Suspicious teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by substitute_stev, Mar 11, 2021.

1. substitute_stev

substitute_stev Rookie

Mar 11, 2021

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 12, 2021

Wow, defensive much? Maybe it was the first time that teacher saw you and thought you might be new to the building. They were willing to help you if you needed it and you think they are sus? Yeah, you might want to quit if you are overqualified. SMH. Chill a little. An attitude like that will definitely keep people away from you, especially when you DO need help.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2021

If you are not in a classroom or sitting in the lounge, where are you loitering that a someone can eyeball you for 5 minutes? I'd be suspect of someone, even with a lanyard with a badge, who is in a location for 5 minutes unless it was pretty obvious you were standing outside of the door of a teacher's room for a few minutes before class change.

More likely they do it because you are waiting in an odd area, not doing anything for a long time, and badges can be stolen or faked.

Oh, how do you know they are eyeballing you for 5 minutes if you aren't eyeballing them? Maybe they are wondering why a stranger is eyeballing them for 5 minutes? So, their behavior is actually rather proper. You loiter for 5 minutes and keep looking at them (which would be the only way you would know they are looking over at you). It is natural to approach and ask if if they could help as a way to read the situation. You are probably making them more uncomfortable because you are the stranger in the situation.

About quitting... If you can't land a full time teaching position or long term sub and have two master's degrees, it is probably a good idea if you aren't going to look elsewhere for a full time teaching position to get out.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2021

I think the sensitivity comes from the quote above. If you do quit and find another position that you feel overqualified, will it be the same reaction?

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2021

My first thought was that whoever was being mindful of "staff" who didn't ring a bell in their head would be a positive for whoever questioned you. I've been known to ask someone I don't know if I can be of service - you would be surprised at how often the answer is yes, they are lost (uncertain) in the building and they are trying to get to point B, but they just can't find it. As for being overqualified for your job title, the person you are going off on has no idea if you are the sub who couldn't take attendance versus the one who could really teach anything. I would suggest being a little less prickly - in school, everyone should be vigilant with ANY person they don't recognize on sight. Maybe your "detractor" is newer than you are. In that case, bravo for the teacher being so observant.

If you are going to sub, you might want to give some serious thought about how much any of the teachers in all the schools you work at know about you or your education. Only you, through your actions, can impress enough by what your actions, which will probably make you virtually unforgettable.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 12, 2021

I think asking who you are isn't so bad but the person should never be rude about it. It sounds like that's your main issue. If they seemed friendly and genuinely inquired as to how they could help you (because you looked new) then that shouldn't be a problem.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 12, 2021

Who has enough free time to eyeball someone for five minutes? I’m lucky to have enough time to pee, much less eyeball people in the building.

I’d much rather someone asked me if I needed help than just ignore me. We are told to watch for unfamiliar people in the building. One of my colleagues called out the new superintendent for walking around the building without a name tag or visitor badge.

a2z likes this.
  9. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Mar 14, 2021

Lmao @ that one

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 15, 2021

substitute teaching=no respect. It just goes with the territory. Trust me though, I am so thankful for the good substitute teachers out there. I am sorry that more teachers don't respect you. I don't think I will live to see the day that substitute teachers are respected.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 15, 2021

Next time, at the start of the eyeballing, maybe go up to them and introduce yourself so they don't have time to even wonder how suspicious you look! Beat them at their own game.