Survived my first interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachart, May 30, 2013.

1. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 30, 2013

After a phone interview with the Principal, I went in for my first official interview. 9 person panel, most teachers. I did ok, I was never at a loss for words, used my portfolio effectively, left a mini portfolio (although they had printed out my entire application for each panel member, my mini portfolio included student art samples so that was good!)

Totally forgot to ask what the next steps in the hiring process. I got there early so I saw 2 people before me and the person after me. 2 of them were carrying GIANT art portfolios. I've been told that wasn't expected but it was a little shocking - I much preferred the digital prints of my huge drawings instead of lugging them around.

Question: What on earth do I say in the thank you note? Do I mail one to the principal or e-mail the principal and panel? (I did not catch ANY of their names!)

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 30, 2013

Questions - Tell us about yourself

Why do you want this position.

What experiences do you have that have prepared you?

What would we see in your classroom?

What do you do outside of instruction to promote student learning? (I talked a lot about student art shows)

What interests do you have outside of teaching?

What kind of learner are you, tell us about how you learned something?

What types of instructional strategies do you use?

What 3 things would you need to know if we hired you?

If a 5th grader said he hated the lesson what would you do? (Easy, I answered with a story of a 5th grader that said he hated a portrait lesson, it turned out he had severe anxiety so I was able to give him personal support and assistance so that he was successful.)

Do you have experience working on a team?

Those are the ones I remember. I was able to weave in ALL my talking points so that made me happy, and about halfway through (it was 25 minutes long, the lady before me only lasted 15!) the room lightened up, I got some laughter and it felt much more like a conversation than an interrogation. Hard to do when each panel member was assigned a specific question!

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

May 31, 2013

when i wrote my thank you note i reinforced my desire to teach in that school as well as what we discussed in the interview (reinforced why i would be the best candidate). i only interviewed with a p so i just sent it to him (typed but snail mailed)

as for the "next steps" you can always call hr.

5. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 31, 2013

Congrats! I completely fumbled my first interview, but have learned from my mistakes since last year :)

You can send a thank you email to the principal and ask any questions you may have forgotten during your interview. I know I have said in interviews that I knew I would have other questions as I drove home and the principal (or panel) welcomed me to send them an email to ask any further questions.

Does the school website have pictures so you can try to spot any other panel members? If you can't, apologize (I've blamed interview nerves) that you did not catch the names of all the panel members but to please extend your thanks and appreciation to each one.

6. DSD

DSD Rookie

May 31, 2013

Congratulations on surviving the first interview! I just got back from my first official interview, too.

I think you can email the principal and extend thank you's to all the people involved in the interview. I just sent my thank you email and said I appreciated the opportunity to meet with the AP and P and observe a class and am looking forward to coming in for the demo lesson next week (they offered it to me as I was leaving the building!).

7. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 31, 2013

Thanks everyone!

The Principal just called me for a demo lesson on Monday! I didn't even get a chance to send a thank you so I told her on the phone instead. I will still mail a formal thank you but I will do my demo lesson before it gets there - however I think it will arrive right after my demo which will reinforce how much I want the job.

Thanks!

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 31, 2013

Congrats and good luck with the demo lesson! That's great that you got called for a demo after your first interview. My first interview was a large panel too and very scary! It definitely gets easier with time for sure with interviewing. My first year interviewing I really felt like I did horrible on all my interviews and never got called back for second rounds. But my second year around, I got called for the second round for every interview. Good luck!!

9. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 3, 2013

Well I survived my demo too!

I woke up sick on Saturday so I wasn't my best and I didn't have my materials too prepared. (I brought all the paints/paper/brushes myself but didn't have them distributed in time for the students to walk in.)

That said I did ok.

I e-mailed the Principal to express my thanks since I saw the next candidate as I walked out and wanted her to get my e-mail ASAP.

She just wrote back and said she enjoyed my lesson and would be contacting me soon.

Trying not to get my hopes up, this is so hard! The candidate after me was in a maxi dress but she seemed to know some people at the school so I feel very insecure.

10. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 3, 2013

Wait - the principal actually responded to your thank you message? That's got to be a good sign.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2013

Yay! Fingers crossed for you!

12. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 3, 2013

Thanks! I am so much more nervous now than I was before any of the 3 interviews. (They also interviewed me today before and after my lesson, 3 teachers and the Principal.)

I just keep thinking that if she wanted to offer me the job she would've in the e-mail haha. What a test of patience.

13. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 4, 2013

Principal called me to say I was being recommended to the Superintendent and to expect a call to set up a final interview. Don't be too excited.

Then she called back to say I should call the assistant super to set up the meeting.

HELP should I be nervous? Do you think they are recommending more than 1 person?

14. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Jun 4, 2013

Congrats in making it so far in the interview process! I don't know if they are recommending more then one person every school has a different process but I think it's a really good thing! Just curious as fellow art teacher what demo lesson did you do and did it have to be finished? My last demo was for high school and I brought most of my own material as well. I'm thinking ahead if I get called for one for elementary. I don't know that I can afford to bring all the supplies lol. Congrats again and keep us updated.

15. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 4, 2013

Thanks! The secretary called back and referred to it as "...the 2nd round, or I guess now for you it's the 3rd and final round." Taking that as a good sign :)

Rbart - This job is at 2 elementary schools. At one I will teach all the students, at the other I will teach half the students and the other elementary art teacher will (and currently) teaches the other half. It was the Principal at this school that is leading the hiring process and asked me to do a demo lesson with the kinder class here teaching art history and an element of art.

All my kinder lessons use books (esp Eric Carle) so I turned to my home districts art curriculum, which includes Georgia O'Keeffe and the element of line. Their art classes are only 35 minutes long and I had under 30 minutes for the demo lesson! The lesson I wrote called for 2 class periods.

If you message me, I can send you my lesson plan. It's certainly not the most original (watercolor painting O'Keeffe flowers using silk flowers) so I have no problem sharing it. I went big though, and didn't play it safe even though my cooperating teachers suggested I did. I figured, if I am going to be teaching 35 minute classes and I have to give a 30 minute demo lesson, I am going to show how I would teach painting.

Of course the kids didn't finish. When I announced clean up time the kids were so disappointed. The other art teacher was on the panel and currently teaches their class (and has a child in the class.) She asked if they wanted to finish on Thursday and the kids exclaimed YES! I think that was another good sign.

I should also mention that both Principals, the other elem. art teacher, and a 2nd grade teacher were on the demo interview. They interviewed me 10 minutes before the lesson and 10 minutes after, mostly asking about how I was going to teach the lesson, how I had prepared for different learning styles, how I would check for understanding. And how I assessed learning, what was successful, what wasn't (The fact that the materials were not distributed before the class walked in was a big one and I told them I am the kind of teacher that gets there early every day to get EVERYTHING ready so that doesn't happen!)

TL;DR: Interview with Asst. Super is on Monday. My demo lesson was on Georgia O'Keeffe creating watercolor flowers. They asked for a 30 minute lesson with kinders that taught art history and an element of art.

16. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 4, 2013

If I knew the school had 45-50 minute art classes and I only had 20-30 minutes for a demo, I might do a one-hit-wonder so the kids could walk away with something - maybe a Kandinsky hat project. In this case it was more important for me to show I was not afraid of a short period and not afraid to get messy!

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2013

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PM me the district- I'm curious!

18. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 4, 2013

I think I sent you a message - I know I typed it out but I am so scatterbrained I might not've pressed send :)