Swearing in the staff room: Do you do it?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by jonny49, Jan 18, 2007.

1. jonny49

jonny49 Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

This really annoys me. I feel that school is no place for profanity. Not casually or seriously, not even the minor stuff. I feel that you should turn off the bad language at the door.

I have been noticing the language in our staff room going downhill recently. I am not a prude by any stretch but I do not appreciate the language it makes me feel genuinely uncomfortable.

So, does anyone swear at your school?

3. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jan 18, 2007

In dramatic, hair-pulling crying moments, yes, I have let a few loose. As for casual use of "blue" words, only on teacher planning days when I'm absolutely sure no students were around.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2007

Once I stopped at an office supply store on the way home, and the clerk muttered the F-- word when her register wasn't working right.

When I got home, I was recounting this rather unprofessional use of language by someone supposedly skilled in customer service. When I said to my wife "The checkout person at Staples said the F-- word" her response was "Honey, you're at home. You can actually say the word."

5. curious

curious Companion

Jan 18, 2007

When I was working in a school, cursing by students and staff alike was not tolerated. Lol, aren't we teachers supposed to have superb vocabularies and be able to think of better words to use than curse words?

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2007

I have used mild swear words at school in periods of high stress and frustration, but it hasn't happened in front of kids in a LONG time, unless you count smart-aleck which I used yesterday in homeroom. I don't swear at all now that I have kids at home, too, although there are times I'd like to! :)

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2007

H#ll no!:eek:

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2007

I try never to curse in any situation - home, school, in the car, etc. I just find it vulgar, and I think there are better ways to express frustration.
    Kim

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 19, 2007

I don't have a staff room, but neither of myself nor my aide swear while we are at work. The kids are always right there. I did saw ****-it on a staff day when I was couldn't find something the principal wanted me to find. Took me 2 hrs to find the stupid cord to the camera, so I could send him a digital photo of the map of the school. I had much better things to be doing with my time.
    I probably could have drove it down to him and made it back in that amount of time.

10. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jan 19, 2007

Just like a diet, I always try to stop cursing on Monday...but by Friday, those little swear words creep back in. I only use them around my close friends who know me well...never in front of students.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 19, 2007

Occasionally in a blue fit moment (to borrow words) but not casually and not in front of students. In our school you are more likely to see staff talking about sex life from home, or teasing about it or even discussing our periods than you are profanity (again, never in front of students).

12. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2007

It happens occasionaly, we are adults. So far I have not seen any one swear in front of the kids. Our staff lounge is a topic for many conversations. You should have heard it when Nip/Tuck was on!!!!

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 19, 2007

Our lounge is rarely used now. It's been moved to a rather out of the way place and not many people go in there, other than to grab a coke of cup of coffee. I'm sure there are few words tossed around in there that shouldn't be, but not in front of the kids. I did have a coteacher mutter to me once that one of her kids was an f'ing idiot (but she said the word). Since this woman is a professed devout Baptist, I was a little surprised. It was field day and the kids were all crazy, but it was uncalled for. (Her kids were walking next to us in line. I'm sure none of them heard her, but it was definitely the wrong place.)

14. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jan 19, 2007

I think....

when you are at work you need to act professionally. I am not offended by others swearing. I have had other teachers and parents use swear words in front of me because they know I am not offended. But I wouldn't swear while working. If I am out with friends I, knowing how small our world is, make a concious choice not to swear. However, I have used my sailor or potty mouth words when with my friends at one of our private residences.

15. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2007

LOL..I could only imagine the topics brought up about that show :D

16. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 19, 2007

I try very hard to never swear, because I feel like if I start letting those words into my vocabulary, they will too easily slip out in the classroom or in some other bad place or time. I teach in a Lutheran school, and I have heard a few of the teachers swear when students aren't around - mostly d---. I don't think I've ever heard the "f word" there.

17. srh

srh Devotee

Jan 20, 2007

I've never used swear words, and I don't even use the "safe" words! I've just never felt a need to blurt out an obscenity. But while I don't hold others to my personal standards, I am offended by certain curse words, and I often wonder how a couple of teachers in my school can so easily curse up a blue streak while with other teachers and NOT let 'em slip in the classroom. I guess I wonder, if you can live without doing that in the classroom, all day, what is the reason to do it at all? Seriously, I don't understand that! (Please don't stone me!)

18. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 20, 2007

I have only heard 1 or 2 teachers swear at our school. At one time we had a principal who several times used off color words at faculty meetings. I found that very unprofessional and offensive. I'm no angel, but there are so many people who work in my building, that you are bound to offend someone if you don't keep it clean and professional at work.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 20, 2007

I make an effort to say words like "fudgesickles" and "jeez-o-peet" and "Holey Schnikeys!" Once I did slip up in the staff room and use the sh-- exclamation when I spilled something on myself.

20. wig

wig Devotee

Jan 20, 2007

I also teach in a Lutheran School and have never in 35 years heard a teacher use inappropriate language. I'm not saying it never happened - just that I never heard it or heard of it.

I think if such words are a part of your usual vocabulary, that you increase the possibility of it slipping out at school.

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jan 20, 2007

Our staff lounge was taken over for a classroom two years ago. The "staff area" was moved to a closet. That has now been taken for one of the title people. There is nowhere for the staff to congregate to be able to have a chance to swear but I haven't heard anyone really use language that was inappropriate at school. I think our staff realizes that it isn't something we need to say around our students. I try and not use anything even close... I said "darn it" when the stapler messed up the other day and you would have thought the world was ending. My students were like "ohhhh..." and to them even "shut up" which a one student used to another is a "bad word". So like I said I try and "keep it very clean".

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  22. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jan 20, 2007

Curse words are pretty common in our lounge. It doesn't bother me, I'm pretty sure that only the person saying them is cursed, not the people listening to it. Just joking. I don't usually curse because as a young teacher I have to maintain a high-level of professionalism to be taken seriously, gosh darn it!

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 20, 2007

I find an occasional swear word to be far less unprofessional than all the gossiping and bickering about each other that I hear!

24. jonny49

jonny49 Rookie

Jan 21, 2007

Good point!!

25. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jan 21, 2007

I laughed at this one! We have a teacher that is like a walking thesaurus, and it takes you a while to figure out you've been insulted by him. At least he makes it funny, not hostile. The truth of the matter is that swearing is unprofessional, and if we as teachers are to be taken seriously, we should set a good example! Personal expression in music or language should not interfere with setting a good example.

26. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2007

I think that swearing at school is a bad thing. We have parents, kids, etc., in and out of our school before and after school. It's just creates a unprofessional environment and I am tired of it.

We have two young teachers (? I think they're 24 but they act like they're 15). Anyway, they cuss and blast their music (yes, blast it). From the time they come in at 8 and the time they leave. I think it's very disrepectful and shows their immaturity. Sometimes I feel like I am in the dorms again. I've walked by their rooms at 4 (when kids and parents are still walking halls) and they're spewing cuss words. It's gross.

I don't think I a prude. I just would like to be in a professional environment where we show respect to everyone. I listen to my music and have slips of the mouth- I just don't do it at the top of my voice.

27. srh

srh Devotee

Jan 21, 2007

La Profesora--we have one of those too! (a walking teacher-thesaurus!). He is hysterically funny, and to me, it proves that REAL words can be so much more fun (and expressive) than those others we're discussing!

28. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 21, 2007

All the more reason to teach the students how to use a thesaurus at an early age.

29. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jan 21, 2007

I also believe insults at school to be unprofessional, not offensive to me, but unprofessional nontheless.

30. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2007

I agree with what many have said ...

I was working this weekend and a woman in my line was on the phone and every other word out of her mouth was a curse word. There were alot of little kids in the room to, so it seemed completely inappropriate! I was shocked how carelessly she was useing such vulgar words.