Survived G-Day

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MathManTim, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Today was G-Day, the first day with live kids. I got to work at 7:00 am, and the first kids came pouring in at 7:50. They are all good kids! I had a little trouble getting some of them to quiet down at times, but I chalked a lot of that up to first-day-of-school excitement and jitters. Some disorganization as well, but nothing too bad. I finally left the school a little after 5:00, but I still have a lot of prep work to do for tomorrow.

Anyway, I got through the first day. I'm exhausted, but I have to pull myself together. Now that I actually have one day of experience, hopefully G-plus 1 will go at least as well as today went.

Thank you all for the encouragement and well-wishing these past 7 months. I've finally made it and am now teaching.

G-plus 11 hours, 10 minutes

MathManTim

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

Yay Tim!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

YAY!!! :thumb:

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2009

Yay! I have just under 2 weeks left until I can say that.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

That's great!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

Hooray! Glad to hear that all went well. First day down...

Be prepared to continue to feel that exhaustion for the first couple of weeks; it does get better, though. Be sure to get lots of sleep, you don't want to get sick.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

Good to hear! Stay tough on those kids or they will run the show. Don't feel guilty if you're strict. Students usually respect the strict teachers more! Have a blast tomorrow and don't work too late tonight. You need your "beauty" rest too!

9. NJTeacher82

NJTeacher82 Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

MathMan..what grade? Congrats on the first day! I have about 2 weeks left.

10. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Geometry, so 95% of my students are high school sophomores. I have a couple of juniors and one senior, each of whom are new to the school this year.

Thank you all for the congratulations.

G-Plus 12 hours, 20 minutes

MathManTim

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 17, 2009

Today was our first day with students, too. It was a GREAT day. I am utterly exhausted, though. Didn't get any sleep last night, could not turn off brain so just quit trying at about 2am and got up and did some work.

It's going to be a good year! :)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

I'm glad to hear it went so well!

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

Congratulations! My daughter just had her 9th grade year in geometry. Remember that geometry is one of the hardest math subjects to teach. Kids either really get it or really like it, or they don't. There was a high number of kids in her school that did not enjoy the experience. She kept a low B all year and that was with additional tutoring each week. At her high school teachers are required to provide tutoring at least once a day each week. Luckily her teacher usually had 2 days of tutoring. It is a good thing that she went to tutoring because her teacher's first impression was that she was not putting forth effort in class. Later, she admitted to my daughter had been all wrong. It is a good thing that she went to tutoring and wanted to do well. It really helped. Just remember there will be kids like her out there and parents like me. We all love our kids and want them to succeed. Remember to not only "teach" them the math, but "show" them how to do it. I understand repetition with geometry is key as is learning all the different formulas. Her teacher had them take formula tests as well as regular geometry tests and she had to keep up a notebook on all the theories that was regularly turned in a a test grade. She was in honors geometry. THANK YOU for taking the time to listen and I hope her experience will help you in some small way! Happy NEW job!:)

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

Sorry for the typos. It is still early and my fingers aren't working.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

Something to add to SC's comments:

Tim, I'm teaching mostly geometry this year too, for the first time in ages. I agree: you're going to find that some kids who "have always done well in math" struggle with geometry, and it's going to blow a few minds. On the flip side, some kids who have never done particularly well are going to be stunned to find that this class comes easily to them. Be prepared for some teenage angst.

Also, on the subject of extra help: I have kids sign in and out to extra help; I have a looseleaf binder specifically for that purpose. It has come in handy on numerous occasions when kids-- or parents-- have claimed that someone was at extra help when in fact there was no record of him or her being there. It's a lifesaver!

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 19, 2009

I was one of those that didn't get algebra but loved geometry.

I was checking in to see how your days are going. Keep posting your first week.

17. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 19, 2009

Your first year is a lot of work, hopefully your passion will help you coast through it. I am now to the point (starting my 4th year) where I am hanging in my room after school trying to figure out what I should do....but everything is done! Your management/organization skills are going to explode after a couple years teaching.

Congrats and have a great first year. I love your positive attitude!