Survival kits

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by missythemom, Sep 24, 2011.

1. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Sep 24, 2011

Hi everyone, I am new to the substitute teaching world and recently came across the idea of what is called a "survival kit" for substitutes. This would have things in it such as extra worksheets, curriculum based games, stickers, little prizes and so on. Have any of you used this idea in the past, and if you did what did you put in yours and how did it work out for you? I am looking for any help or advice I can get at the moment so I thank you in advance for your replies.:)

3. snapples

snapples Rookie

Sep 24, 2011

I carry around my "bag of tricks" which has a binder with a couple different age appropriate worksheets that I found online or already had. I also have raffle tickets and prizes like stickers if it is a class that needs incentives for behavior. I also bring a couple books with me for down moments in the day or if the kids need some time to chill out. I also have things for me like advil, extra pens and pencils, and a notebook. Hope that helps!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

I think that it would be a great idea to bring something like this to your sub jobs. Most good teachers will leave plans but every now and then something happens where you'll get into a classroom and find that there are no plans. It's better to be prepared so that you don't have to scramble.

Here are some of the things you might want to have....

• A list of writing prompts
    • Fun/interesting articles about different topics and written at different grade levels
    • Math practice worksheets at different grade levels
    • A few read-aloud books
    • A few different index card games ("I have/Who has" is a good one)
    • Some basic office supplies for you (mini stapler, paper clips, pens, pencils, dry erase marker, post-its, notepad)
    • Personal items for you (snack, personal hygiene stuff, ibuprofen, money for the vending machine)

5. kikiboniki

kikiboniki Rookie

Sep 26, 2011

I have a sub bag, so I guess that could be considered my survival kit! Im a pretty new sub, so I'm just gathering different things.
    I usually have :
    -an assortment of books (thin paperbacks, children/ chapter books), paper,
    - PAIN KILLER!... nothing is worse than subbing with a gnarly headache
    -dry erase markers
    - lots of pencils (especially important in middle school, its amazing how many kids do not have pencils ** note, I make them give me their ID cards in exchange for a pencil so that I do not lose all my pencils,
    -a squishy ball to play silent ball with (a great time killer/ reward for well behaved classes),
    -coloring sheets,
    -standards (a sheet of paper that outlines expected behavior.. the idea is that disobedient children have to copy it),
    ***thank you cards (I use these frequently, I write my sub reports on them, always opening with the line "thank you for the opportunity to work with your students today, here's a breakdown of the day)
    -stamps (I like to stamp students work who are doing a great job and tell the teacher to pay attention for stamped work)
    -stickers (great for younger kids)
    - I have these little slips of paper that you can give to well behaved children. They say "your student had a sub today and was caught being good." Comes with a copy for teacher and one for student to send home.

6. kikiboniki

kikiboniki Rookie

Sep 26, 2011

Hey can you explain some of those index card games in more detail? I'm intrigued =)

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 26, 2011

Kiki I love some of your ideas, particularly the page for students to copy if they misbehave and the caught being good cards! Most of the other stuff is similar to what I carry.

This year, we were advised in a sub meeting that anything of an educational nature must be approved by the district first. That includes read-aloud books. I'm not sure how to work with this. I guess in that district I'll just leave my own stuff at home rather than deal with possible fall-out, although I'm not sure how anyone would know I was using "outside" materials.

For those of you that carry worksheets/coloring sheets - where do you make copies? Do you pay for that yourself?

8. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Sep 26, 2011

Besides my purse and lunch I always have:
    Flash cards (addition and multiplication)
    Stickers
    A Pen
    Hand Sanitizer
    Clorox wipes
    A flashlight (I had the power go out when I was subbing 1st and that was not fun!)

9. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Sep 26, 2011

I just grab a book that's already in the classroom to read to them. As far as extra papers, I don't bring anything because most teachers/schools don't want you doing anything that isn't part of the curriculum and we can't make copies in our district without a code so it wouldn't work anyways.

10. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Sep 28, 2011

I am loving all your ideas, keep 'em coming! :)

11. snapples

snapples Rookie

Sep 28, 2011

Also a whistle might be handy. I subbed for P.E. today and realized when I got there that a whistle would have been so helpful. Also you never know when your teacher will be on yard duty and you have to take over.

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 29, 2011

Whistle is good. I have a lanyard where I where a whistle daily. I also have a latch where I hang my sub key for the day. I used to always be patting my pockets looking for the key. Otherwise, all those things are cool. I personally hardly carry any, though I'm starting to accumulate some (still though, hardly reach into my bag tbh). I bring a Kindle (for personal use), I like the idea of aspirin (again, personal), I have a Nerf football that I started bringing... and I'm working on making a buzzer system out of those "that was easy" buttons as a sorta end-of-day thing. But I'm too lazy &/or unskilled to be able to do it (requires soldering, etc.)

13. kikiboniki

kikiboniki Rookie

Oct 1, 2011

i subbed PE last week and they provided me with a whistle attached to the classroom keys. unsanitary much?