Supply Money

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bridiecakes, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Bridiecakes

Bridiecakes Companion

Apr 5, 2009

How much money do you get for supplies each year. I am just curious.

Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2009

Our district has given us $200 debit cards every year for the past three years. Those were meant to be used to supplies and classroom materials like DVDs, games, posters, etc.

Because of budget issues, they won't be giving us those debit cards next year.

The supplies we get for own own (teacher) use are provided by the school. If I need a stapler or pens or markers or folders or whatever, I just ask the school banker for the stuff. The school does not provide supplies which will be primarily used by students--students have to supply their own lined paper, pencils, binders, etc.

I have purchased class sets of scissors, markers, colored pencils, crayons, and other stuff like that using my own money. I buy almost all of it at those penny sales at the big office supply stores. I betcha I haven't spent more than $30 on all those sorts of supplies over the past three years.

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

The last few years we have gotten a $100 gift card from the governor (everyone calls it our "Sonny Money") haven't heard if it's been axed due to budget issues yet, but probably so. We are given a certain amount for our grade also tbuy "office supplies" but I wasn't in charge of that this year so I don't know for sure how much the "beginning of the year" amount was. I do know we had over $900 to spend for April and May. I also know we were given $$$ for Title 1 materials to divide among the grade level. It was a good amount. I ordered some really cool things and then found out I was going to the new school so I won't get to use them. Oh well, I will have an ActivBoard instead :)

5. cluv2teach

cluv2teach Rookie

Apr 5, 2009

1st year teachers get $500
    Other teachers get $200

at least that is how it was a couple of months ago..it may have changed by now.

6. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

We get $50 but the school provides paper, some pencils, construction paper, rubber bands, paper clips, dry erase markers, chalk, pens, etc. (No folders, binders, notebooks...)

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 5, 2009

We get about $5 a student from the school to buy copy paper, pencils, and all the stuff we need for a classroom. Our legislature also gives us $265 to buy things for our classroom too.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2009

We get about $270 to spend per teacher. But money for a toner cartidge comes off automatically. Scantrons also need to come out of this money. I don't use them, but other teachers on my team do and our money is given out per team. Scantron sheets are expensive, so I don't know if they will want to spend their money in that this year.

9. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Apr 5, 2009

We got $500 last year(for this year). Then, at the end of the year we were told we could make a wish list. I got another $300 for 1 item.

Now we get $200- no wish list.

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Apr 5, 2009

At our school, each teacher makes a list of what they need, and when administration totals the list, then they see if there is enough in the "fund" - I suppose. If there is enough for what we all want, we get everything. If not, then we all have to cut back. My typical order is around 800.

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

$500 from the state lottery
    Intermediate teachers get an additional $170 from the district, primary get $150.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 5, 2009

We purchase the construction paper, paint, craft supplies, and some teacher supplies (chart paper, chart markers, sharpies, pens) together as a grade level. After inventory and the above items have been ordered, we split the rest of the money between the teachers. It is usually $150-200 each. Our grant foundation for the district is really awesome about giving out lots of money too :) This year we had a private donation to kindergarten that ended up giving us each an extra $100 which was awesome!

13. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

none:(

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Apr 5, 2009

WOW! You guys sound loaded! We just got $75 to spend by the end of the week for supplies for next year - paper, pencils, crayons, etc. All this must be spent at our county warehouse which has really good deals...box of crayons for .30 etc. Boils down to $3 a kid for me. We aren't allowed to ask children to bring any supplies...we are suppose to provide everything. So I have to really stretch it. You know how many boxes of crayons a kindergarten class goes through in a year?! lol Anyways, in November we'll get $200 to spend on whatever we choose. Usually my school votes to give $50 towards a new copier fund...:( Leaving us with only $150! Forget buying ink for a printer - I bought that myself this year...$60! I think ink should be provided!

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 5, 2009

Last year we got 250. This year they're talking somewhere around 70.

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

Apr 5, 2009

Last year we got $150 from the school budget, but that's frozen for now, so PTA is giving every teacher $150 to spend on next year's supplies. We have been getting "Sonny Money" every summer ($100), but I'm guessing we won't see that this year.