Supplies at their desk...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by RugRats, Jul 30, 2007.

1. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Okay, lay it on me :)!

Tell me what you put at each student's desk. In years past I have given each student a pencil box with the basics (crayons, pencils, erasers, etc...). I have found that some of them can't handle it though. They play with it all the time.

Looking for new ideas!

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

my kids sit in groups....each group has a basket of pencils and eraser and a basket with crayons. The bins are to be shared. All other supplies (glue, markers, scissors etc...) are in bins, but kept on a shelf. They are only taken out when we need them. I keep the crayones out b/c we use them almost everyday!

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

We have tables and each child has their own pencil box with their own pencils, erasers, scissors, glue sticks and crayons. I don't do community supplies. I really don't have a problem with the kids playing around with their pencil boxes.

5. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

With my kiddies I usually keep the basic supplies at their desk (pencils, erasers, crayons, scissors), and I hold on to the glue and a few other of the supplies. The least amount the better I think. They organized them, and we practiced keeping their baskets clean. I had a tough group this year who couldn't handle that though. Although it took forever, I actually had to keep all the supplies on the shelf, and ask student helpers to distribute what we needed for work time. I've never had to do that with another class!

6. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 30, 2007

My mentor teacher also had group supplies (for ALL supplies). I really liked not hearing "he took my pencil". It worked out great. She only put pencils and crayons at each table, and had all other supplies somewhere else in the room.

7. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I got this idea from another teacher. When a student won't playing with objects in their desk, I just turn the desk around so that it can't be opened by the student. We have the open front desks so the opening faces me. We call it "locking" the desk. It's my last ditch effort when telling them to stop playing wouldn't work.

I'm similar to buttons in supplies, my students keep a few pencils, erasers, crayons at their desk. I store all the rest in an easily accessible spot.

8. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Thanks everyone! These are some great ideas.

9. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

I have groups and a holder for group supplies. I put pencils and crayons in it. I found that they are playing with the scissors and glue sticks more than they should. I also ask for only yellow pencils so that we don't have cutie pencils that everyone will fight over. Just plain ol' yellow ones.

10. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I did community supplies the last 2 years- a basket at each table held pencils, erasers & markers (for our behavior sheets), and I had baskets for each table on a separate shelf with things like crayons, scissors, glue & colored pencils. I also had "extras" in labeled baskets.

This year, I'm going to use individual pencil boxes and store their own extra things in a labeled bag, all in a box in my closet or under my desk. I decided to do individual supplies for a couple reasons: 1- I think that many of my students were not responsible with the supplies because they felt like "well, if I lose the cap to this glue stick, it's okay... there's a basket full of a whole bunch of new ones I can use." 2-When we do run out of things, the same parents are always the ones replenishing our supply...and I find that the children of those parents are rarely the ones breaking crayons or not capping the markers.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2007

I'm 2nd grade, but I also do mostly community supplies. The students keep 2 pencils, their crayons, and erasers in their school box. All other pencils go in a drawer labeled "pencils" where the students can get a new pencil if they need one. They have to ask me first though. I learned during my student teaching not to let students keep glue or scissors at their desks.

12. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Okay, here's what I decided to do. I used a lot of the great ideas above. Thank you again for your help!!

I have pencil boxes. One for each pair of students. I put pencils, crayons, and extra erasers in each. In the Art Center I put bins. One for scissors and one for glue.

I'm doing the tan colored pencils so no one fights over the pretty ones.

If that doesn't work, I have back up bins for pencils and crayons :).

Woot woot!

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2007

I had watering cans at their tables to hold pencils. On a shelf I put caddies with gluesticks, markers, crayons, and scissors. Liquid glue I kept in a cabinet. Not sure what I'm doing this year, but something similar.

14. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

I velcro a large tumbler to each desk. They can have a pack of crayons or thin markers, 3 pencils, scissors and glue. Inside the desk they have their books and one folder. Their plastic pencilbox stays in their cubby for extra storage. They can only go to it in the morning, lunch, or after school. I got tired of hearing the boxes splatter all over the floor and seeing a sea of junk in their desks. I actually do not encourage my kids to share unless they have to. I really do not want to pass around strep, colds, or stomach viruses.

15. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Keeping a can of pencils sharpened at each table is great. End of the day, just put out the pencils you sharpened the day before and sharpen the pencils you took for another day. It make a daily cycle. Just a thought.

16. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

My kids have individual desks, usually arranged into groups of twos or threes depending on how many students I have that year! :love:

Inside their desk is their supply box! Inside that is one pencil, one baggie of 8 pack crayons (I start the year w/ just the 8 packs), one glue stick, one pair safety scissors, one small pink eraser. I am big on making their supplies their responsibility. :love:

On the shelf near the teacher desk I have two large coffee cans. One that reads "dull pencils" and another that reads "sharp pencils." The children silently raise their pencil in the air when they need to exchange their pencil. If it's in the middle of a lesson, myself or my assistant will exchange the pencil for them, as they usually dawdle!!! :lol:

Also inside their desk are their text/workbooks, folders and two journals one for math and one for writing. The "Desk Fairy" visits about once a month and puts little pieces of candy inside the clean/organized desks. :angel: :angel:

We are also blessed to have seat sacks! I recommend these. They go on the back of the chair and hold the students take home folders and homework notebooks!

:hugs:

17. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 31, 2007

I'm wondering how you first grade teachers deal with supplies and folders, notebooks, etc. when students don't have desks, they have tables. What works best for you?

18. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

I use those wire cubes that are available at Target. Last year I had 6 tables and there are 6 cubes per set. I labeled each cube with a table number. In each cube were the students take home folders, Anthologies, journals and personal dictionaries. These are really the only books or folders that need storage. I kept the wire cubes in front of the classroom and when something was needed I would just say "table captain please pass out the Anthologies" and then they would and it went very quickly and smoothly. I have done this for years and really like it. Each child keeps their own pencil box at their own table for their crayons, glue stick, pencils and erasers. Works great!

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 31, 2007

Good idea! Hmmmm I like that...