Supply boxes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrs.groves, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Mar 4, 2008

I teach 1st grade and each of my students have their own school box. I have desks in my room so I feel like there boxes are constantly falling off their desk and spilling. I don't let them put supplies in their desk because they kept them too junky.

I saw that one teacher uses plastic drawers, 1 per child and they put them up when they aren't using them. I like that idea but I am worried about the space since there isn't much room on their desk.

Does anyone have any ideas??

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 4, 2008

How about a bucket for each table, and all the supply boxes go in that, and then to a shelf? When you need the boxes, one child can go get the bucket, and hand them out to everyone at that table.

4. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Mar 4, 2008

Yeah, I really like that idea but I have my desks in a U shape to help with talking. Sorry I forgot to post that the first time.

Thanks for your help!

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 4, 2008

It is a constant problem! This year, I have given several of the more messy students (that always spill their supply boxes several times a day!!) a box from Sam's water bottles. The box that holds the 12 pack from Wal Mart is just 1/2 the size of the inside of the kids' desks. They have to keep all their supplies and loose things in that box. They pull it out, set it on the desk, get what they need, and it goes back in the desk. This has helped a lot, because the pencil boxes tend to stay out on the desks and then get bumped off! all day every day!

One year I used sturdy plastic cups attached to the desks with sticky tack. You could do this with cans also if there are no rough edges. This was moderately successful. The drawback was that they loved to play with sticky tack! But, in the cup were their pencils and crayons. And they didn't get bumped off.

I almost think it would be best to only let them have a couple of pencils in their desks, and keep boxes of crayons, scissors, boxes of markers, glue sticks, etc., in separate baskets on a table in the middle of the u-shape. Then pass out the supplies every time and collect them when done. They would probably freak if they didn't get a particular box of crayons though!

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 4, 2008

One of us should produce a specific product for first grade. A rectangular plastic box, about 5 inches high, the same width as the desk. It would be divided into sections: one for crayons, one for markers, one for scissors, one for pencils. They could be attached to the desks with Velcro. It could work!

7. charliecathywar

charliecathywar New Member

Mar 4, 2008

Community supplies

I've taught first grade for 30 years (wow, that makes me feel old!) and have always used "shared" supplies with my students. The first day of school they sort their pencils, crayons, markers, paints, tissues, erasers, scissors, etc. into big boxes I put up on the rug. Then I store them for the year, gradually re-supplying the class supply drawers (or cans) as needed. We have never run out of anything...in fact we have surplus supplies at the end of the year. No child is ever searching for "their" pencil or green marker or scissors because everybody shares! The supplies are out on the counter and available all day long. Everybody owns everything! I really like the way this fosters a community atmosphere and sharing concept.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 4, 2008

I do community supplies as well. But I think at this point in the year, that would be a disaster waiting to happen!

What if you did this... put the kids in "teams" of 3 or 4. Then buy some large gallon sized ziplock bags or the sturdy freezer bags in the standard size. Enough that the kids can each have a few. Have them put their colored pencils in one, markers, glue and scissors, etc. Get a regular old box and place it nearby but away from each "team" of desks.

When they need markers for instance, 1 team member from each group goes to get the supplies for everyone else. Then you only have 1/3 of your class getting up and they are in charge of their own supplies. You can even rotate so that every kid gets a turn to be their team leader on week. Just put the boxes on a table, counter or in a corner sort of behind the desks. Keep them in different areas so there is no crowding to gather things. Don't make the teams share supplies, though. Just say "team leaders, get all the crayon baggies for your team." They will come back with three baggies of crayons. Each baggy should be labeled with the child's name. The zipper baggies may be easier for them to open and close.

I do something similar with our shared supplies. The kids are at table groups, so one person at a table is in charge of getting the markers, scissors, glue or whatever else they need for a project. Let them keep one bag with pencils and erasers in their desk so they don't need to get up to get a pencil.

Ziplock bags are fairly cheap and solve a lot of problems in my classroom!

9. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Mar 10, 2008

i use the small CD or DVD crates and i duct tape them to the desks. they have holes in them, but if they have a baggie or something they can put their supplies in that (or even their supply box would fit nicely into that). so far, none have fallen off. you can get these crates at walmart in the organization bin aisle for 97 cents each. it's the best thing i've ever done!

you could also probably duct tape their own pencil boxes on their desks. just string the duct tape through the crack between the lid and the bottom. i'm not sure i'm explaining that good enough, but it'd work!

good luck
    LC

10. TwoMonkeys

TwoMonkeys Rookie

Mar 10, 2008

This year we had our 1st graders bring in zippered supply pouches instead of boxes and it has been so much better. If they fall out of the desks, they make less noise and they don't spill since they are zippered closed. We love it!!

11. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Mar 19, 2008

Just curious...do any of your kids freak when they have to put their school supplies in the common box to be shared?
    I am planning to do community supplies next year, and I am a bit concerned about having kids freak that they have to put the special pencils (or whatever) mom bought them in the community supplies.

12. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Mar 20, 2008

I do community supplies, and it has been SO MUCH less of a hassle. My kids don't generally complain... They know that if they brought in a special pencil, it goes into the supplies for the class, so it is an opportunity to share it with others. You could make a note and send it with supplies, that your supplies will be community supplies and shared with the class.

13. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Mar 20, 2008

Another option could be an over-chair organizer. They can be a bit spendy, but are worth it. I actually had 2 moms make mine for me from denim. They hang over the chair and have pockets for pencils, 24 ct crayon boxes and one big pouch to store their library books in.

14. forkids

forkids Cohort

Mar 21, 2008

When I did community supplies, I just told my kids that if they had something special they had to take it home and use it there. Alll supplies at school were community property and went in the common supply. I worked well. If they sneaked something in, I sent it back home. If they persisited in bringing it, I took it up. A parent had to come get it or it went in community supplies.
    I also asked for only plain yellow pencils, plain crayons, etc on the beginning of year supply list - this helped.

15. forkids

forkids Cohort

Mar 21, 2008

MINE WERE ALLOWED TWO PENCILS WHICH THEY GOT FROM THE SHARP PENCIL CAN AT ARRIVAL TIME. I DID NOT ALLOW PENCIL SHARPENING DURING THE SCHOOL DAY. IF BOTH BROKE, THEY GOT MORE FROM THE CAN. A HELPER SHARPENED ALL PENCILS AT DISMISSAL TIME.

16. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Mar 21, 2008

I really like that idea! In fact, I have a bunch of zippered pouches I bought one year to store alphabet letters in a center. How long do the pouches last? For a couple of years? Right now my kids have supply boxes where they keep their crayons, glue, and scissors. We share pencils. They keep markers in a baggy. We have tables so I have a basket in the middle where they store their boxes.

17. TwoMonkeys

TwoMonkeys Rookie

Mar 21, 2008

It has really worked out well for us. I think two of the children have had to replace bags because the zipper broke but all the others have been using their same bags from the beginning of the year. I think it just depends on how hard the kids are on them and how many things they try to stuff in the bag. We'll never ask for supply boxes again!

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 23, 2008

I do community supplies and it works beautifully. I send a note home at the beginning of the years stating that, and not to spend a lot on pretty pencils, just send wooden, sharpened ones. I keep a bucket w/used and sharpened pencils on my desk and kids just trade them out. All the other supplies are in baskets or buckets and are quickly dispersed when needed.

19. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Mar 23, 2008

Charge a levy

At the end of the school year, all children are give a 'Book List' for the grade they will be entering which specifies everything the student will need. All supplies have to be taken on the first day of school and are then stored at school by the teacher.

I teach Prep, (5 - 6 year olds) and drew up a 'Book List' for the children, however, to ensure good quality pencils, wind up crayons and wind up pencils are bought, I order all the supplies and the school charges the parents a levy. It is priced so that they cannot buy the items cheaper in the shops (we buy direct from educational suppliers so items are cheaper). I also write a welcome letter and encourage the parents to pay the levy as the items on the list have been chosen specifically to meet the needs of the children - pencil size, grip and colour quality. This year 43 out of 44 children have paid the levy.

I find community supplies ordered by me are the best, as it avoids children bringing really cheap pencils that break every time they are sharpened. Also, I don't think it is fair on a child whose parents have paid for quality pencils having to use the cheap nasty ones if they are then used communally.

When the children are sent to tables, the first child is sent to get the writing implements from the trolley. Some of the containers I have made (cans with sticky shelf contact on {Tupperware sell a can opener that breaks the vacuum seal on the can and does not leave a sharp edge}) or bought (cutlery drainers).

At the end of the year, what's left over is divided amongst the children.

I like the idea of using tack.

20. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Mar 23, 2008

Some of our stuff (markers, tissues, etc) are Shared, and they are labeled that on the beginning of the year letter. Their stuff I put in baskets on their tables, BUT since we don't use desks, I use a fabric pocket on the back of their chair. I am sure if you knew someone who could sew it would be easy, someone made mine for me (a previous K teacher). I LOVE Them, and they last a few years before getting yucky and holey. You can buy them but they are CRAZY expensive.

21. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Mar 23, 2008

What about the bags that attach to back of the chair? Do you know what I am talking about? I find that the supply boxes distract students. I use supply buckets with each color table, this way when we are not using them I place them on a shelf. The boxes are too bulky.