Supplemental Authorizations, CA

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Químico, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Químico

Químico Rookie

Feb 6, 2009

I was talking to an admin the other day about teaching science next year, etc., and I have about 30 semester units in Biology, which (we thought) would give me an supplemental authorization to teach Biology as you only need 20 units. After going home and reading more into it, it looks like they want you to have certain courses completed with labs in addition to the unit requirement. I was ok with everything except for Evolution. I never took Evolution in college, so I'm wondering if this would be a big hang-up in getting the supplemental. This is really the first time I've looked into it, so does anyone else here know any more information on this? I could just be reading things wrong...

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 6, 2009

You need to talk to a really-o truly-o credential analyst: you should find one at the local county office of education, or you can check with either the credential program you graduated from or the nearest public university that has one. And I'm not altogether certain that what you want is still available under the name "supplementary authorization": labels keep getting shifted. The credentialing people will be able to tell you exactly what you want and exactly how far you are from having it.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2009

A Supplementary Authorization won't make you NCLB compliant unless you have a degree in the subject. If you don't, then you need to go for a Subject Matter authorization to be compliant. It requires 32 units in the subject. It might be simpler to just take the appropriate CSET if you have a single subject credential.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2009

And, it's not just having a degree in the subject. There are certain classes within that degree that you may or may not have taken. I got my degree in English. To check to see whether it met the requirements for NCLB I sent my transcripts to the person in my university's English department who does the NCLB analysis. I found out that I was 4 classes short of meeting the NCLB requirement so I chose to take the CSET instead of taking those classes. So, I'd suggest having your university advisor specifically analyze your transcripts for NCLB coursework. They can give you a list of classes you need to take.