Supt's remarks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Missy, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 31, 2013

We have been in school 3 weeks, but yesterday was a full day of PD for the entire staff on the new Ohio teacher evaluation system. After congratulating us on last year (top 10 out of 600 districts), the superintendent segued into that evening's football game against the local parochial HS. He stated that everything would be perfect if we could just beat those d--- Catholics.

I was highly offended, as were many others.

Are we over-reacting?

3. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 31, 2013

Yes, you are.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 31, 2013

Because of the relationships among our staff and admin, hardly no one would be offended by this if it was meant as a joke.

But, I can understand if someone were offended if there isn't a friendly camaraderie between admin and staff.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2013

I'm one of those Catholics, hoping very much not to be d...'ed.

I see what he was going for, and wouldn't go beyond a headshake from me.

But he should have thought before speaking, particularly as an administrator.

Would it have been OK if, instead of "Catholics" he said "Blacks" or "Jews"?? I'm guessing there would have been a gasp followed by a deafening silence.

Again, no serious harm done, but he really should have thought.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 31, 2013

I'm catholic and I don't like it. Each team has a mascot. It would be easy to say Trojans, Knights, etc... Instead. Our supt would NEVER say anything like that.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 31, 2013

That's pretty unprofessional! Did it seem like a slip?

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2013

I think it's completely understandable to be offended...but knowing some of the more relaxed natures of people in the districts I've worked for, this wouldn't surprise me or personally bother me too much. It's pretty unprofessional, but we tend to be less buttoned up than many.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2013

I'm not defending the comment, but it's just possible that the superintendent intended a reference to the musical D--- Yankees (the name is spelled out in the original: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Yankees).

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2013

I think you're being far too generous, TG! :)

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 31, 2013

He has a reputation for thinking before speaking. He and I have a good relationship, but this was said in front of over 600 teachers. I have had a lot of calls and texts, as I represent the elementary teachers.

Thanks, TG, but I doubt he has heard of the musical, based on knowing other things about him.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2013

Yes, over-reacting This is a form of PC
    There is two ways to look this:
    The Supt is being un-PC
    You are being over sensitive ​
    I think it is both ......

Using my Reading clues I find the term "Darn Catholics" is not directed at the Catholic religion but only the football team.

When I was in Jr Hi I played in a church Basketball league we would always say "Beat those Catholics, Methodists, etc," Of course we didn't use the word darn.

I get offended when people want to beat Notre Dame and say beat those darn Irish
    I will maybe saying it come 10/05/13 when ASU plays Notre Dame

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

He did NOT say darn. Is it ok to disrespect a football team?

Why is it ok for you to be offended on behalf of Notre Dame?

Many staff members, Catholic and non- Catholic alike, thought it was inappropriate.

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2013

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

Your Supe was unthinking...probably thought he was being funny. There's really nothing you can do about a single comment. As rude and stinging as it feels, your colleagues need to put this away :sorry:...if however, such comments were ongoing, created a hostile work environment, affected hiring practices...THEN you'd have case to take some action.

17. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2013

Personally, I think someone close to him needs to mention that teachers are upset so he is more aware in the future and maybe apologizes for his remarks. Not make a big deal of it, but he should know.

18. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

Welcome to America... fans bashing other teams have been happening for decades. Is it "disrespecting"? Okay, maybe so. But where does one draw the line between rivalry and slandering?

As Dave said, I think it was geared towards the team and not the religion. I'm an A's fan. If a d--- Giants fan came and said, "We're going to squash you freakin' A's!" I don't think I'd be offended. In life there is so much more to be offended by than that.

But then again, if somebody were to tell me: "You d--- Italians are always speaking with your hands!" I also wouldn't be offended... because again... the whole "sticks & stones" principle would be called into play for me. Their opinion would hold less-than-zero value to me.

scmom has EXCELLENT advice - somebody who is close to him can mention that some personnel was offended. He can then choose to publicly apologize (wise move) and/or not do the same thing in the future. *shrug*

We all make mistakes. Not one of us is perfect. He may have not thought out his words carefully (apparently to some people, he didn't).

To say "many people were offended". "Many" is vague. Does "many" mean the majority? Does "many" mean you and 11 or 12 others? (out of 600 people)?

But again... number really doesn't matter, does it? I say perhaps somebody could advise him about his faux pas and hopefully the district can move on in their lives...

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

This isn't a random 'somebody' trash talking about sports teams. It's the SUPERINTENDENT. He could have just as easily expressed his team spirit by saying 'Lets beat Saint Joe's tonight'...I'm sure that wouldn't have ruffled feathers. This reminds me of a post a short while ago when a teacher (maybe orangetea? ) was addressed by her Supe during a large meeting with a comment that he was surprised she could speak English so well...Both instances, while perhaps not with malicious intent, were thoughtless, ignorant utterances by a person in a position of power over those to whom he is speaking.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 1, 2013

I agree.

21. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2013

Missy, in regard to Notre Dame please look up at my screen name I was being funny.

As to using the term "Darn" instead of D@mn, it was to get past the Censor I know the word was not Darn

I come from a different generation and gender
    It is a matter of "who's Ox is gored" I didn't find it offensive at all.
    I guess it has to do with psychology of sports and warfare.

22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

He actually makes remarks that are inappropriate quite often. When I was association president, I mentioned it to him, and he agreed that often he didn't think before he spoke. It has improved. But this was a large meeting, on an important issue. The Board will definitely give him a bye and I guess he was just lucky that the press didn't happen to be there.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Irishdave- if you knew my last name you would know I am Irish and Catholic, also!

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2013

Ugh, Missy! If you have a good working relationship with him, you might want to mention that he should watch "pulling a Gordon Gee" (what a mess), even if it was meant to be funny. Leave your own personal discomfort aside, and point it more toward potentially explosive PR. If you don't have that kind of ability to speak frankly with him, perhaps a word to someone who does might at least get the weight off you.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

Ted~I'm sorry that you cheer for the A's. :)

25. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

That's sweet of you... and it's good you're getting used to feeling :sorry:. That will come in handy in a few weeks. :up:

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

:) We shall see!

27. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

Hehe...hey, I'm just happy that my boys have made it this far! They're not the Yankees...but I always have had a soft spot for underdogs. :)

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2013

Thank God they are not The Yankees

29. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

Now don't be dissing the Yankees, Dave. They're the best team money can buy.

*ducks*

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2013

Being a Mets fan from their inception we had to put up with Yankee$$$$