Superintendent interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by help me, Jun 15, 2010.

1. help me

help me New Member

Jun 15, 2010

I've read some other people's posts on this issue, but I was hoping I could get some advice...

I interviewed three weeks ago for a New Jersey high school English position with a department supervisor. At the end of that interview, she scheduled me for a demo lesson in front of a class of AP seniors. I came in later that week and delivered my demo. Immediately after the demo, she brought me in for an interview with the principal. At the end of the interview, she told me that in the next step they'd make recommendations to the superintendent and that I would be contacted as soon as possible as to whether I'd be interviewing with the super or not. I didn't hear back for a week and a half, so I found an excuse to contact her. She kindly responded and added that she'd get back to me by the end of last week. Well, I never heard from her. Then yesterday, I got a call from the superintendent's secretary asking to set up a meeting for this Thursday.

What does all this mean? Do I have the job? Have they recommended one or two other candidates for the superintendent to choose from? Please advise. I'm stressing out and I want to have a realistic picture of what my chances are. I really want this job.

3. Jedi74

Jedi74 Rookie

Jun 15, 2010

you're probably at least one of 2 finalists :)

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 15, 2010

Your interviews have gone exactly how we interview in my district so far - demo, interview with dept, then P and AP and then finally super. When candidates to get to the final round of interviews, we usually have three at that point. And our final interview is with a panel with the super, 2 board members, two P from our corporation and dept chair.

Good Luck

5. help me

help me New Member

Jun 15, 2010

ugh.. that's what I was scared of.. i really, really want this job and if there's one other candidate, i only have a 50/50 chance.. it's a toss of a coin

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 15, 2010

Don't be scared . . . you have already done the hard part :thumb: You have made it through two tough rounds of interviews and you obviously have what they are looking for. Stand tall, be confident and remember what got you to round three!!!

7. help me

help me New Member

Sep 2, 2010

update

update***
    (Some insight for anyone who's in the same position I was.)

The interview was formal, not a formality. The assistant superintendent was there as well and, in spite of my attempts to engage them in conversation, they led me through a rigorous set of questions read from a list without ever responding to my answers. After saying I'd hear back in three days, they strung me along for six weeks before telling me no.

Recently though, I had a superintendent interview that WAS just a formality and ended in a job offer. This was after only one interview with three administrators.

The point is: you really never know. One job offer came by e-mail after just one interview with three administrators. I showed up to another school's interview and ended up spending seven hours straight interviewing with eight different people. They offered me the job that afternoon.

You really never know how they handle interviews. What I do know is that I received three job offers in spite of a having a mediocre GPA from a mediocre school, no certification, and a categorical lack of experience in pedagogy. If you're out there struggling, get more aggressive. I applied to more than 200 schools nationwide. Four interviewed me. Three hired me. That's a pathetic 2% and 1.5% respectively. If your luck is as bad as mine, you have to apply far and wide.

8. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

Thank you for sharing your experiences (it really does vary from district to district) and congratulations on those offers! :thumb:

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2010

Congrats on your offers!!

It really does depend on the admnistration, too. My superintendent interview for my current job was just a formality, but since the superintendent has changed, its now a real interview with 2-3 candidates sent over.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2010

Congrats! Good for you for not giving up. I know 200 applications to fill out can be a lot of work!

What grade/subject will you be teaching?