Survival Mode

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PinkCupcake, Apr 28, 2013.

1. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 28, 2013

The countdown to the end of the year is on. The students start to get crazy, and I'm looking for some end of year tips and tricks. I'm thinking of doing a different seating arrangement tomorrow. What are you best tips and tricks for survival mode? I need some fresh ideas for class/individual rewards and centers. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 28, 2013

Yes, the countdown is on. Don't remind them though. For you make it seem like a special time of the year that you are happy to see because they are now ready for more grown up work. Here are some ideas.

2nd graders are usually excited to be treated as "bigger" kids. See if the 3rd grade teacher will allow you to borrow some 3rd grade math books and allow them to use them a bit. Make it a big deal that they get to do 3rd grade math! If you can't get 3rd grade math books, then get some 3rd grade math worksheets. My 3rd graders use to be so excited that they got to use the 4th grade books near the end of the year.

Next, look to see if the 2nd graders need reviewing in some area. I'm sure they probably have some area that needs reviewing. Instead of just reviewing the material, get them to learn the material so they can be 1st grade teachers. Couple up with the 1st grade teacher and pair up the students with 1st graders and allow them to teach the 1st graders.

This is also a great time for science experiments and other items that build their love of learning. This can be related to some of the standards in your grade. I would save my best 4 Science experiments of the year for this time of the year when I taught 3rd grade. They would be related to the standards and they were quizzed on them as well. It didn't matter. They loved the experiments and looked forward to school nearly to the end.

These 3 have helped me a lot. Others might have other ideas to add to these. :)

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2013

All About Me posters would be GREAT!
    Have each child do a poster board collage of their self.
    It can be filled with answers to the following;
    Favorites;
    animal, author, book, color, dessert, food, junk food, letter, number and why, movie, person I admire, restaurant, song, store, subject, and anything else that you can think about. The final sentence for them to complete...When I grow up, I want to be ______________________________!
    Make it fun, cool, and exciting. Give them each a time to share in front of the class, OR hang them on the walls for the class to check out.:cool:
    Good luck!
    Rebel1

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 28, 2013

Some thing I plan on doing in May:
    -Reader's theater instead of guided reading
    -Mustache Day (my kids are obsessed!)
    -Watching Charlotte's Web (we're reading the book right now)

6. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 29, 2013

We'll definitely be doing some review. I love the idea of pairing up with 1st graders. Thanks for the awesome ideas!

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 29, 2013

We do a lot of in-class projects because it's something different, the kids get into it and it's less stress on the teacher. Last year we did the following:

1. Around the world in 10 days (each group either chooses or was assigned a country, then the kids spent 2 weeks putting together a presentation about that country's culture, food, clothes, customs, etc. I helped by printing out kid-friendly articles and gathering fiction and non fiction texts about the country)

2. Yearbook (I have a hardcopy template, but if you really want it, I'm sure I can either email a doc or find the link.) Basically it has a bunch of questions about the year that the kids answer to create an end of the year memory book

3. Class Anthology (the kids write different narratives, then I make copies and bind it together so everyone gets to take home a copy. We make a big deal out of having a "book reading" in which everyone gets to read their narrative, then we go around and the author's sign their stories. The kids love it)

4. In-School Field Trips (we have a moving up day where the kids visit a grade up. We also sign up for computer time in the lab, do a nature walk of the field and woods near the school, watch educational films in other teacher's classrooms and have visitors in ours)

8. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 29, 2013

We just finished reading Charlie and the chocolate factory, watched the 1971 movie and are in the middle of the Johnny Depp version and are getting ready for a small group compare and contrast of the two movies as well as making posters advertising new chocolate/candy inventions:) We will also do a writing on which movie/book version do we prefer....

We just started Charlotte's Web as a read aloud....

Have some neat art projects planned as well as some science experiments...

Only 19 more days for us:) Testing finished last week so we are having some fun while learning!

9. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 29, 2013

We have 3 more weeks of ELA stories to do. Once all that and the benchmark is finished we'll have some more time.

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2013

Today I gave my kids regular lined paper, instead of the handwriting paper with the dashed middle line like we've used all year. I told them that they were going to use this kind of paper in 3rd grade, and I would let them use it today if they were very neat. They wrote quietly for an hour when I only had 30 minutes planned!

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2013

How neat, Danny'sNanny!

12. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Apr 30, 2013

2 helpful resources

If your kids have read Winn-Dixie and you want to do a reader's theater go to Flashlight Reader and get the reader's theater

http://www.scholastic.com/winndixie/play.htm

If you are reading Charlotte's Web, when you get finished there are some great activities at Flashlight Reader

http://www.scholastic.com/charlottesweb/

I'm not volunteering my mustache!

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 30, 2013

Whatever you do - keep them busy! It sounds simple, but it definitely keeps the behavioral issues down. :)

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 30, 2013

I don't feel like they should be losing their ish just yet! (But my kids are too! :lol:) We have SEVEN weeks left. I can do so much in 7 weeks. Stay with meeeeeeeee. :dunno:

We're going to do lots of outside activities. I think I'm going to have them go teach 5th grade like someone mentioned with 1st above. That's cute.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 30, 2013

17 days....

16. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 1, 2013

I ran this by a couple of 1st grade teachers today and they loved the idea!

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 1, 2013

You could have them write letters for the incoming 2nd graders next year to read about what 2nd grade will be like, classroom procedures, etc.

18. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 7, 2013

My class is into reading.

And I mean...into reading.

I have a few who'd rather spin in their seat and find something else to do, but the rest of them beg for time to read.

So, what's a teacher to do?

We've enjoyed classical music playing in the background with LOADS of reading going on; and I've got grading done and ready to roll for report cards!