Survey: What's your course load?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Odradek, May 2, 2018.

1. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

May 20, 2018

I have rarely had fewer than 4. It’s usually 4 or 5. One of these is AP studio art. My classes range in size from 10-30–it depends on the class.
    I would love to have three. I’ve never had that.

2. ccstwelds

ccstwelds Rookie

May 27, 2018

I'm a CTE teacher, Welding. 1 class per day, all day, A/B schedule Jr's one day Sr's the next.
    Public

3. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 3, 2018

20-26 students, five periods of middle school ELA, 1-2 preps depending on the groups I have. Public school.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 3, 2018

You sound like an experienced teacher so you probably know what to do after doing so many preps year after year. It is still a lot of work, but at least you’re not constantly having to start from scratch, that is, “invent the wheel”. I think it is more doable for teachers to have multiple preps with experience.

What classes do you teach besides AP Studio Art?

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 3, 2018

Wow, 1 class per day, all day. Do you ever get bored teaching the same class?

Personally, I like having so many preps because I get bored teaching the same thing after a while (HS math). One year I’ll teach Algebra 2/Trig, Advanced Pre-Algebra, Applied Math, and Algebra 1; and the next, I’ll teach Geometry, AP Calc AB/BC and AP Stats, or I’ll do a mixture.

When the school year starts, I’ll be teaching a new class called Calc III because the advanced students want to take math behind my AP Stats and AP Calc BC classes. Naturally, I petitioned the principal because why not? And I was approved, thankfully. Yay! I’m so excited and have already planned the entire class last month and can’t wait for the new year.

My end goal is to replace AP Calc AB with AP Calc BC and teach Calc III after students take the BC course since the BC one covers AB concepts anyhow.

Moreover, I’m currently attending a workshop on teaching AP Computer Science A and will take that on in the 2019-2020 school year as our current teacher wanted to teach one more year before he retires. I can’t wait for that one, also.

I like variety so having 1 prep would bore me, personally, but I’m not judging you in any way. Do you like your current teaching arrangement and if not, then why?

6. ccstwelds

ccstwelds Rookie

Jul 3, 2018

I was a welder for 37 years before I became a teacher, this will be my third year. I know my subject well, we also teach employability skills, what I teach is so different, I basically have to run a business and teach, no time to be bored. No 2 classes are the same, the students have classwork for a time then we go into the shop. I'm not bored with what I teach, I like being able to possibly help a kid start a career.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Edugator2016

Edugator2016 New Member

Jul 8, 2018

Public school
    8th grade ELA technically 2 preps, 6 periods a day. I had 5 periods of general ed ELA and 1 period of advance, so I did have to make the advanced class a little different. Prep time was 45 minutes in the morning and 30 in the afternoon. That time was frequently interrupted with PTCs, IEP meetings and PD.
    This year, I've taken a job in alt ed. I don't know which subject they're giving me. I could be science and math, English and history or electives. I've asked for electives since my degree is in a CTE (agricultural education). I technically won't have any preps since the kids do their work on a computer program. I do have to do one on one or small group lessons with struggling students and have started working on supplemental activities. I can't imagine them sitting and working on the computers all day will be pleasant for any of us. They've changed up the schedules so we have 7 period days, so I'll have a 50 minute class period sometime during the day for planning.

8. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

I've found data on this is surprisingly vague, so a quick survey:

What's your course load?
    I teach four different subject areas within business education. Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Business Law, and Sports Marketing.

How many preps do you have?
    One prep

And what's your average class size?
    23 students

Are you at a public, independent, or
    parochial school?

Public school