Swine flu

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Apr 27, 2009.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 30, 2009

Ummmm, guilty already.

2. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2009

I got a yes! Did anyone else? lol. it only happened once.

3. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 30, 2009

They totally sent that picture home in the school's weekly newsletter today. The principal thought it was fitting..

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 30, 2009

Yes, that would be my district. 2 elementary schools, one middle school closed until further notice. Only one of the cases has been confirmed so far. We have siblings at our school who attend the middle school. I was just posting on the other thread I have no idea how we'll make up days - we lost two weeks earlier in the year with Hurricane Ike and summer school is supposed to start 4 days after the school year ends.

Our school nurse has started a zero tolerance policy, if you send her a kid for any reason they are sent home and require a medical excuse to return. Personally, I think there's more of a chance of picking it up in the doctor's office. A teacher sent a child for a nosebleed today-sent home. Parents are sending kids with little sanitizer bottles to keep in their pockets all day. It's really unreal!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2009

Kinder-if schools are closed because of this flu, they will not have to make up the days.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 30, 2009

On the radio (a few moments ago) they said that there are 45 reported cases in Illinois (most in Chicago).

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 30, 2009

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 30, 2009

I mentioned this in the general ed area... but maybe this is more appropriate...

I have been mulling over going to the Intl Reading Assoc Conference in Minneapolis next week. Finally decided to go (this last weekend), though I hadn't made reservations yet.

Now with reading about how things are being cancelled in schools all over- I'm wondering about going at all.

Are any of the teachers in your area - who thought they MIGHT go- cancelling now?

9. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Apr 30, 2009

It's in my district now, too. I live in the SW suburbs of Chicago. Yesterday there were two reported cases in Chicago. Ah geeez!

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 1, 2009

Its in my town....3 confirmed cases. A family who went to Mexico...

I love that link....I will be sending it out too :)

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 1, 2009

What happens when you get a yes? I keep getting no's...lol

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 1, 2009

Darn it! :mad: Every time I get ready to start planning a trip, something like this comes up, so I can forget it! Last time I wanted to travel, that bird flu popped up!

So much for a vacation I'm long overdue to go on this summer! :mad::mad::mad:

BTW, one kid at a school in my district is being tested because he just came back from Mexico. Even if they do have family, why would they want to go there NOW during all that's going on?! :mad:

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2009

Ms I, why cancel your plans??

I would probably avoid Mexico at the moment. But make plans to go somewhere else. Get trip insurance and GO!

To quote my sister, when last year's medical issues had me concerned: "NOTHING cancels Disney!!!!"

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 1, 2009

Because of the millions of people that live in Mexico, there are roughly 350 with swine flu. In the grand scheme of things, that is nothing.

I would still travel to Mexico. I would also travel anywhere in the US right now. In fact, I am going to happy hour tonight at a place in the lewisville school district-they have confirmed cases. We really need to put this in perspective.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 1, 2009

Well, Aliceacc & lemonhead, I can't go now because my mom is one of my travelling companions & she won't fly because of this & I'm sure my other travelling companion (my aunt) won't want to go now either. They just like to be on the safe side. I'm like that too, so I don't blame them.

Hopefully, we'll go on a day trip somewhere.

16. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 1, 2009

We have been given soap and we are getting hand sanitizer for all our rooms next week. Only one suspected case in the county where my school is. I guess better safe than sorry!!

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 1, 2009

they closed 42 schools in Alabama b/c of swine flu...there have been no cases there!!! wtf!?!?!

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 1, 2009

Hahahhahahahhahahha!

I love that movie.

I totally live in a bubble. I haven't thought about swine flu once, outside of seeing it on the front of the newspaper as I walked by the stand the other day.

I did tell dh that if I contract it and die, they are NOT allowed to publish my name or picture next to 'swine flu'. That is so not how I want to be remembered. I want to die an elegant death. And I have big plans on how I want to be presented after death (sitting up in a crypt, dressed in a vintage 20's evening gown, dripping with pearls and diamonds, with the door cracked very so slightly so unsuspecting children will stumble upon it, dare each other to open it and see my beautiful skeleton smiling back at them...), and I don't think they will allow that if I die of a contagious disease.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 1, 2009

My husband has this on his facebook with the caption 'You little bastard... you've killed us all!'

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 1, 2009

It's a pathetic commentary regarding the priorities of some when it takes something like this to provide soap in school bathrooms.

21. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 1, 2009

Impossible. Elegant and death don't belong in the same sentence.

22. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 1, 2009

One of our first grade teachers had 9 kids out today! She had several out yesterday. During the day today, she sent two more home. 2 of the kids that are out went to the doc and have influenza A and have had their samples sent for swine flu testing.

Do you know how long it takes to get that back? Do the big counties have the tools necessary to test or does it have to go to Atlanta?

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 1, 2009

They're working on equipping the states to be able to confirm, but as of the last time I checked, they hadn't gotten that far.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 1, 2009

Starting Monday my fiance's work (he works at a hospital) is requiring anyone who travels to Mexico to wait 4 days before returning to work. I'm annoyed because he asked about changing our honeymoon to Cancun. Um, hello....just take off a few days after we get back! lol

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 1, 2009

Well, if you're keeping up with the news, then you should be growing less concerned about the whole thing. Things I've read in the last hour are very comforting. NY's Mayor Bloomburg is on record as saying that this is turning into more of a "minor annoyance" for the most part, and the CDC just posted the genetic sequence of the virus, but stated that this one lacks the genes that made the 1918 flu so deadly. As of the most recent thing I've read, they're expecting the severity of symptoms and fatalities to be in line with the regular seasonal flu.

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 1, 2009

:D thanks mm...you always make me feel better!

27. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 1, 2009

5 kids out of my class today. 2 are sick with fever, sore throat, vomit etc... I am just making sure I wash my hands constantly

28. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 1, 2009

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 1, 2009

wow; 15 pages devoted to this topic...no cases in my area.

Question...if a student does come down with Swine flu; who contacts the school? Does the doctor report his findings to the health department who in turn contacts the school? or what?

30. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 1, 2009

Well we got letters from our superintendent who says there are cases of the swine flu in my district. AHH yeah I am hypochondriac

31. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 1, 2009

"Gripe de los cerdos" does not seem as dangerous as portrayed
    but who wants to be either of the first two pigs of the three little pigs of swine flu?

32. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

May 1, 2009

:spitwater: That's awesome!!

mmswm, I ended up sending it to a bunch of people. :D

It was announced on last night's news that there are 2 cases in my state, but they won't announce where. A friend of mine lives in MD, (in a suburb of DC) and apparently a local school district-- or maybe just the high school-- is closed.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2009

In NJ? EEEK...Hadn't heard that yet.

34. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 1, 2009

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that a Kansas City-area woman in her 30s has contracted the virus, making hers the first confirmed case of swine flu in Missouri."

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1173373.html

My sister works with this woman!!! They work for a company that has vacation homes that people with plenty of $$$ go to, as members of their vacation club.

The woman recently went to Cancun and came back with swine flu!
    The Health Department came and talked to the employees.

35. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 3, 2009

A high school in my district just announced it is closed. I guess 2 students have it. They will be closed until May 13th. There are several other schools around here that are closed and last week they closed an entire district for a week.

36. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 3, 2009

I hope my school isn't closed. I'm going to Ireland the first day of summer! Sorry kids...

But of course I don't want our school to be closed for the heath of our students and staff too!

37. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 3, 2009

It just hit our city. Only 1 case, and it was a preschooler, but the health department is asking the preschool (it is a private preschool) to close for a week.

I hope it doesn't hit the public schools. We already go to school til mid June. I can't imagine having to work longer.

38. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 3, 2009

So one of the cases in New Mexico was confirmed swine flu. And they've announced the closure of 14 schools for the next week, in the south of the state. I am also really hoping they don't close schools in my district.

39. anney

anney Guest

May 5, 2009

hello
    there is no problem of swine flu
    please tell me what the effect of swine flu

please explain about swine flu

anney.........................................................
    http://ezinearticles.com/?id=2513600

40. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

There were 7 confirmed cases in Louisiana with 5 of them from the same school. There was a student at that school who went to Mexico in recent weeks. I think about 7 schools are closed in our area.