Sweetest Day, anyone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Master Pre-K, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

Hello All,

I am wondering how many people plan to celebrate Sweetest Day. It just happens to be close to my daughter's birthday, and I for one think it's some made up holiday that Hallmark just invented to get more money out of us!

Maybe I am just venting, but those of us who are single have to be miserable and depressed around Valentine's Day. Why remind us that we are alone again in the middle of October! :rolleyes:

Who thought this up, and how many people actually are buying into this gimmick!

:confused:

which reminds me...did you do something for Bosses' Day?

Is that not an official Kiss Up Day? Isn't it enough you gotta buy them a birthday card! :haha: Seriously, having a great boss is good, but do you need some holiday to prove you really appreciate them?

somebody get back to me with the official orgin of these fake October holidays!

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2007

I too, think it is a Hallmark Day. When my hubby and I were dated we celebrated but no more. I don't even care. To me even Valentines Day is way over rated!

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Oct 17, 2007

I thought Sweetest Day was sort of the Valentines day for singles - you know, celebrate a friendship instead of a romantic relationship? Am I wrong? I have only heard about it a few times, so I very well could be mistaken.

5. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Oct 17, 2007

i've never heard of sweetest day--??

6. glenn

glenn Rookie

Oct 17, 2007

I kind of think it was created to sell more cards and candy. They guy that came up with the idea worked for a candy company. It seems to be more popular in the Great Lakes and Northeast parts of the US.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

well suposedly boys and girls, it has been around since 1920...developed in Cleveland by some guy who felt sorry for the poor, and gave out candy to underprivilged kids. more popular in midwest states, as it increases candy sales.

I tell you, I never heard of until 10-15 years ago!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

third sun in oct...traditionally for showing affection to everyone..mainly celebrated in midwest

news to me too!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

yeah, I mean if you really love me..I shouldn't get all bent out of shape if it's 20 degrees below zero and you don't feel like going out to dinner!

I just loved tasting all those candies my Dad used to buy Mom! :lol:

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

These "holidays" are ridiculous.

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2007

ya i thought it was an ohio thing ....
    i dont need another holiday to remind me that I dont have a bf ..lol :lol:

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2007

I haven't either.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

Wouldn't be the 3rd Saturday....not very sweet on a Sunday???

I usually get a rose or something...not that big of a deal.

Actually the local Lion/Lioness club does a fund raiser & sells the most BEAUTIFUL dozen roses. My parents usually get me one. I've gotten since HS... Last year I got them & my hubby said Oh yeah Happy Sweetest Day...I said nice try, but I know these came from mom & dad!!!

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 18, 2007

I've never heard of it either.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

yeah! let's have a unattached holiday! for all of us unhappily singles! then, they will put all those small sized cans of fruit, vegetables and meat on sale, and you can get a hotel room cheaper with one bed, and get 3 crossaints, not 12.....you can buy a 1/2 loaf of bread!

you get the picture!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

I'm not sure if its sat or sun? think they keep switching it!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 18, 2007

I've heard of it but never celebrated it. I don't know anyone who does. It sounds like a half-Valentines Day to me. V-day is only worth anything because of all the chocolate on sale the 15th.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 18, 2007

I'm in! Let's write Hallmark and Congress!!!:lol:

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

A little background info...

Sweetest Day ...

Is always the third Saturday in October.

This holiday is much more important in some regions than in others (Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo being the biggest Sweetest Day cities). It is a holiday that is gaining in popularity every year throughout the country.

How It Started

Over 60 years ago, a Cleveland man, believing that the city's orphans and shut-ins too often felt forgotten and neglected, conceived the idea of showing them that they were remembered. He did this through the distribution of small gifts. With the help of his friends and neighbors, he distributed these small remembrances on a Saturday in October. During the years that followed, other Clevelanders began to participate in the celebration ceremony, which came to be called "Sweetest Day". In time, the Sweetest Day idea of spreading cheer to the underprivileged was broadened to include everyone, and became an occasion for remembering others with a kind act or a small remembrance. And soon the idea spread to other cities all over the country.

What It Is

Sweetest Day is celebrated on the third Saturday in October as a day to make someone happy. It is an occasion which offers all of us an opportunity to remember not only the sick, aged, and orphaned, but also friends, relatives and associates whose helpfulness and kindness we have enjoyed.

Sweetest Day is not based on any single group's religious sentiment or on a family relationship. It is a reminder that a thoughtful word or deed enriches life and gives it meaning.

Because for many people remembering takes the form of gift-giving, Sweetest Day offers us the opportunity to show others that we care, in a tangible way.

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

thank you diznee...

but I have to admit...I have a hidden agenda...

my daughter's birthday falls close to this day

I never heard of it before...not until 3-5 years ago...honestly

Guess I was just being a Mom, and trying to keep her birthday special! ;)

you know, like all the folks born around other holidays...and the kids sometimes get one big gift for everything.

so with her luck, that means now her special guy will think he has to buy her two gifts! :unsure:

yes, I know...I need to focus on other important things...

thanks for clarifying this for me!

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2007

KNOW THE FEELING ALL TO WELL!!!!:unsure:

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 19, 2007

Thanks Diznee for the background. I never knew any of that, just thought Sweetest Day was a step-child of Valentine's Day.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2007

We learn something new every day!

It is so nice to find a forum with such great people! :D

24. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Oct 19, 2007

I got my husband a card but, do you think I can remember where I put it??? Nope!!

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2007

since we are here, does anyone remember what those cards say?? does anybody keep greeting cards? I kept a few special ones my daughter gave me, tucked away with photos. I know the cards I pick always try to match my thoughts...but I couldn't remember the words on any cards I sent out!

like christmas time...do you visit friends, and automatically pick out your card hanging on the mantle?

I always remember my christmas cards on outside...don't remember what any cards say on outside

any body send leftover cards from last year! you know, the extras for boss, and last minute gifts?

did anybody buy all their cards already?! :)

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 19, 2007

Ah well, give him a smooch. He'll appriciate that too.

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2007

HAPPY SWEETEST DAY!!!

My parents thru me a doozy yesterday. I usually get a bouquet of BEAUTIFUL roses for Sweetest day from my parents (I've gotten since high school)! So I usually forget about, but this year I was kinda looking forward to seeing which color I would get. I've gotten all sorts of different colors in the past!! My mom called & said we didn't get flowers for you we sent them to the grandma's instead I said ok that's fine. I was joking & said couldn't you've at least kept one for me!?? Anyway about an hour or so later a knock at the door...it's my mom with the flowers. PINK & THEY SMELL SO GOOD!!! I think that's why these roses are my fav they give off such a lovely scent!!

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2007

I'll admit...we buy them after Christmas when they go on sale. We put them away with our Christmas stuff & mail them. Actually hubby bought some a couple years ago. He bought 2 different kinds so we wouldn't have to worry about them for awhile!!!

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2007

WOW....those look great! I can even smell them! :haha:

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2007

THANKS... The lions club gets them through some company I think in South America...They are certainly the most beautiful. My mom got what she calls Margarita Green...I'll have to see if I get to keep them for a couple of day while she goes out of town!!!

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2007

too tired for cake

I wanted to spend the day with my daughter. We were going to have dinner, and then cake, and spend some time at my place.

she decided to have brunch instead, and then her friend calls and says she can have dinner free at some place out there. so my daughter decides to go have dinner with her friend and her mom.

we also planned to go to church, which we did.

needless to say, by the time she got back to my place she was too tired, and full from dinner to have cake!

guess I felt a little jealous...

kinda felt this would happen

she could spend any day with her friends...

I just wanted to share that special day with her. :unsure:

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2007

My mom always made my bday special. I guess for me I liked spending time with my friends (when I was younger), but family always came first & my mom always let me pick my bday cake so there was no way I was skipping it. They were homemade character cakes, to a reese's cake (kinda hard to put candles in a solid choc. layer) & one year I asked for baked alaska & she made it for me!!!

Sorry "your" day with your daughter didn't go so well!!! :hugs:

PLUS WHO DOESN'T HAVE ROOM FOR CAKE?!? Your daughter is silly!!! ;) (I'm only kidding)!!!

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2007

going to get a piece now! saved a few slices before giving it to her!!

when I was a kid, I told my mom I wanted a cake with blue frosting. she got some grape koolaid, and made the icing from scratch...you know the powdered sugar and butter! MMMMMMMM

and it did look blue!

thanks for letting me vent..and understanding :love: