Survey for Parents

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by geiwee, Dec 19, 2009.

1. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Dec 19, 2009

As a first year teacher I am always interested in feedback! I want to send a survey home to my parents since we are heading toward our winter break and sort of a half way point. I seem to have some parents that are not happy with me, or at least that is the way I feel, so I want to know how they view things. I am going to send an envelope with them so that they can mail them back anonymously if they wish.

Has anyone done this before? Can I see surveys you have sent home before if you have one? What questions should I include?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2009

Although getting feedback can be good, I cannot emphasize enough TO BE VERY CAREFUL about doing this. It can turn into a huge %itch session or give parents an excuse to be negative which sometimes gains momentum and turns into something ugly. Have you talked to your site director? I would definitely get his/her input and approval and be extremely careful about how you word things. You are looking for positive, helpful suggestions not just criticism. Be very clear about your purpose - you don't want parents to think they can run the show. Can you post the questions you were thinking of asking?

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2009

The first and only time our school sent out a survey was 10 years ago!

I wish the school would do that again. Though I never saw a thing the parents wrote, it was beneficial for me as a parent to give my input.

5. elliemay

elliemay Rookie

Dec 21, 2009

Our preschool sends a survey of sorts out near the end of the school year. It includes the parent's assessment of the school, school grounds, playground, etc. There is a section on the child's teacher but very basic. It does have a spot for write-in comments.

I agree with the other responses. Be very careful! Remember that you are the professional. You will learn, through experience, that you cannot please all people no matter what you do or change for them. Just because one parent does/doesn't like xyz doesn't mean another parent will agree/disagree.

Hope this helps!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

I help run a playgroup for parents and kids who are involved with out birth-3 program (through the school district)... we do a survey at the end of each playgroup with a couple 1-5 ratings, then these questions:
    My child's favorite activity was:
    My favorite activity was:
    Topics i'd like to see covered in other meetings:
    Any other ideas:

Although we usually have an idea of what people think, it's nice to have them write these things down :)