accepting of it but acted like she had never heard of such a thing. Okay it's all over the news, in the newspaper and notices given from the schools. :banghead: What more do we do?!!? It infruiates me how inconsiderate of others some people are, not to mention the lack of respect for rules/policies. As the saying goes...'the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree' :soapbox: sorry...

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2009

We have a policy. Any child with a combination of fever, cough, or fever sore throat will immediately be quarantined in the clinic, given a mask to wear, and sent home. They cannot return until the fever has been gone at least 24 hours unmedicated. We are to keep track of when are children are sent home. If they return too soon, they will be sent home again. I have one of my 17 students home right now with the swine flu. So far, no other symptoms in anyone else.

6. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

Well, we have always had sick policies, but most parents have not followed them. I can't tell you how often my students tell me they were puking last night, or had diarrhea and yet here they are-obviously STILL not up to par. Or they'll have a note that says so and so was a bit feverish so they were given Tylenol and now are ok. Well, yes, that does work for a few hours, but what about when it wears off-at school?! When we inevitably have to call parents to get their sick child we get "I'll get there as soon as I can" which can be as long as the end of the day and then we get a call saying put them on the bus. :mad: