Surname as first name trend & One Tree Hill

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LUCHopefulTeach, May 20, 2011.

1. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 20, 2011

So I understand that surnames as first names is very trendy right now especially with women using their maiden names. In fact, my favorite boy name of all time is a surname. I get it.

However, they have overdone it on One Tree Hill and it's become predictable and uncreative. Does anyone else agree?

Hailey James Scott gives birth to a boy: James Lucas Scott
    Peyton Sawyer Scott gives birth to a girl: Sawyer Brooke Scott
    Brooke Davis gives birth to twin boys: Davis and Jude (fathers name is Julian)

This wouldn't work with my last name, Smith, and I do like the idea of it. I just don't understand why a TV show would do this 3 for 3.

Has anyone else ever given their child a surname as a first name?

Do any OTH fans think they've overdone this on the show?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

My surname would not work with this.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2011

My family names after either the names of deceased relatives or the same initials of living relatives. For example, my niece Gloria is after her late maternal grandmother while my cousin's daughter Aubrey shares her initials with her paternal great-grandmother Alice.

Thankfully, only my middle name is an honorific. Otherwise, I might have been a Babette or Beatrice, and neither suit me.

5. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 20, 2011

My mother-in-law's surname was Reed, and that is my husband's first name. My father-in-law also goes by his mother's surname. That tradition stopped with our kids because my surname would make a HORRIBLE first name!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 20, 2011

There's some last names that I really like as first names, like Cooper, but my last name would never work as a first name.

7. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

May 20, 2011

My brother name is our paternal grandmothers maiden name.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 20, 2011

Mine would make a cool first name, but a second cousin already did that in my family so I probably wouldn't.

My BFs middle name is his mom's maiden name.

His dad's middle name sounds like a last name, but BF doesn't know if it was someone's last name or not. (His dad has passed away). We have talked about using it as the first name for our kid. It could work for a boy or a girl.

I feel like this has been trendy for awhile. Madison, Carter, Cooper, Tyler, Taylor, Conner, Riley... When I was in middle school my friends and I used to always write stories - and my main character was always a female named "Carter." I still like the way that sounds. lol.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 20, 2011

My maiden name could be kind of cool, but only if you drop the 'e' so it's Moor. Dh's middle name was a last name in the family-Knoll-and we've thought about using it as a first name. But was not his mother's last name.

10. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 20, 2011

My children are McClain and Jackson both surnames not my maiden name.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

My mom's maiden name is Jackson...I like that as a first name but didn't use it for either of my sons. My maiden name wouldn't work...

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 20, 2011

We used my mom's maiden name for our daughter--kelly.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 20, 2011

Our last name wouldn't work as a first name. However, the middle name (which is a surname) has been passed down to the first born for generations.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

My last name is sometimes used as a first name. I love it as a first name! I've seen hoosband's last name used as a first name, though spelled differently. I don't love that one quite as much.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 20, 2011

I don't watch One Tree Hill, but I know in the south, we use last names as middle and first names all the time. It's very common in my family. Unfortunately, my husband's middle name is associated with a very popular piece of teen literature, so that name is not really usable any more.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 20, 2011

DH's cousin used her maiden name, Bailey, as her daughter's first name. I know a whole lot of people who have a maiden name as a first or middle name.