Supplementing teacher salary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newinVA, Sep 19, 2008.

1. newinVA

newinVA New Member

Sep 19, 2008

I'll be changing careers very soon and taking a huge salary hit (half what I earned before). My family "needs" my current salary to live. You know how it is - if you earn $80K, your lifestyle tends towards an $80K lifestyle etc.

In the transition from an $80K lifestyle to a $40K lifestyle, I might need a little additional income until things settle down. For example, I can't tell my mortage lender that I'll need to pay them $500 less per month because I'm on a budget. Is it possible for teachers to earn a little extra income tutoring kids privately?

(And I shouldn't ask this, but when you tutor, do you report the income for tax purposes, or is it typically done on a cash-only and under-the-table basis?)

Thanks guys.

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

You could definitely get a second job that you work over the weekends, although I wouldn't recommend it due to that being your only time off, depends on how badly you need it. Coach? Of course that is not going to come NEAR making of the difference, but it would be something. A job in the summer time? This is what I am going to be doing. No, having a different job for just three months isn't going to help meet that same salary as before, but if it will help, why not?
    I am not sure about tutoring..so if that was your only question sorry for posting this and rambling! :(

4. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Sep 19, 2008

I have tutored some students (for pay) in the past (never my own at the time of tutoring). I charged $25 a day which was usually an hour....the parents found that reasonable (I thought it sounded high). I didn't report it for taxes...but then again it was an "as needed" thing and I never made more than $75 a month. I also work for a few weeks over the summer and it helps out slightly. This past summer I worked 3 weeks and made the same amount that I make in a typical month teaching....it was a nice bonus to help pay for my crusie!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2008

During the years I was a SAHM I tutored, for $60 per hour. By Long Island standards I was very reasonable.

I also teach an SAT prep course every summer.

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2008

I have also tutored, and charge $75 an hour, which is on the low end of the going rate in my area. We are not allowed to tutor any students who are currently in our building.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 19, 2008

As a first year teacher adding another job while teaching will be very rough on you. That being said, I agree that tutoring is a great way to go. When my husband cut his salary by even more than half to become a teacher he found lots of ways to get EC hours at school - coaching, after school tutoring program, proctoring tests on weekends. It didn't come near to covering what he had been making, but with a few cut backs in our everyday lives, and teaching summer school we were able to make it work.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 19, 2008

May I ask WHY are you going from a 80K job to a 40K teaching job? Was the 80K job THAT bad?

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Sep 20, 2008

Sorry for the hijack, but I just had to answer SpecialP's question...sometimes it's not that "bad", it just doesn't make you happy. I went from a $100K job to teaching, because I love teaching. I liked my old job, but it was not anywhere near as fulfilling as teaching is. As much as I sometimes miss the money, I really love what I'm doing now and don't think I'd ever go back to the world of advertising. You only get one chance at life...I want to do something with the rest of mine that makes me happy and helps others. Sometimes it's not just about the money. Just my :2cents:

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 20, 2008

i do tutoring here - and we get $50 for an hour. One of my friends tutors 5 kids a week! that is a nice supplement, - 1,000 a month!!

11. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Sep 20, 2008

Does your school offer after school programs? Our per session pay is $40.hour, and with the after school program I work it brings in an extra 4-5,000 per year. Its not going to make the difference in your 50% pay cut, but it might help.

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 20, 2008

My mother-in-law tutors almost every afternoon for at least an hour (and, if you're getting out of work by 3 or 4, then that still only takes you out until 5 o'clock or so). During the summer, she does more. She charges $50 / hour in rural Canada. So, that's about $1000 extra a month, more in the summer. It took her a few years to get so many clients. Tutoring like that will take your $40,000 up to about $55,000. You could also do summer camp / summer school for a few more thousand.

My biggest suggestion would be to move to a smaller house, trade your cars in for ones that don't need payments, and get ready to start buying clothes at Target.

Welcome to the club! :)