Supplies lists

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Croissant, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

I'm curious how your middle schools handle supplies lists. Do they still publish a school wide/grade wide list of required supplies, or does each teacher request his or her own supplies? Are students expected to have their supplies when school starts, or do they receive their supplies lists on the first day? I'm assuming as middle school teachers, you are not self-contained, so I'm wondering what your supply list usually looks like. My school decided to use the same supply list they used last year, which means for the second year in a row I won't have any input. This makes me slightly uncomfortable because that means I'll have to send home supplies requests to parents who think they're finished shopping.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 29, 2012

My school posts it on the website and it applies to all the middle school students. I did not have any input because I'm new but I wouldn't have known what I was using yet anyway. I decided I wanted them to have an extra notebook for bell work and other assignments that don't directly relate to our textbook that they can leave in my room so rather than bothering their parents I'm just going to but them from walmart for .17 each.

4. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

Near the end of the school year, teachers from each content area (in each grade level) get together and determine what they would like students to have for the next year. They submit their requests and the school secretary types up a list. This list is mailed home during the summer and is also posted on the school website. Students are expected to have their supplies on the first day, but we usually give them until the end of the week to bring in what they need.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

I WISH my kids' middle school published a list!!!

Instead, we have to wait for the first day of school, after the sales are long gone. They go from class to class, put together a list, and all the parent have to make a beeline for Target or Walmart to get the supplies.

So over the summer, I buy whatever I suspect they'll need, and fill in the holes that first week.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2012

Every teacher makes up their own list. They are handed out at Open House the week before classes begin. This generally works well... but there are always schedule changes. The other LA teacher and I do have a few differences on our supply lists.

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

Our list is compiled grade-wide. It goes home with the final report card of the year, and it is available on the school website.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

We compile a school-wide list for the supplies everyone needs. Then each team has a specific list that goes home to the students when they register. This is usually the first or second week of August.

9. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

So, Chebrutta, what do you typically ask for?

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2012

Required:
    Blue/black ink pens
    Composition notebook
    1/2" to 1" binder
    Looseleaf paper

Nice to have:
    Colored pencils or crayons
    Highlighters
    Dry erase markers

I'm flip-flopping on the dry-erase markers. I usually provide them, but it's a pain in the butt to pass them out (I want green! I want pink!), and it's a pain in the butt to make sure they put the caps back on tightly. I might make them required and then keep a few on hand in class.

I provide everything else - rulers, scissors, markers, pencils, glue sticks, etc.

11. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

Towards the end of the school year we get together as a team, compile our list and the list is sent home with their end of year report card. I'm not sure if they put the lost in the local retail stores or not. At the beginning of the year I include the list of supplies they will need for my class so they can double check to make sure they have everything they need. I do supply folders with fasteners for each student which stays in my room with their bellwork and journals in them. If they bring supplies to donate to the class (which is rare bc of it being MS and a higher poverty area) I take them and when I get to the point of needing some supplies like paper, tissues, pencils, etc I offer homework passes for any student who brings in those supplies. I will make an announcement when I need that supply and usually the next day that item starts filing in.

I would maybe mention to your team towards the end of the year that you would like for the team to revisit the supply list because their are something's you need to change for your class. They should respect that, you're not asking for much in having a part in included the items they will need for YOUR class.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 30, 2012

We make a list as a grade-level team. They sent them home the last week of school, and they're also available at open house, which is a few days before school begins.