Super vague "modifications"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 29, 2016

So I have one or two students who are designated to be on a "modified" diploma meaning that they don't have to meet all of the same standards at the regular ed students.

However all the case manager said to us teachers was "So-and-so students are on modified diplomas, so be creative!"

What the heck does that mean? I've never really had to modify before because in the past students on such tracks were in special classes. I give work that sometimes frustrates these students or they get frustrated with peer relations. Any ideas on exactly what modifying instruction means (as a newbie who has never done it before)? Do I grade easier? Not require all of the work (I've done this with one of the students and immediately the other students around them were asking if they could do the same...), etc?

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2016

Ask them specifically what they mean and how to modify for a student on a modified diploma. That is their job, not yours even if the student is sitting in your general education class.

4. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Oct 29, 2016

You should ask what modifications and accommodations are designated on their IEPs. At least in this state, the IEPs are very specific for each subject area. For the students I teach on a modified diploma, they typically have some or all of the following:

--Modified assignments, interpreted as fewer questions or fewer of the harder questions.
    --Modified grading. I've been told to bump them up essentially a letter grade. I've also been told that an 80=100, in other words they only need an 80 to get a perfect score.
    --Read aloud on tests.
    --extra time on assignments and tests.
    --modified tests. Fewer questions, fewer hard ones, if it's multiple choice then eliminate 1 or even 2 possible answer choices.

In practice, I think what the case manager means is, "As long as the student is showing up and attempting the work, pass him. If he's on a modified diploma, don't be the teacher who keeps him from graduating."

Backroads likes this.
  5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 29, 2016

Just sent them an email asking for clarification. Am awaiting a response.

otterpop likes this.
  6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2016

The case managers should be working with you to modify the content of the subject area. They need to be the ones that take the assignments and modify it down to the student level.

Modified may include:
    ~assignments that are shortened, only focusing on problems that deal with one standard, setting up the steps for the students and essentially them plugging in what numbers go where and solving, etc.
    ~tests that are multiple choice with 3 answer choices instead of 4, no short answer/essay type questions
    ~grading only on what they complete

I hope that you get a satisfactory answer!

Peregrin5 likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 31, 2016

While I do like this answer, I can't imagine this ever being done anywhere I've worked. The teacher is usually the one responsible for modifying in my experience. So, if the student takes tests with 3 choices instead of 4, the teacher is responsible for crossing off one incorrect answer. It would be nice to have that happen!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 31, 2016

I've only worked in one district, but in all the IEPs I've ever seen, the classroom teachers are the ones who are directly responsible for modifying the work--not the case manager.

otterpop likes this.
  9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2016

Here, it is the classroom teacher who is responsible for the accommodations and modifications laid out in the IEP.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 1, 2016

The classroom teacher might be the ones to do the modifying but the SPE teacher/case manager needs to specify how it needs to be modified.

Peregrin5, smalltowngal and a2z like this.
  11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2016

Our general education and special education teachers are supposed to work together to modify the work. Most of the time I have seen the special education teachers modifying and then asking the general education teacher if it works.