supplemental income for subs

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Sub2Teach, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Oct 10, 2007

Hey Guys,

Well, its been a short week of subbing, so far only 1 day this week. I'm wondering what you guys do for money besides subbing. I'm finding subbing is not paying all the bills and now i have sister's wedding expenses. Just curious how you can afford to live on a sub salary??

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

4. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Oct 11, 2007

I work two additional jobs

Hi! I live in a fairly large suburban area within three school districts that are super short on substiute teachers. So I work almost everyday unless I don't want to unless it is close to school vacations then I fall to about three days a week. I supplement my income by working two days a week at a local grocery store and a few nights a week at a local Sylvan Learning Center. So I am quite busy but on the other hand my schedules at Sylvan and subbing are such that if I need time off I just don't take a sub job or I ask for a day off from Sylvan. It works out pretty good for me. But I don't have a family to support. Right now it is just me and my cat!

Mldouglas

5. Subbing1

Subbing1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2007

I'm 30 and still live at home with my mom. My 83-year-old grandfather and one of my uncles also lives with us. So, the majority of my needs are taken care of by my mom and grandfather.

I work part-time at Huntington Learning Center and put in 13+ hours a week at times. They pay me $12 an hour so I tend to net a lot when I'm working my tail off there!