supply orders for next year

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Feb 15, 2009.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

What things are on your 'MUST HAVE' lists when you do your supply orders?

It's time in my district to order supplies for next year. I have next week off so I'm going to work on this. Fortunately we order online for 'basic supplies' so I can see what I ordered last year and update the numbers, order new items. I'm definitely ordering a new pencil sharpener, a timer (I'm tired of being a clock watcher for Mad Minutes), replace some math manips (Judy clocks, Base 10 blocks)...I'm unsure about how much construction and writing paper I want to order as I still have quite a lot of both at school so I'll wait on those 2 items so I can check after break.
    I have $800 to spend (same as last year so it's nice to see that hasn't been cut- yet!) and my basic supply order only came to about $350 last year so I'm thinking I'll still have plenty left over to order some new books and things from other catalogs.

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2009

We have far less money than ever before...so we're very limited.

I ordered chart tablet paper, printer ink, a case of paper, white out tape, 12 X 18 white construction paper, and a couple packs of dry erase markers. That's it.

Seriously, no money. It's a good thing I've been stocking up a bit through the years.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2009

Should be- I was kind of surpried but thankful that our supply budget remained the same as last year...I read of a lot of teachers here on the forums who are limited with ink and printer paper...any chance parents would donate?

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2009

Yes...I've got paper, dry erase markers, and glue sticks donated by parents. I bought some crayons on sale a month ago--they were in the dollar bin at Office Depot. I'll be fine.

I just find it amazing that the school system can pour millions into a new elementary school and middle school but can't cough up more than $100 dollars for supplies for next year. The new schools have lap tops for every student from 4th through 8th and smart boards for in every classroom. My school is less than a mile away from these two new ones, and we look like dirt-poor distance kin.

Oh, well. Here I am complaining when I swore I wouldn't do it. It doesn't matter. It's the quality of education the kids will get, and we'll have a solid core of dedicated, talented, and experienced teachers at this school. They have to staff the new school, so all our new teachers have to leave. The new elementary will be a new school with all the bells and whistles, staffed with mostly first year teachers with a few transfer requests thrown in. What a mess.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2009

EEEK- I'm surprised the parents of the kids in your school aren't complaining that their kids aren't getting equal treatment!

7. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Feb 17, 2009

For us we get about 500 to share (between 4 teachers.) It doesn't include basic supplies (pens/ pencils/ white out/ markers/ glue/ etc.) which is nice. I did our order last year and I ordered chart paper (with the sticky side on it so you can hang it anywhere), pencil sharpeners, new three hole punches, recess equipment, staplers, tape dispensers, and I don't know what else. We realllllllllly need more math manipulatives, but we are only allowed to order from certain catalogs (which dont have those items in it.) Subject things are supposed to come from a different fund, but that is money we probably won't get this year.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2009

Wow- $500 for 4 teachers doesn't go too far but it sounds like you stretched it!! Hope you get the $ you need for math manips..