Supply List Networking

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SistaT, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SistaT

SistaT Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and thought I'd post to see if anyone had any pointers for someone in my situation. I graduated from a US teacher's college with a Master's in Education in 2004. I got a job right away at a private school that specialized in Special Ed. I've had great experience but due to a recent change in administration, I've discovered my opportunities for professional growth are really limited now. I've decided to resume my search for a position in the public system (GTA area - Toronto, Peel, Halton, etc.) but have no local contacts since I didn't do my practicum in this region. What's worse, my practicum supervisors were all approaching retirement so they aren't even in contact with the system anymore!

I know that the process to get on the supply list can be very bureaucratic and wondered if anyone had any success getting on the supply list recently following the old-fashioned, pound the pavement and meet the principal method. I've been warned that this process could now alienate potential employers.

Any suggestions?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

Welcome! I'm just north of Toronto, in York Region. I'm not sure about the process of getting on the supply list in the boards you mentioned--do you need a principal's recommendation? I'm going to be at a workshop with teachers from several boards next week--I'll see if anyone has any current information.

Just a word of warning--for our American friends, "supply list" refers to the list of school supplies students are asked to provide. In the U.S. "supplies" are "subs".

4. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

I'd pound the pavement if I were you or send out emails or snail mail. It's sooo hard when you don't have contacts. I went from growing up next door the the super of my district to a state where I knew NO ONE. So good luck!

5. SistaT

SistaT Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm Ontario-based, so you'd think I'd have the local occasional-teacher lingo in my head (ha ha). Anyway, Mrs. C., thanks for the insight -- I've actually applied to York Region as well for Spec Ed. and regular for Elementary and High School (I'm qualified for both). What are prospects like in York? Do you see a lot of new faces coming through?

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

Things are pretty slim in York Region, although there are some postings. It is pretty well mandatory, even to get a long-term position, to have additional qualifications like ELL or Special Ed--principals are expecting candidates to have at at least one of these and several candidates who interviewed at my school had between 5-10 AQ courses. If you have French qualifications, you can almost write your own ticket. I'll let you know via PM if I see anything specific--are you open to all of York Region?

7. SistaT

SistaT Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Yes - West end is better but I'm able to commute throughout the region. I have 2 AQs (includes Spec Ed) with a third in progress right now... hopefully that will help. Wish I had French... that'll be a work in progress for a while! Thanks for the insight!