Suspended and Removed from Head Coaching Position

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HSCoach, Feb 25, 2016.

1. HSCoach

HSCoach Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

Looking for advice on what to do next!!!!
    Situation: I was the Head Softball Coach/Advanced Biology Teacher until last week.
    Incident That Occurred:
    I am in my 4th year teaching/coaching and my daughter is a student and played for me. I have had full custody of her since she was 3 yrs old. She had gotten grounded the day before at home. After practice was over and fixing to leave, I told her lets go. She became disrespectful and defiant and stated she was going to her moms. I than told her she wasn't. She began walking away, with me trying to catch up with her. Her mom (my ex-wife) than arrives and an argument between her mom and I occurred ending with her speeding off with my daughter.
    After calming down I went to my P at the gym for a basketball game and told him of the incident and that it got heated and she left with my daughter.
    The following day, I was called and told not to come to work for the day because he would be conducting a formal investigation on me about the incident that took place.
    The following day I attended a meeting but wasn't allowed to report to work only to attend the meeting. At the meeting I was asked to tell my side of what took place. I told the same as I had already done when we spoke two days previous. I told then to go home and my P said he would contact me. They afternoon I was suspended for the next 3 days without pay, I could return after suspension was served. I than returned only to have my ex to meet with my P two days later. I was called out of class and questioned about a different allegation made by my ex that morning. I denied the allegation emphatically and told they had to ask and not to worry. I was called back to a meeting with the superintendent after lunch and he informed me that I would be removed as head coach based on his meeting he had earlier with my ex.
    How do I fight this. I mean it's my own child that I was trying to parent that caused the incident and my ex stirring the pot to get at me. The Superintendent told me I had no parental rights while I was on campus with my child????
    I have started the grievance process but what do I do next? Please help and advise please.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 25, 2016

Wow. I'm so sorry. No advice but you have my sympathies.

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2016

You have custody for many years, wife takes daughter and speeds off after and argument, and you are suspended. Makes no sense unless there is more to it or the Supt. is dense. You need the law on your side and not some Supt. who sounds over his head. You have my sympathy. The daughter is HS age now and don't the courts allow them to decide which parent to live with then?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Backroads likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 25, 2016

I would do nothing until I spoke with my lawyer!

6. taylornathaniel

taylornathaniel Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

If you don't mind me asking, was are the allegations? There has to be more to the story that would result in your situation, because what you provide us just doesn't add up for what is happening to you.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2016

I feel like there are some details missing.

What were the allegations? Did the altercation become physical at any point?

Have you contacted your attorney?

8. HSCoach

HSCoach Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

My ex came to the school the next morning after the incident and claimed I grabbed my daughter and tried to forcibly remove her from her vehicle. WHICH DID NOT HAPPEN PERIOD!!! If it was true I know my ex all to well, she would have filed charges for assault. The district is now saying they have a video of they incident from a cell phone and that at the end when she took off it appears I am reaching in the vehicle. I did reach and grab at the vehicle to keep from getting ran over. I have said that from the start. But I did not try to remove my daughter from the vehicle. The district hasn't shown me any video they claim to have. Besides they reinstated me after the suspension. I was removed the following week after my ex made new allegations to the superintendent that I had been talking to other parents of players trying to slander my daughter with my intent being to get back at her for what took place. WHICH DID NOT HAPPEN!!!! The one parent whose name was told I had talked to went to the P and told him I had never talked to him about my daughter in a negative way period. The only person that said I did was my ex. Still they never provided any support to her claims.

9. HSCoach

HSCoach Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

And in regards of being of age to decide where she lives is true. But that has to take place with a change of custody hearing at which time my daughter can tell the judge that she wants to live with her mom now, and in all likelihood that change in custody would be granted. But at the time of the incident and still am the legal primary custodial parent. That has not changed nor has anything been filed requesting that change.

10. HSCoach

HSCoach Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

Thank you Pallas I am trying. I understand that it seems as though there is more to the story and it is hard to understand but I have never heard of anything such as this happen nor can I find in trying to educate myself as to how I fight this, any legal cases that have been filed and ruled on involving a teacher being suspended or terminated because of a teacher or coach's actions that took place between them and there own child. Nor can I find a policy or procedure that defines what is or isn't allowed when an incident takes place on campus between a parent who teaches at the school their child also attends.

11. HSCoach

HSCoach Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

It's as though in order to just shut her up and not have to deal with her they took the high road by removing me and she would go away.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2016

It sounds like this altercation was very heated and that everyone was volatile. You were afraid that you'd get run over? That sounds like a mess. I guess I can see why people might be concerned.

Have you talked with your attorney?

13. HSCoach

HSCoach Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

Yes it was heated, never denied that, my daughter was being disrespectful and defiant so as a father I was mad at her actions. Her mother only added to that by her actions towards me. I never denied it being heated. But it was a matter between parent and child, nothing that took place had nothing to do with a school matter or coach/player conflict. It just happened to take place at a campus location after school hours and after practice was over with.

14. HSCoach

HSCoach Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

The part that is crazy is not once has the school shown me any proof of what they allege or what my ex has alleged. It's just hearsay

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 25, 2016

It does sound as if your family life and career had a crazy collision. Definitely lawyer up on this one and, if possible, talk with your union rep about it as well.

16. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 25, 2016

It sounds like they're saying that while your daughter is on school property, she is to be treated as a student on your team, and that's why they freaked that you (allegedly) grabbed her. There are definitely some weird issues when a child is in a parent's school.

17. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2016

Are you in a union? If you are then get them involved ASAP. In the very least they should provide you with legal advice.

18. Math

Math Cohort

Feb 27, 2016

Are there any cameras that could have seen this situation taking place?