Surprise Placement!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FourSquare, Jul 1, 2010.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 1, 2010

So I entered my teacher residency in the 3rd-5th grade cohort with the expectation of teaching 4th or 5th grade. I worked in a 3rd grade classroom last year and expressed a desire to go older just for fun. Today we got our assignments and I'm going to......

Second Grade!

LOL WUT?

I'm REALLY excited...but I don't know what to do with 2nd graders. Everything I've been planning for has been 4th/5th grade. I definitely have some adjusting to do. I've ignored everything K-2 cause I wasn't supposed to be there. Woops! :whistle:

Tell me about seven year olds. :)

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

Congrats!

They'll love you! They still love school. Good luck.

4. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

Congratulations! 2nd graders are a lot of fun! They are so enthusiastic about school, and they are still learning so many things for the first time...it is so rewarding! :)

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

I've taught 2nd, 3rd, and 6th. Second grade wasn't my favorite. I like having the older kids. The funny thing is I thought I was more suited for younger grades until I got a job teaching 6th grade. This may be a blessing in disguise and lead you to find out what grade really works for you. Good Luck!

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

I was assigned to 2nd as a student teacher and was devastated. I thought they would be "such babies." I loved every minute of it. It's a great year. Best of luck.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

My daughter is entering 2nd grade. It's a wonderful, magical age.

She plays school constantly. It's her whole life. She fills our dinner table conversation with information on who did what and why they did it.

She's all about snuggles. She goes to the nurse if she thinks she'll have a headache next week.

She's incredibly compassionate. If one of her classmates is upset, she'll go out of her way to help him feel better.

She has trouble reading, but works her tail off trying. Many adults could take a lesson from Kira when it comes to challenges.

She has no patience for anyone who is "rude" to her or to anyone else.

She still KNOWS that Santa and the Tooth Fairy are real. Losing a tooth is still a real event.

I think you're going to LOVE dealing with 7 year olds!!!!!

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

Second graders are wonderful, this will be my 12th year with them.

They are tattle-tells, it's just their job.

They're active and love doing "hands-on" activities.

They're still losing baby teeth.

They're still babies, really many of them are. You'll be amazed at the maturity between the first of the year and the end of the year.

They LOVE their teacher and will want hugs, pats on the back, and desparatly want to please you.

You'll have a great year.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

You are going to LOVE second graders and second grade in general. They are starting to get some humor, they can be independent, they still LOVE their teachers, they are eager to please you, they are SO excited about learning new things etc. They are awesome!
    If you don't have a copy already, I would recommend the book Yardsticks by Chip Wood. It is all about developmental levels/ages and what to expect in each! Totally worth any teacher owning.
    COngrats. on second grade. You'll love it!

10. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 2, 2010

I second (and third etc.) what most everyone else is saying above. I taught 2nd grade for three years and absolutely loved it. I didn't think I would ever move levels (and probably wouldn't have except I had the chance to loop with every teacher's dream class). The majority of the students I had in 2nd were there to do a job. According to them the job they had to do was learn what I was trying to teach them so that they would keep me happy with them. They were terrific.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

I have a background in PreK/K and one year I was placed in 2nd grade....and it just wasn't me. I'm much more suited to the singy-songy, hands-on little guys. However, I was so impressed that I could just write something on the board and they could do it. They could read. That alone blew my mind, after teaching PreK for 5 years. I could work independently with a small group and not be interupted 16 times in 5 minutes. They understood roles in group work and followed them to a T. They are still really rules-oriented and still love school (and you!) and want to please.