Supplies-- is this too confusing?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by hojalata, Aug 8, 2008.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Okay so last year we did group supplies. This was fine, but the problem is that we change classes for reading groups, and the kids never had supplies to bring with them to their reading group. I don't really like the idea of individual supplies though. I think the boxes take up too much room, kids get jealous of each other's stuff, and I like the community that comes with group supplies.

So this year I was thinking of doing a little big of a individual/group hybrid. All markers, crayons and some pencils will go in caddies on the tops of the group's desks. (1 caddy per group).

Then, each student will have one of those 3-ring binder pencil cases. They will keep in it-- pencils, 1 12 pack of colored pencils, scissors and 2 glue sticks. This will be their portable supplies. I don't have my students keep anything individual in their desks-- everything is group. So 1 person will be the supply person, and be in charge of distributing everyone's pouches as needed.

Is this too confusing to do both? Is there a better solution that I'm not seeing? Thanks!

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

I do individual supplies. Each child has one of those small plastic pencil boxes and in it they have their crayons, pencils, scissors, erasers and glue sticks. It sits right on top of their desk at all times. I like this, it really saves having to have someone pass something out and if we have to leave our room with supplies then every one already has their own box. I wouldn't do both because in a sense you do have individual supplies. I'd stick to one way or another.

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I think that sounds like a good compromise. I wouldn't think it would be confusing to them as long as you practice the routine and make sure the pouches are stored out of the way.

5. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

i do some individual supplies and some community...pencils we do community pencil boxes with erasers that stay on top of the desk clusters at all times.
    but because we go to art and they need supplies there we do an art box with scissors, glue stick and crayons. the extra glue sticks and crayons they bring in at the beginning of the year, i hang on to till about semester and redistrubute them.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I think this sounds good. They will know that the pencil pouches are for reading group only... what if you keep them in a dishpan by the door, and instead of keeping them in their desks, they have them at the door and you pass them out as they go to their group? This way they won't be tempted to play with them, horde them, and so forth.

7. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Do they use all those supplies in their reading group? (Colored pencils and glue especially?) We also switch classes for reading group, and we used to have kids take pencils to their reading group until we had a couple stabbing incidents...:eek:...so now students aren't allowed to transport any supplies between reading groups. We really only use pencils in reading group, so I keep a seperate sharpened cup of pencils just for my reading group.

If you have to have them transport between groups, I like the basket/tub idea someone suggested before. Just set out the basket before they leave for reading and maybe have a classroom helper pass out the pouches as students are walking out the door. (This stops students from going through them all and making a long process of choosing...) Then when they return from reading, they simply drop the supply tub/pouch in the basket and return to their seats.

8. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

My comment is related to student supplies. On our school supply list we asked for the required items. Then at the bottom we added a note to the parents: Please label the supplies with their name. "Please help us organize their supplies by separating the following supplies into a gallon ziploc bag: half of the glue sticks, 1 pack of crayons, one eraser, one dry erase marker, and 20 of the pencils. We will store these items until your child needs them. Thank you! "
    We're hoping to get more things now and store for when they run out! Last year I had to supply so much!

9. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Like everyone else, I do a bit of both. Several of my students come with their own pencil boxes, but I also have a lot of students who come with no supplies. So I supply a group box, which I check up on about once a week, with crayons/pencils/erasers. This way, everyone pretty much has supplies. Oh, and I also flag all the group pencils by taping a piece of masking tape at the top and writing the table number on it. This eliminates the kids stealing my pencils and if a pencil is lost, they kids know where to put it back.

10. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Aug 19, 2008

We are really encouraged to NOT use shared supplies due to germs. After having to completely sanitize everything in my room due to a kid with roundworms :eek: I am all for individual supplies!

11. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I have cutlery stands that I picked up at the dollar store that stay on top of each table group. I collect pencils at the end of the day and I keep the glue sticks. Students can bring their own supplies and store them in their desks if they wish.

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2008

I love that idea!