Swearing

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Leatherneck for Life, Feb 4, 2017.

?

Do you swear?

1. Too often

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No more or less than the next guy

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Only when I'm surprised or really angry

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Never

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Leatherneck for Life

Leatherneck for Life Rookie

Feb 4, 2017

Do any of you swear often? Since I became a dad, I've been working on controlling my Marine mouth, as my sister calls it. I admit I do swear casually a well as when I'm surprised or angry. However, I never swear in front of young kids (ten and under), in front of my mom and in-laws, in church or synagogue, in the presence of clergy or non-uniformed authority figures, and on the job... okay, I might have inadvertently used "hell" (and not in the theological context) and "damn" (or any variant of it) once or twice, but I go out of my way to keep a clean vocabulary on the job.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2017

Never at work. There are situations where vocabulary that is inappropriate at school is quite useful outside of school, however.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 4, 2017

NEVER at work. Found myself saying, "I don't give a rat's patoot about editing on your first draft." Yes, I said patoot.

Outside of work is a totally other matter.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2017

I don't swear at school and very rarely any where else. I was raised in the generation that feels swearing shows a lack of self control and a lack of respect for oneself. Old lessons are hard to give up.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 5, 2017

I let "sh*t" slip at work one time in a medical situation. "Sh*t, he's having a seizure". I don't even remember saying it. One of my students brought it to my attention after all had settled down. (High school SPE seniors.) I kept replaying it in my head then it finally hit me that I had said it. Oops!

Home is different.

7. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 19, 2017

Not at work. Too unprofessional. At home or with friends to be funny then yes sometimes.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 19, 2017

The thought of even forming the words never enters my mind at work. In my personal life, I may say it occasionally.

janlee likes this.
  9. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Feb 20, 2017

I rarely use swearing in anger. I don't use them to hurt people. Most often used as comedy or an exclamation point. Like Capt. Kirk once said, I use them as "colorful metaphors". I never use them at school - unless it is a private and casual conversation with a district employee. Never with a parent.

I did get tattled on by a student last year. I said "crap" in class. Referring to a lack of quality in something. Kid went straight home and told. I was asked by my P about it. I acknowledged in the best tradition of the males in my family, yes we use that word liberally in the home. I was told to stop using it in the classroom because we obviously have some sensitive kiddos. Since I got busted for saying CRAP, it is now a big joke with the staff. Now a few emphasize the use of the word in the lounge. Who's crap is this in the microwave? Come get your crap! Oh crap, it's almost time to get back to class.

10. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Feb 20, 2017

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2017

In the workplace, never. Outside of that, never in front of my child (who's 13) unless I'm angry and then it might slip. In front of my friends, all the time.