supernanny

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jan 2, 2008.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2008

Wow, anyone else just watch? That second one made me cry. I felt so sorry for those girls. Makes me wonder how many of my high schoolers are in situations like that? (that I don't know of - I know for a fact several of them are.) Just made me sad. I hope they stick with the changes.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 2, 2008

I agree with the girls, once the camera is gone mom will start using them as slaves again.

4. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Jan 2, 2008

Yeah- this was a very disturbing one. Usually this show is simple parental weakness, but this one was ODD! I got a bad feeling about the whole situation and I agree, though I hope I am wrong, that things will end up the same :(

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 2, 2008

That poor older girl looked like death warmed over.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 2, 2008

The older girl just broke my heart! I hope that she gets out and gets her own life soon.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2008

I wasn't surprised when she fainted with as much stuff as she had to go through....and mom throwing in the towel when the boy was having a meltdown. Hello, YOUR the mom, its your responsibility. I would think that CPS could be called for something like this. Even Jo was left speechless!

But I agree that things will probably go back the way they were once the cameras are gone. :(

8. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jan 2, 2008

I love SuperNanny too! She has so much wisdom!

When I watch it helps me realize that so many times the kids we see with so many problems come from families who just don't seem to have the tools or even know what to do...I wish they all could have a visit from SuperNanny...I know I learn alot from just watching.

Tonights show broke my heart too...and also made me mad! I realize that no one is perfect...but come on~step up and be a mom PLEASE!

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 3, 2008

That was so sad! The nerve of that mom! Isn't she worried that if she keeps it up, as soon her girls turn 18, they will flee?

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 3, 2008

Dad seemed to be trying to make a positive change.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2008

I agree that as soon as the cameras are gone things will go back to slave labor for the girls. Mom didn't seem remorseful at all, she just seemed put out that they had to hire a babysitter.

Couldn't they tell their daughter was ill just by looking at her??

My opinion---mom loved the attention given her when she was pregnant, thus all those children--but didn't really want the children. Mom also didn't like when her daughters were starting to blossom and take some attention away from her so that is why she had more kids after the older two. Sorry just can't resist making story explainations for things!!

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2008

I had to cry while I watched this show. I felt so sorry for the girls. Hopefully someone from CPS was watching the show...

13. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 3, 2008

Does anyone know where I can watch it? I missed it but you guys are making me curious!!!!

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2008

I didn't see it but my daughter was telling me about it. Those girls live just North of me by about 25 miles or so........ :(

15. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jan 3, 2008

I began watching the show 1/2 way through. Why were the older girls not attending school?

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2008

They were suppose to be home schooling themselves.

17. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jan 3, 2008

I hope CPS steps in. That was awful. I was surprised Jo didn't call them right away. I hope she checks back in with them. AT one point Jo told them they could go spend time with their friends. IF they have been home schooled and only takning care of their brothers, I doubt they even have any friends. If they do have friends, shame on the friends parents for not calling CPS. Don't the online schools look into kids with failing grades. Most homeschooler I run in to have really good grades and are super smart. Seems like it would be a huge red flag if they had students failing.:2cents:

18. smalltowngal

Jan 3, 2008

They were doing an online school through the local public school was the reason they got their own "school" space.

19. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jan 3, 2008

There are some threads at abc all about the show. A few are claiming to know the family. It is interesting. SOme are saying it was all editing and that the family isn't like that. Do you belive that?

20. smalltowngal

Jan 3, 2008

I believe that some of it could have been editing (because of ratings), but I also think that they try to depict it as close to what's really going on as possible. It's jut sad that the girls childhood has been taken away because mom doesn't want to be a mom.

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2008

I am sure it was edited some - but that one girl did pass out, and Jo was crying, so I bet it was still pretty bad.

I think when you are in the situation you don't realize how out of control it is though. That dad obviously had some issues with his own family - he said he was estranged from them, but also said he raised his girls the same way he was raised - he probably came from a family where the kids were expected to do a lot of work around the house and the father is never questioned (alot like the way my dad was raised). Then the mom - it seemed like maybe she was a stay at home mom who started doing photography on the side, then started doing it to make some money, and it turned into starting her own business. She probably thought she could do that and still be able to watch her kids and not send her kids to Daycare. Then it just escalated into a full time business and got out of control. Just speculating here, but I doubt the parents are evil slave drivers, i just think they probably gradually started asking more of their daughters until they just lost perspective of the situation.

22. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jan 3, 2008

The girls are not the fathers kids. I am not sure if that matters or not. On the other site I was looking at they said that he must be really abusive and that is why the mom does nothing. WHo knows. It is scary that things like that happen. Brittany looked really ill. What 17 year old has huge dark circles under her eyes?! This has really upset me.

23. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 3, 2008

Homeschooling themselves...that's a new one. What child has the skills to teach herself, and if they did have that much skill, why bother with school. Very weird!

24. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 4, 2008

What channel does this come on?

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2008

It's on ABC.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2008

No, I think they were enrolled in an online high school, which is very different from homeschooling. Virtual high schools are public schools which follow a standardized curriculum and have an actual teacher.

27. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Jan 4, 2008

After watching the show . I was wondering what will happen in a few months to those girls. I hope that they get to have a life.

28. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 4, 2008

I read an article the other day that said that the family was getting threatening letters and emails and the family is now fearing for their lives!!!!! And the family can't defend themselves against the slander because they signed a contract with ABC!

29. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2008

Here is an article about the situation. It is from a local paper around this area:

super nanny

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2008

Editing can leave things out, but what we saw was still disturbing. I would be willing to bet the people claiming to know the family are probably family members who don't want their family to be seen in a bad light. Either way, other people do not know what happens behind closed doors. Anyone can put on a facade for other people and lead them to believe everything is peachy. I am actually more mad at the fact that other people didn't call CPS on these people long ago. Shame on that mom and dad.

31. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 4, 2008

Thank you !!! :D

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2008

There are actually quite a few teens I know who do that and succeed greatly. As long as the parents monitor them to make sure they are doing the work which they didn't have I suppose that makes a great difference), then I don't see why not. It's an option that is good for those who would do well with it.

Just on a side note, I don't know what happened to my other post, but just to point out the only thing I said is where the family is from...which is also stated clear as day in the article Kinder posted so I don't know what was so bad about it. ;)