Supreme Court poised to wipe out teacher unions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 1, 2015

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2015

While I don't agree with unions on everything, I do think that teachers unions are usually helpful. They are needed in a country where teachers are often not respected, and in many places overworked.

While I am not a part of a union now (as I am in a private school), I use to be. I was pleased that not only was our union helpful to teachers, many teachers worked hard to improve the leadership of the teacher's union to make it better in the interest of teachers and students. When I see what happened so quickly in Wisconsin to hurt teachers unions, then I can understand that it probably can happen anywhere.

I know that when public school teachers get good raises that unions fight for, it helps all teachers. Our private school gave out larger raises to help be competitive with the public schools.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2015

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2015

I just read an article on this the other day. It made it sound like the outcome would stop unions from automatically deducting dues from every employee, not really get rid of unions. Is this correct? If so, it may not be as bad as it sounds. In my state union participation is voluntary and all three districts I've worked in have still had over 95% participation. The thing that I don't like about it is that the union is still negotiating contracts for everyone while some people can choose not to pay their dues (but of course they can't go to the union for individual help if they need it), but in the grand scheme of education issues I think there are bigger ones than this.

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 2, 2015

In my state, we used to be able to have the school deduct our dues from our checks. Starting this next school year, the dues are deducted from our bank account. I can't remember why as to whether it was something in our state legislature or this possible ruling or whatever. It really doesn't matter to me as we still have our union.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 2, 2015

In Oklahoma the law says that the "organization" that negotiates the teacher contract can not force the school to have their dues deducted from their checks by the school. But because the union does not negotiate, the local association does, this law can be argued. We don't negotiate at my school, so we are requesting they continue removing our dues from our checks locally.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2015

I've never understood being forced to join a union and pay dues in order to work a job. It is irrelevant whether I believe a union is beneficial to the employees or not. A quality union should be able to maintain a strong membership if it is providing a good service and representing the members it is supposed to be representing.

The reality is even in right to work states unions are in certain organizations. Membership stays strong enough if it is actually representing its members well. If that was not the case, they wouldn't be able to stay in states or organizations because they wouldn't be making enough money. Even in right to work states, unions in certain occupations are strong even though the represent employees who do not join. However, coersive tactics by union members can be shady against those who do not join.

This isn't the end of the world as long as teachers do believe that unions are beneficial to them and the protections they offer are worth the dues they pay. It will be in those states/districts/schools where teachers believe the unions are not representing their best interest in which unions will shrivel. If that is the case, it is because of the actions of the unions moreso than the choice to join or not.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2015

My guess is that 80% of teachers will continue to pay union dues voluntarily or be shamed into doing so.

And I think it might only apply to the portion of dues that go to political lobbying.