Support for LGBTQ students

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by orangetea, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 20, 2014

As far as I can tell, our school does nothing in particular to promote support for LGBTQ students. We don't have a GSA, and as far as I know, none of our staff is out at school. I find it strange since we are in a very liberal part of the country, but being in a rural area, many students and their families present conservative values.

In my classroom, I have a poster from the Teaching Tolerance magazine which mentions supporting diversity including for students of all sexual orientations. I also do not accept use of the word "gay" as a put-down, nor the use of any word for any person as a derogatory term. I have had to explain why this is important not just for this use of "gay" but also the n-word, which students defend since they hear it all the time in song lyrics.

Apparently students have been getting around this by using the Spanish equivalents of these words...I understand enough Spanish to catch some, but not all. I obviously haven't been as successful as I would like in fostering a positive classroom climate on this issue...I also understand that I am dealing with cultural differences here which makes the challenge even greater. I still hope and try to model a different outlook in my classroom.

2. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 20, 2014

I can't address this without being labeled a homophobe or hatemonger, so I'll refrain. But my point is that it's ridiculous to think that we can stop bullying by having Gay Support Groups, Holey Jean Committees, Nose Picker Associations, or whatever. We have to teach kids to be kind to EVERYONE. Period.

3. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 20, 2014

That IS the point. No child is safe if ANY child isn't safe. We can do better.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 20, 2014

Thanks! Interesting read.

From the article: "It's not just about these kids having issues at schools that lead to them getting in trouble and being punished, it's also about the environment these schools are creating, and the ability of all students to feel included and welcome," said Sarah Belton, an attorney and fellow of the nonprofit Equal Justice Works.

Exactly. So why further segregate them into "groups" that need "supported?" Then they become the kids in "that" group or club. Why not just spend time, money, and energy teaching kids to be kind to EVERYONE?

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 20, 2014

Only if we allow it to.

Also, many MORE Christian churches DON'T promote violence against gay people. I am a member of one them. It just so happens that the BAD apples get the most press coverage.

6. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 20, 2014

Being in a liberal area, you likely wouldn't have too much need for a GSA, because they aren't as much target for ridicule. I find throughout the country the amount of Atheists organizations are greater in more conservative areas.

The fact that many rural areas consist of more conservatives is evidence that people are more likely to be conservative the more sheltered and simply minded that they are.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 20, 2014

I... um... I think you should rethink some of the things you're saying here. If I were homosexual and read this part of your post, I'd definitely be offended, even ignoring the part earlier where you acknowledged the fact that you have a problem with homosexuals.

And the reason why LGBTQ folks need things like "Gay Support Groups" are the same reason why the NAACP was needed. There's also the simple fact that gay students are at far greater risk of being bullied by other students (and teachers and administrators) than the normal student. They are a comparatively small chunk of the population, but face an outrageously large portion of bullying.

Bullying in general is bad and needs to be stopped, but in general, bullying tends to be relatively random... except when applied to homosexuals, where it suddenly becomes rampant and systematic.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 20, 2014

I have the right to hate homosexuals and to try to have laws passed to oppress them. And homosexuals have the right to defend themselves from me and to try to not be oppressed.

Also, he is homosexual, so I'm guessing your "People have the right to hate and oppress you if they want to" angle won't be overly successful, even if you are legally correct.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 20, 2014

Kellzy, I totally feel ya. I disagree with your beliefs, but I 100% agree with your statement on this board. It seems that those who scream the loudest for acceptance are the least accepting themselves.

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 20, 2014

That post has been called out for the way he/she has spoken to people multiple times. He/she is not representative of the other liberals on this board, from what I have seen. If you missed his/her latest thread, it was amazingly anti-Christian in general and lumped people in very tidy little boxes. So, I wouldn't even bother getting too angry at him/her. It makes little to no impact and you'll find he/she gets very little support.

I'm actually very firmly on the opposite side of anyone who does not support homosexuality as nature-based and perfectly fine, but I don't think many people on here would say they believe conservative=the devil incarnate. :p

11. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 20, 2014

Sorry, but I'm not going to give someone a mature loving response after they imply gay people are condemned or give their typical "I respect them, but don't agree with them" cop out of the issue. I'm sick of people treating gay people like drug addicts that need rehab, and I'm sick of these stupid conversion therapy programs that don't work that are only for the purpose of satisfying religious beliefs.

Many gay people are committing suicide, many are being violently attacked, and bullied, and they don't seem to even be listening to that.

Also, the Salvation Army has stated they believe gays deserve the death penalty.

Religion is made up fairy tales, and a lot of what the Bible says you would never do anyway, but yet you say "well, we can't take everything literally," or some other excuse. Basically, what you believe is if the bible forbids something that you agree with, then it is correct, if it forbids something you see as silly such as planting different crops side by side, it was just cultural context or mis-translated. Cherry pickers are pretty much all these anti-gay folks are.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 20, 2014

I have plenty of issues with how this particular user comes across, but I'll never blame somebody for responding in an immature way when being told they deserve to go to hell. Not everybody has it in them to be an MLK type.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.