Sustained Silent Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kilikena0310, Aug 30, 2009.

1. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Aug 30, 2009

The classroom where I have my long-term sub position does Sustained Silent Reading (SSR) every morning for about 20 minutes. For anyone who does this program or something similar to it, what do you read during that time? I would like to read the books I normally read (suspense/romance) and almost all of them are hardcover, so I could remove the cover if necessary. Do I have to read books that are more on the level of my students (4th and 5th) or can I read at my own level?

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2009

I have this for 15 minutes daily and I read books on the kids level. I have found that the kids choose the books I am reading or I have read. Right now I am re-reading the "Hidden" book series.

4. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

As long as what you're reading is appropriate for school, I'd assume you could read whatever you want. At my school I just read books from our classroom libary (3rd grade). I enjoy reading kids books, so it doesn't bother me.

When we're done reading, I also have the students write down their thoughts about the book they spent their time reading (did they like it or not, why/why not, favorite part, etc).

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

I like to read books that are on my student's level. This way when we're at the library I can suggest books to them if they are pulling the "I can't find anything to read..."

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

I don't want to hijack this thread... but am I the only person who hates the "sustained" part of the name? I just think it sounds so harsh and unpleasant. We did it when I was in Middle School and everyone dreaded it, mostly because of it's name. There has got to be a better name for it!

Back to the topic, I think you should read books for your grade level. The kids will appreciate it and you may influence them to take what they are reading seriously since you are reading the same thing!

Love your avatar Kena! So cute!

7. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

I read books from my second grade leveled book library, so usually I'm reading a J or K (F&P guided reading level) book. Since my kids are still learning how to "do" SSR, it's important for me to model what SSR should look like. I even join them in writing a brief reading response at the end of SSR, only I write mine on the board for all to see. When their appropriate SSR behaviors are more or less ingrained, I'll begin pulling individual kids to read so I can do running records.

Right now they can "sustain" silent reading for 10 minutes with 10 extra minutes for a brief written response. Before they leave me for 3rd grade, they'll sustain their silent reading for 20 minutes + 10 minutes for writing.

8. SadieLady

SadieLady Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

DEAR

I call it DEAR time - Drop Everything And Read.

9. TallTeacher

TallTeacher Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

I also call it DEAR. I read books I enjoy. I think it's good for the kids to see that I like books as a person. I could see the kids looking at me reading only grade-level books as being phoney. I've read some and enjoyed them, but I enjoy my own books as well.

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 30, 2009

We call it DIRT- Daily Independent Reading Time

I read books from the class library. I like to be an example and discuss the books with them.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 30, 2009

That series is rather good.

Another book around 5th grade level that is pretty good, Hidden Talents. I believe it is by David Lubar.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 31, 2009

One thing I'm going to attempt to do with my students is actually read when they're reading. We use to have 2 periods a week of 40 minutes of reading quietly--- we have a new schedule this year so I'm not sure what it'll look like now. But the other teacher in my room at the time and I always did work while the students read. I think it might be much more relaxing if I myself read with them and it would show them that reading is important.

I think it's important to model reading things that you enjoy personally to read, so I would probably stick to a book on par with my reading ability. I get why teachers would read kids' level books, but I'm hoping to model for them that you should never stop reading. :)

13. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

Me too. Only it's kind of hypocritical since we'll drop everything BUT our response journals in case we want to write down a connection/comment/word to look up later.

14. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

Same here since our DEAR time is right after the tardy bell. There always seems to be last minute HW folder checks or parent notes to read or something to keep me from sitting in my area (since I don't have a desk) and read. I love reading children's books though and am currently reading Gregor the Overlander. I am going to try and get everything done before the bell so I can model true "Dropping" of everything and reading!

15. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

I read my own book unless I have some new class books that I want to read. I pick books that have plain covers - no half naked people or skulls.
    A lot of students don't see reading adults and I think that it's good to have at least one role model.

16. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Sep 1, 2009

This is what I really want to do with this class. There's so much else I have to get done in the morning while they are reading (attendance, lunch count, student planners, notes from home) I'm afraid I won't have time to read myself. I don't want this to be a "do as I say, not as I do" classroom. I want to model good reading as well.