Supplies!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by collegestudent3, Sep 30, 2011.

1. collegestudent3

collegestudent3 New Member

Sep 30, 2011

Hey! I am a junior in college and a special education/elementary education double major! I was wondering if anybody had ANY ideas about what I can ask for in regards to teaching materials/supplies for Christmas. I know that teachers put in a lot of money for a great classroom and I kind of wanted to start early. Or, do you think it is best to wait until I graduate and get a job placement since I have NO idea what grade or where I will be working? I was just trying to get a head start and be pro-active. What can you NOT live without as a teacher?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 30, 2011

I would definitely wait. You don't know what you'll need yet as it depends entirely on your classroom layout, who you'll be teaching, and you don't want to store all that stuff in your home right now anyway.

Anyway, I'm a fan of giving Compo Books to my students, cheap pencils, and whatever else I might need like whiteboard markers.

4. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 30, 2011

Wait.
    When I ended student teaching two years ago, the class I was in showered me with supplies. Since there aren't jobs and I'm stuck subbing, they are taking up room in the closet---and I found recently that many of the markers had dried up.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2011

If I were in your position, I'd ask for giftcards to Target, WalMart, Barnes and Noble (for professional books!) and Amazon. I'd also ask for a variety of arts and crafts supplies: markers, crayons, colored pencils, glue, scissors, construction paper, popsicle sticks, glitter, that sort of thing. I'd also ask for some office supplies for me: nice pens, good quality binders, file folders, tabbed dividers. I might also ask for some random classroom decor: bulletin board borders, fabric for bulletin boards, months/days bulletin board signs.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 30, 2011

I'd just start a savings account and not buy any supplies yet unless you need them for a college class. Then you can buy exactly what you need for your position, and not have to store or discard what you do not.

As for presents from others, gift cards to office supply, discount stores, and teacher stores that do not expire would be a good bet.

Every classroom is different, and even though I've been teaching quite a while, I usually have to spend some money to get the room organized how I would like it when I move within a school, so having a fund for your first room would come in handy since no matter how much you buy ahead of time, there will still be some materials you didn't see the need for before that you need then.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2011

A great bag.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 30, 2011

good professional clothes, a great suit for interviewing, and GOOD shoes

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2011

I would ask for a suit.

You're in CT. In this part of the country, you interview in a suit. JCPenneys usually has some, and if you're anywhere near a Kaspar outlet they tend to have great deals as well.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2011

I think this is a great idea. I had completely overlooked all the stuff you'll need when you interview. You might also consider asking for a giftcard to an airline so that you can fly to interviews or, once you get a job offer, to your new city to find a place to live.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2011

I agree with the others- wait. Last year (my first year) before school started, I spent a lot of money on things that ended up being in my classroom anyway when I went to check it out. We have a supply budget, and anything bought for the classroom stays in that room, regardless of if the teacher who bought it leaves. I remember in college we always had the scholastic book fair come to our edu department. Most of my classmates would buy 5-6 books every time the book fair came, and I always thought that was silly. In college, you have no idea what type of job you're going to get- so how can you already be buying books for your classroom? We were also dual elem/sped- some of those people ended up getting jobs in middle school, high school, preschool, multiple disabilities, kindergarten, etc. and had no use for the types of books they bought. I've also gotten tons of books from places like goodwill and yard sales for cheap!

12. klillico

klillico New Member

Oct 8, 2011

I only graduated last year but there were things I have been collecting for years that I knew I could use regardless of the age group (bulletin board borders, posters, books (k-9)) even the books for elementary can be used in junior or senior high depending on a) how you intend to use them and b) if you have special needs... keep in mind that just because your first position is in one grade that doesn't mean the next one will be! I taught Grade 1 last year and Grade 5 until the last week of September when they decided I could be utilized in a Kindergarten at a different school within the division to better effect. Anything you buy can always be reused but I wouldn't buy school supplies such as pens glue etc. as these are usually provided by the school. :) Good luck!

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2011

Gift cards to book stores, craft stores, teacher stores, and office supply stores.

Ask for a professional wardrobe, shoes, and bag. That you can use even if you don't have a teaching job right away.

14. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 8, 2011

My daughter graduated from college in May but didn't have a teaching job yet. I had decided that my present to her was to help her set up her room. I knew that it takes money to get your room the way you want it. She didn't get her job until July so that's when she "finally " got her present. It was fun to go shopping with her too and I picked up a few supplies that I needed. Waterfull, both of us have been checking out the Goodwill store for books!

15. traveler

traveler Comrade

Oct 8, 2011

The gift cards are a great idea. I think I would have also liked membership to professional teachers groups. I like to read a lot though so that might not be good for everyone. Having someone to help set up your first class is also super helpful.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 8, 2011

I agree with the professional suit to interview in. Maybe a couple so that when you have a 2nd interview you have something to wear. Good comfy shoes. I would think twice before buying work clothes. Around here it varies so much. Teachers in the district I live in can wear jeans on a regular basis. In the schools that I have taught in, jeans were a big no-no.

I also like the idea of asking for money, to be spent when you actually get that 1st job.

As for a bag, I'd wait. My school provides us with a laptop & a bag. Although, I don't use the bag as I opted to buy myself a rolling bag. So beats carrying all of my stuff.

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 8, 2011

The professional memberships are a great idea! Especially,if you do a multi-year subscription or automatically renew it.