Supplies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Jul 8, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2014

My new school will be the first one where I am given a budget to order supplies instead of a supply closet. I have $150 to spend. What are must haves? And how much do I need?!

I know my classroom is coming with a LOT of glue sticks. I didn't check to see if they are dried out.

I am all set on pencils and filler paper. And Post-Its. From my personal collection ;)

Things like crayons, markers, colored pencils, staples, tape, etc... don't worry me. I know how much I will need and I always shop the sales.

I don't need any writing utensils for myself. I'm picky and have plenty.

I have a chalk board instead of a white board :)eek: :dizzy:) so no Expos are needed. I asked for individual white boards for my students and they are being ordered out of a different budget. Along with markers. So I will probably pick some up for cheap for replacements, but I'm not too stressed about that one. Oh, and I have plenty of chalk :tired:

I think construction paper is probably my biggest concern. I have no idea how much to order....

What else am I forgetting? I am typically supply conscious. I can really only remember going to the supply closet for construction paper, outside the random box of staples or paper clips.

I have double desks, so I hope that I have enough money left to buy privacy shields.

3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 8, 2014

Looks like you have thought of a lot!

Last time I taught 6th grade math graph paper was a big need.

One other thing I always like to have (but rarely do) is chart paper. Especially if it is the post-it kind!

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 8, 2014

Why not purchase white board contact paper that you can place over the chalk board? I couldn't imagine using chalk anymore!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

I have requested a white board, even if it is just shower board. She said she'll do her best. I begged for even just half! I do have a projector and document camera, but simple things like the date, an assignment, etc... I want a white board!
    I told her that I've never written on a chalk board and the sounds will not be very nice!!! :lol:
    The whole district still has chalkboards :dizzy: I know because they closed a school last year and I wondered if one could be moved. That is when I was told that everyone has a chalkboard!!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

Graph paper- good idea.

I have some chart paper, but not much. Another good idea :)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2014

Staples on my supply order:
    - construction paper
    - card stock--white and coloured
    - bristol board
    - file folders (I use the legal size to have students for art and when the students make small math posters)
    - duotang and pocket folders
    - 11 x 17 paper (I use a ton of this for math problem-solving activities)
    - highlighters
    - post-its (I can never have enough!)
    - grid paper
    - chart paper

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2014

For privacy (we call them offices in my building), we take two file folders, glue them together with about three inches of overlap (hard to describe!), and laminate them. They stand up and kids can work on "no sharing" work with them. I store them on a bookcase and get them out as needed.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 9, 2014

I agree with a lot of what was already said-chart paper, graph paper, highlighters, construction paper, file folders, folders.

What about dry erase markers for the student white boards?

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 9, 2014

Estimating how much construction paper you need is always challenging! I try to look through my standards and quickly list the types of projects I would like to do that would involve construction paper (and also count students--if you have over 50, you'd need two packs per project). Some companies offer a sampler pack that has 3 or 4 packs of various colors.

11. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 9, 2014

Also, what about a heavy duty pencil sharpener? That's at the top of my list this year.

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2014

I don't know what you teach in SS, but we do world geography so colored pencils are mandatory. They are rare to find cheap enough in the back to school sales.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 9, 2014

I ordered a package of all black construction paper and gel markers (that work on that kind of paper) this year, and the kids LOVED it. The black paper really makes foldables more attractive! I didn't even know you could order a pack of one color, but apparently you can!

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

I did that one year, but during my LTS, I had 'real' ones and they were so much better!

I had been checking my Dollar Tree for presentation/science fair boards and they haven't had any. Last night I had an epiphany and checked online. They have a case of 30. I am going to buy it and see if I can't get someone to cut them in half. Then I will have 60 for $30! So I will have replacements, I guess! Or maybe not cut them all....

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

Highlighters. Forgot those!
    I have a ton of cardstock. I used to work at Michaels! Plus I have a Cricut so I go through a ton at home as well.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

I have one and the teacher left one behind as well.

I was going to research about what to use for colored pencils since I've never allowed them in my electric pencil sharpener. With older kids, I much prefer colored pencils to crayons. I always had hand pencil sharpeners for that, but they'd drop them and make a mess.

17. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2014

I was going to research about what to use for colored pencils since I've never allowed them in my electric pencil sharpener. With older kids, I much prefer colored pencils to crayons. I always had hand pencil sharpeners for that, but they'd drop them and make a mess.[/QUOTE]

I've never had too much trouble using hand sharpeners with 6th graders. Yes, they sometimes drop them and make a mess, but I send them to the dustpan and brush and they do a decent job of clean up. In fact, I'd rather they use those than get up and travel. I won't let them use the electric or hand crank sharpeners for colored pencils.

18. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 9, 2014

I have a really great heavy duty $100 pencil sharpener. At first I didn't allow colored pencils to be sharpened. But honestly it doesn't mess with the sharpener. And it does a great job on them. So don't discount it.

19. Mrs. Rader

Mrs. Rader Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

:eek: I could not imagine having a chalk board!!! I even dislike touching the chalk... I don't even want to get started on the chalk dust. I would make sure to purchase one of the chalk handles. It's an end piece that you put a piece of chalk in, so you don't have to touch the chalk.

YES! That is a must! I purchased a cheap electric sharpener last year and quickly regretted it. It did not last very long :| ...

The Post-It chart paper is something I wanted all year last year, but did not have a budget to purchase it. I made anchor charts and such out of the butcher style paper that comes in the large rolls! :lol:

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 9, 2014

I'm glad you started this thread because I need to figure out my supply list as well.

OH MY WORD. I could not have a chalkboard. I HATE chalk and chalkboards. You know the creepy goose bump feeling you get when you hear the "fingernails on a chalkboard" noise? I get that just from touching a piece of chalk, and sometimes just from SEEING a piece of chalk. Have you thought of just purchasing shower board at Home Depot yourself? I saw a blog post not too long ago showing how a teacher did that...

Here it is: http://www.ladybugsteacherfiles.com/2011/06/showerboards-as-whiteboards.html

She attached it with velcro. She said the shower board was only about $12!

I can't even believe schools HAVE chalkboards anymore! Even when I was a kid in the 90s we had whiteboards!

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

She pretty much said that if she can't get me a real white board, she will ask the superintendent if we can at least attach shower board on the existing chalkboard. So if he says no, I don't think I can even do that. I was seriously contemplating just propping it on the chalk tray. But thanks for the link- if I am shot down, maybe I can send that link and try again! I do fear the damage when the velcro is pulled off. In one of my old classrooms, the whiteboard was mounted on top of the chalkboard and there was about 3 feet of chalkboard left. I turned it into a BB for my calendar. I used double sided duct tape to mount it and it peeled the finish off when I took it down. Whoops.

I can't remember when white boards began to appear. I remember my 5th grade classroom (1993-1994 school year) had a chalk board. I know my high school teachers had white boards. Middle school seems to be fuzzy....

22. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 9, 2014

Would they let you use the dry erase paint? When I was told what my original room was, it only had two chalkboards and was the only room still left with chalkboards. I asked about using whiteboard paint and the idea went over really well. My room ended up being moved and I ended up with a whiteboard for September.

23. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 9, 2014

copy paper

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

Another good idea! Thanks!

I, of course, am hoping for the approval to get a real one, but I am happy for alternative suggestions in my back pocket ;)