Supply Caddy-will this work?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lobo, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jun 24, 2013

I'm moving to kindergarten next year and have been desperately searching for a supply caddy. The traditional handle caddies don't seem to hold enough supplies, get disorganized, or aren't deep enough to hold pencils or markers. I found the attached caddy at really good stuff. I would have to invest about $100 to get a class set. I wanted to ask for opinions before I invested so much money. What do you guys think? Do you have something that you think would work better?

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/supply-station/p/158453/

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2013

If you really want the students' supplies to be separate then this looks pretty great. If not, it might be cheaper for you to get caddies if you're going to do community supplies.

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/3-compartment-caddies-with-handles/p/129187/

I have pencil holders on the tables all the time. But I have these caddies for colored pencils, crayons and markers and it works perfect. Obviously scissors, glue sticks, etc. would fit as well if you wanted instead of all the art supplies. It says they're not deep enough but I've never had a problem.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

I use the ones that iteachbx mentioned - the three compartment caddies. I have found them (and a smaller version of the same thing) in the $1 section at Target many times. If you can do without them having individual supplies, it will be MUCH cheaper to buy the three compartment caddies. If you're really set on having their supplies separated, then I don't think $100 is too much to invest. They'll probably last you at least a few years.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2013

I have some like iteachbx showed, and I also have simple black (matches my theme) baskets that I got at Walmart (plastic, low - don't block views). I keep all scissors, glue, & pencils at the teacher table - I pass out the scissors & glue as needed (usually in group situations) and retrieve them afterwards. I sharpen all pencils, and have a "sharp" and "dull" pencil cup so that kids can swap out as needed - they get 2 pencils as they enter each morning.

6. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jun 24, 2013

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 24, 2013

I really like these!

The problem I see with the snap caddy in the original post is if you have more than 4 kids at a table, like if you have to make a group of 5. I guess you could just give them an "un snapped' portion...

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 24, 2013

9. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jun 24, 2013

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2013

Target's Dollar Section has historically had them available (for $2.50) for the past few years. It's regional, but here in the Northeast they usually come out after the 4th of July.

Also, be on the lookout with all of the "Off to College" displays. The shower caddies are a nice option.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2013

Little things like erasers are hard to get out, you have to take everything out to get your hand in there or dump it out. The kids like to poke their pencils into the mesh like design to make them stand up straight thus breaking the bottom or making the holes bigger.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 27, 2013

Check with Target if you'd like to get these- last year I was able to purchase one of them for $2 or $3 so it would be a lot cheaper that way!

I do love the caddies the OP'er suggested but that would be way too expensive!! :eek:

Alternatives:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/classroom-storage-caddies-a2-62_18-12-1.fltr?Ntt=storage

http://www.orientaltrading.com/classroom-storage-caddies-a2-62_23-12-1.fltr?Ntt=storage

13. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jun 27, 2013

I ended up getting a set of 6 on eBay for $20 like most of you had posted. I may end up with 5 to 6 groups so it was important to me to have that many different colors.