Superintendent requesting my Transcripts

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher89, Jun 13, 2014.

1. newteacher89

newteacher89 Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

Hi guys,

I'm going on my second interview today, meeting the Principal and Superintendent. My first interview was with the Asst. Principal and two Social Studies teachers. I got a phone call this morning from the Asst. Principal telling me the Superintendent is requesting that I bring my Transcripts to the interview.

Why do you think this request was made? It is just for official purposes? Am I going to have to defend my grades??

Thanks,
    Kory

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 13, 2014

Did you not have to turn in your transcripts as part of your application?

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2014

Like teacherintexas mentioned, most applications require them. I'm not sure if I've ever sent an application without them.

5. newteacher89

newteacher89 Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

Well that's the weird part, I sent it in with my application via SchoolSpring. Even had it verified and everything.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 13, 2014

They may want a paper copy for your employment file. Unless you have a horrible GPA, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably a good sign.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

Maybe they had difficulty opening your transcript that you uploaded?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

Don't stress. Just bring it. Good luck!:thumb:

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 13, 2014

How did the meeting go?

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

This must be a regional thing. I've only uploaded transcripts with about 15% of the applications I've filled out. Thinking about it, the jobs that did request them were likely out of state jobs.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2014

I guess I didn't submit them in NC until I was offered a job. Of course, the market in Michigan is waaayyy tighter than NC will probably ever be. Michigan also has higher standards for teaching licenses and training.

12. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

All jobs around here require official (unopened, sealed) transcripts from every single institution you attended, including transfer credits. Sometimes I've seen them request it up front just to reply to a job posting, other times they aren't requested until further along in the process or until you are hired.

I think that it's two fold; schools can verify your grades/degree, and to make sure that all of your credits are valid and accounted for in order to be paid at whatever step you start out at. For instance, I have my Masters +30, so I would start off at that step and need to hand them 3 different transcripts (undergrad, graduate, and additional graduate coursework at another institution).

I order multiple transcripts directly from my colleges, and keep them filed away for this reason. The worst part about this is that schools tend to charge money for them.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 14, 2014

At both job interviews where I was hired, I was asked to show my transcripts. I had official copies in my teaching portfolio, but both schools were fine with just making a copy of the official copy. I think it helps to provide proof too of your degree/education and what types of courses you took to become a teacher (I used mine to show that I had a science background and a teaching background).

14. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jun 14, 2014

I also submitted mine with my application. I am (will be) a high school chemistry teacher so I think they wanted to verify the science (Bio and Chem) that I had in college. I didn't have any issues and ended up getting the job. Fingers crossed for you!

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 15, 2014

Yeah, them charging money is the worst part - the college I graduated from charges $10 a transcript - the CC I graduated from used to give two free transcripts out per year upon request, but now they charge $3 a transcript

16. rpickles

rpickles Rookie

Jun 15, 2014

Since I didn't have my certification in hand, they needed my transcripts to hire me (even though I had already submitted them with the application, they asked for them.) Hopefully it's a good sign! I doubt it would mean that you need to defend anything.

17. newteacher89

newteacher89 Rookie

Jun 15, 2014

So my interview went well! The Superintendent said she just wanted a physical copy to keep on record for me. Again, the interview was between me and one other person. At the end of the interview, the Principal said they should have a decision over the weekend and will contact me then.

I haven't received a phone call yet, but wouldn't you think it's weird to receive a call on a Sunday from a Principal offering the job to you? I'm figuring tomorrow will be the day I get it. I'm also hoping they contact me even if I don't get the position. I figure because it's down to me and one other person, they should have the decency to do that.

Stay tuned!

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 15, 2014

Crossing my fingers for you..

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

In my area of NJ, they'll take your copy of transcripts when you apply and ask for official copy when actually hiring a candidate.

Plus the OP is going in for a second interview...s/he's in the running for the job...totally worth the ten bucks. Even more to have it overnighted.

20. rpickles

rpickles Rookie

Jun 15, 2014

Good luck!