Supply lists / Pandemic

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, May 30, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 30, 2020

We’ve been asked to put together our grade level supply lists for next year, and I’m wondering: how has the pandemic affected the supply lists your school will be giving to families for school supply shopping? CDC recommends no shared supplies but some of those recommendations aren’t super easy to follow for things like Kleenex. We also normally share things like glue sticks, pencils, and scissors. And, I’m curious about whether items such as hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes will be available. Not looking to create another debate over the “why” here, but is your school changing what it’s requesting?

I’ll also add, we have a large supply list normally and generally get everything requested.

And, we have no idea what our school year will look like next year. No plan has been put out or even hinted at.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 30, 2020

Nobody has even asked us about lists. Usually we try to put together lists before school ends to get them on the school webpage and social media.

Our lists are usually small. Basically paper, pencils, folder or binder. We don’t use other items much in my class, so we always use class sets of things like colored pencils and crayons and scissors.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 30, 2020

Does your school usually provide those class supplies?

Our list has way more than I need actually. I’d create a much smaller list if it was just me. But it’s a grade level decision. Some people insist they need things like three boxes of Kleenex brought in by each student. My thought is - how the heck are you going through that much?! I go through about one a week in my room, maybe. But for better or worse, we err on the side of, if in doubt, add it.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 31, 2020

Supply lists were due about a month before school ended. As far as I know, teachers didn't change them/set them up as if we'd be back "like normal." Our governor directed a lot of CARES money to schools. While that's great, it can't be used to back fill decimated budgets. It can only be used on COVID related expenses. I know they've already purchased thermometers, cleaning supplies, and masks. I would guess that if the rule becomes no sharing of any supply whatsoever, some of that money could be used to purchase the extra supplies because that's a COVID related expense.

MissCeliaB likes this.
  6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 31, 2020

I teach at a high school, so each teachers sets their own list. My list is very small: something to write with and something to write on. My speech students need to bring in a pack of notecards. That's it.

I'm lucky to teach in a school that supplies Kleenex, paper, pencils, etc. Pretty much anything we need is right there in the supply room. (So if not enough of my speech kids bring note cards for the year, I can get some from the supply room.) In past years, we have always gotten $200 to fund our classrooms. It must be spent on instructional materials, so I usually get things like colored paper, sticky notes, etc. It can't be used on decorative items or food (unless you teach FACS) is really the only rule.

I don't know how other teachers may change their supply lists, but mine will basically stay the same. Most of the projects we used markers, glue, etc. for were group projects that we wouldn't be able to do anyway, and I'm looking into free software or Google addons to do all of those things digitally (timelines, posters, etc.)

7. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

May 31, 2020

We kept ours pretty much the same as in previous years but I don't know if they'll all be able to find hand sanitizer and wipes or not. Hopefully the school will provide some for us.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 31, 2020

We are not putting out a school supply list this year. Instead, the district will purchase all supplies directly - every last item. Our administrators have decided that, with all of the economic hardship going on, this isn't the time to ask families to purchase the usual supplies. We are doing away with community supplies, and my understanding is that every student will now have their own materials to keep at their desks, even personal kleenex and hand sanitizer.

otterpop likes this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 31, 2020

If they start school before this is over, it is really sad. We will be teaching young kids not to share, stay distant from others, and creating a bunch of germaphobes. Our school supplies all things, but I had a kid last year who went through a box of Kleenex a day for probably a month. Then tapered off. She truly had the sniffles, but was ODD, and always used a ton at once hoping for a reaction. I let her keep a box on her desk always because if I didn't, she'd spend the entire day running back and forth to the Kleenex box. That is how we went through the tissues last yr. Her parents started buying them too when we ran out.

otterpop likes this.
  10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 31, 2020

Yes, the school purchased my scissors, crayons, and colored pencils.

a2z likes this.
  11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 31, 2020

Wow. That’s amazing!

My district is facing big budget cuts, so we’re being told the school likely won’t be able to even buy the normal things they get us, which isn’t much to start with.