Supply List Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Aug 8, 2013.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

I was out doing some shopping today and shared the Back to School aisles with several moms and their children doing some back to school shopping, with supply lists in hand. While I certainly understand the requests for everyday supplies (although we aren't allowed to ask the students for anything) but a few of the items on the requested list that one mom was reading off had me perplexed:

- Model Magic--2 pound bucket in white (girls) or assorted (boys)
    - 50 sheets of assorted construction paper
    - 8 boxes of tissue (minimum 100 count)
    - 4-count Expo markers--3 packages

Along with the pencils, papers, composition books, binders, etc., this list would have come to well over $50/student (and she was buying for 2). Is this typical? No judgement, just curiosity.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 8, 2013

Some lists are even bigger than that.

Keep in mind that this was a requested list. I would see that as more of a wish list and never feel obligated to buy everything on it.

But even though, $50 is a SMALL price to pay for someone giving my children a year's worth of education. I'd happily pay it. In fact, we spent a lot of money my daughter's first year of school. We had planned on sending her to a private school but switched when she was accepted to our public school of choice. We figured $100 here and there to buy things off of a wish list was nothing compared to the tuition we were planning to pay.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

8 boxes of Kleenex seems excessive...I used to ask for three per student but now my district supplies.

The Model Magic is an unusual request...probably for a project but a two pound tub is about $20 :eek: there are certainly cheaper ways to make similar molding material...paper mâché, glue and white bread, salt dough...:dizzy:

Not sure of the demographics of the families who were asked to supply these things, but as someone working in a high SES district, I find 8 boxes of Kleenex and a $20 tub of clay excessive...yes, my students families can for the most part afford it,but it seems unnecessary and there are always families who need to scrimp and save for just the basics,even in wealthy districts. We should all be mindful of that.:2cents:

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 8, 2013

I ask for Expo markers because my students all have personal white boards at their desk. I also ask for each student to bring in 1 box of Kleenex. I don't ask for model magic or construction paper.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 8, 2013

Seems a bit excessive to me.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 8, 2013

I don't even know where a teacher would have room to store 8 boxes of tissues times probably at least 20 students?????

I've never seen modeling clay on a supply list.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 8, 2013

i really dont think this was a per student request. no teacher will require 12 expo markers per student

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

This list seems totally excessive and overly expensive. Many families go without other things at back-to-school time so that they can purchase basic supplies for their kids. To me, modeling clay and a thousand boxes of Kleenex (okay, 8) is not basic. If I were a parent, I wouldn't purchase some of those things on that list.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

The mother was reading the list out loud in the aisle where I was browsing. All items (including pencils, etc.) were on the same list that started with: On the first day, each student should bring... Of course, I couldn't see the list, but from the way it was read, it didn't sound like a wishlist.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 8, 2013

We aren't allowed to ask for supplies either, so I don't have any experience with supply lists.

But EIGHT boxes of Kleenex?? First of all, I can't believe there are schools that don't provide Kleenex. Yes, our school has the cheapest kind imaginable, but at least it's provided!

That model magic stuff is EXPENSIVE. Modeling clay would actually be a lot cheaper. I think that's ridiculous. Parents shouldn't be expected to provide that.

The construction paper doesn't seem too crazy if the school doesn't supply it - mine does. 50 sheets wouldn't be too expensive.

12 Expo markers per kid is pretty nuts. That's expensive too! Do they really go through TWELVE per kid a year? I felt like I was always running out last year, but I know I did not have to replace 12 whole sets...

12. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

EIGHT boxes? Holy cow. I ask for 2 and don't even get that from some parents.

Several supply lists in my county did ask for 8-12 expo markers. If they were used frequently in class, I can see a kid going through that many in a year. However, that is expensive! I don't ask for these.

I could see asking for construction paper if it was one of the small packs. You can buy that at the dollar store here.

13. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 8, 2013

That seems really excessive. I felt guilty just adding a pack of copy paper to mine this year, but our supplies budget has been cut like crazy and we will likely run out in the 2nd semester. Everything else on my list can be bought under a dollar with the back to school sales.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 8, 2013

When we are writing ours out, we price it out so it doesn't cost more than $25 with regular prices. Our list this year will cost around $15 if they get brand names with sale prices.

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 8, 2013

It seems excessive, particularly the model magic.

Maybe they have students bring in a lot of one item to stock up for several years. Last year, all the students may have bought an excessive amount of ziploc baggies or whatnot. It could be possible that each grade level brings a lot of one item. Otherwise, I can't imagine the logic behind the list.

I feel bad for the kiddos for having to lug all of that to school.

I wouldn't mind spending $50 for my child's education, but I would be annoyed if I was taken advantage of with a list like that.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2013

That is... completely ridiculous. I would have a serious issue with that list if I were a parent.

I do require dry erase markers, because we have the kind of desks you can write on. Daily practices are easier when you can just walk around and check real quick rather than bothering with paper collection. But I sure as heck don't require a specific brand or three freaking packages.

17. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 8, 2013

We try to keep our lists as reasonable as possible. We ask for 2 or 3 boxes of kleenex. All the classes share with the specials teachers as well. We ask for 4 Expos. Each year we look at our supplies and cross off anything we have too much of, so we don't ask for the same things every year. Last year we asked for ziplocks and index cards. This year it is manilla and colored construction paper. Our supply list comes out to about $25-$30. Most our kids bring supplies, though many go to the huge Back to School Bash held by local church's where they get a free hair cut and school supplies.

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

Thanks for this because I had NO IDEA what Magic Model was.

My district has suggested lists on their webpage, but I have never seen any parent buy all of (or most of) that stuff. I work in a low income district where we are told not to ask parents for anything outside the basics for their child - do not ask for things for the classroom like tissues.

At the start of the year, I ask for the bare basics: a one subject notebook or a section in a larger notebook/binder, a folder for my class, black or blue pens and highlighters. I hate pencils so I don't ask for them but I don't care if that's all they have/bring in. My school also demands that our HS buy locks for their lockers.

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 8, 2013

8 boxes of tissues! :lol: Wow! I thought I had guts in asking for 3 boxes/student. :lol: That is crazy! Expo markers aren't cheap, but I can see a child needing them--they just don't last.

20. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2013

Is it possible these people were just buying for more than one kid and adding up what they would need in all?

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

The bucket of modeling clay alone sort of nixes that option.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

I really wonder why parents don't have to supply toilet paper... If schools won't supply tissues then why do they supply toilet paper?

That said, I guess I should go on the record as saying I believe parents should be willing to provide some basics for their children's education. Fifty or even a hundred dolllars is reasonable. Sure, if you have four children that could be $400 in addition to clothing and such...but bringing children into this world is expensive. I know that's not a popular perspective, but it's how I feel.

As to what qualifies as excessive, well, I do believe the Model Magic's use should be explained. Is it for centers? Is it for a major project? Maybe that would be a good Donors Choose project.

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 8, 2013

I wouldn't have the guts to do it, but I could have certainly used 8 boxes of tissues per kid and 12 expo markers per kid last year! I believe our list said two boxes of tissues and 4 expo markers. I had kids use individual white boards in math every day, and sometimes in other subjects to. I spent a ridiculous amount of my own money on both expo markers and tissues as ours kept running out. At one point we got some sort of donation from walmart and we each got 50 bucks. I literally went and spent my entire 50 bucks on tissues, and this was sometime in late winter. By the end of the year I had STILL run out and my para was begging other teachers she worked with for a box for our class. The other thing I had to keep buying was pencils, and I believe we'd asked for 48 per kid. Of course, most didn't bring that, so that was part of our problem.

24. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 8, 2013

I wouldn't feel bad about the markers. We used Expo markers every day in Language Arts and Math. I went through a 20 pack fairly regularly. That I bought.

Twelve markers is 1 marker every 3 weeks or so. Sounds about right.

The rest is too much. :whistle:

25. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 9, 2013

I agree.

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2013

my friend's daughter was asked to bring like 200 #2 pencils...???? For 1 child.

27. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2013

Maybe only one child needed the modeling clay- I can't see asking for modeling clay in a grade higher than 1st, but who knows.

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2013

My school does ask for quite a bit of supplies, but what you are saying certainly is asking for too much. We ask for two tissue boxes per student, 3 expo markers, etc.

29. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 10, 2013

what are you going to do with 20 buckets of modeling clay? That must be some project! Maybe they are going to make sculptures of landmarks?

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2013

White Model Magic for girls, assorted colors for boys? Really?

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

I would imagine that's just so that the teacher receives a more or less equal number of both types of colors. I've seen teachers do the boy/girl thing with Kleenex (girls) and hand sanitizer (boys), before.

32. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 10, 2013

Honestly, as a parent I wouldn't buy the 8 boxes of tissues or model magic. The Expos, perhaps, but I'd keep all but 4 at home and tell my child to replenish from home as needed. Last year we were asked to send in 3 jumbo tubs of sanitary wipes. I sent in 2 regular size tubs that were on sale. Can I afford to pay for the excessive stuff? Sure. But I think it's ridiculous to ask for it so I don't buy it. And to me, 3 jumbo tubs of sanitary wipes was excessive so I didn't buy it. Two was reasonable, so that's what I sent in.

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 10, 2013

We aren't allowed to ask for anything other than basic supplies for individual student use, and we can't hold it against the child if they don't bring them.

One year I kept track of the number of boxes of tissues because my MIL bought 45 boxes (280 count) of them for me at an auction. I started the year with a 5-box package that I bought at Walmart. We were OUT of tissues before spring break.

For the most part, if the school doesn't provide it or won't buy it if requested, we do without it.

34. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2013

We put Kleenex on our supply list, but other items like Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, etc. go onto a wishlist. I also ask for things like paper plates, plastic utensils, etc. It's just easier to do it at the beginning of the year, rather than trying to get a parent to send them in every time we need them (holiday parties, birthday treats, special activities, etc.).