Super Nervous

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by jnation, Aug 3, 2005.

1. jnation

jnation Companion

Aug 3, 2005

I just had reality hit me. I start new teacher orientation on the 10th and school starts on the 17th. I am so nervous. The first day I can get into my classroom is the 10th. Just thought I would share my nervousness.

3. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 3, 2005

Hi jnation, I am a new teacher also. I have been feeling the "butterflies" for a few days now. I know that once I am actually teaching I will feel better but the anticipation is really hard. I met some of the teachers that I will be working with and they seem to be a pretty tight knit group so I am a little nervous about finding my place. I am sure they we are all going to be fine. But know that you are not alone in feeling nervous!

4. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 3, 2005

I second that motion! :-D I am feeling like a roller coaster these days--some days I wake up and I am excited and anxious to go...other days I find I am overwhelmed. I keep telling myself, I'm not doing this alone; I have good support (BTSA helps!); I have spent the past three years studying and training; and after all, even veteran teachers face new challenges on a frequent basis.

I agree that once we get in the classroom, and find a routine, it will be much better. For now, we newbies have no clue about the kids we'll have, the overall staff we'll work with, or whether we'll be able to meet all those critical "standards" every day. Gosh--it's amazing that so many people choose to do this to themselves every summer!! :eek:

5. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 4, 2005

What grades are you teaching?

6. jnation

jnation Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I've got students with emotional and behavioral disorders in grades 3 through 5, which is part of the reason I am soooo nervous. It's goign to be so hard to teach three different grade levels on top of managing all those severe behaviors. I think alot of my nervousness comes from the teacher who had this class last year leaving because "the job was just too hard" and this will only be the second year this program has been at the school, so I've got alot of expectations riding on me to do a "stellar" job, especially since the principal hired me over two people with 20+ years of experience. I think I'll be fine after I get my nerves under control and after the first day...but these first day jitters are really getting the best of me ;)

7. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 4, 2005

I sort of know the feeling. Once I had a long term subbing position with grades 6,7 and 8 at the same time together. They were had LD and BD. At first I felt like a correctional officer, I had terrible headaches. I wanted to quit so bad. No one expected me to last longer than a few days. But I did, and by the time I left, ssome of those kids were calling me mom( which I tried to put an end to) most of them called me their favorite teacher, and all of them showed me great respect and gratitude. You will be amazed at the results you will see!

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 4, 2005

Jnation-

I went through the same thing when I went on the interview for the BD room in my first year of teaching. I think one reason why they hired you was because you are new and fresh with ideas and plans in mind. Sometimes teachers with 20+ years are not going to try new things and are going to do what they have been doing for many years. You are going to be great. Remember you can email me anything that you have questions and I will do my best ot help you.

I know how you are feeling. I felt the same way and had a lot of support from family and friends. You are going to be great... Hope everything I gave you is helpful. Good luck. Tell me how things are going.

Jen ;)

9. jnation

jnation Companion

Aug 5, 2005

Okay, so I have officially crossed over into panic mode. I originally thought I would have from the 10 until the 16th to get ready for school, which begins on the 17. Today I got a letter in the mail saying that, not only, do I have to attend new teacher orientation from the 10-11, but also that I have to attend new special education training on the 12, 15, and 16 from 8 until 4 every day. I was supposed to originally meet with my mentor on the 12 (as per the original new teacher oriendation handout) but now when I am supposed to do that? How am I supposed to get my class ready in two days? I'm really freaking out. I was okay when I thought I had a week to get ready, but this, this is just nuts! All this on top of trying to plan my Oct 22 wedding is beginning to make me a real basket case. Sorry to complain, just venting a bit.
    I would really like some advice on the most important things to do in those first two days...I think if I can get those done, then I can make it.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2005

It doesn't all have to be done by the first day. I would have my teaching materials in order, and let the decorating happen as you have time. Most elementary students love to help around the classroom, and it might be a good way to get to know your students as you work together on the room. Know school policies and your classroom management plan, and the rest will come together. Also, I remember a lot of my orientation days would let out early, and I would have some time to work in my room. Good luck!

11. liz

liz Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

I would get these things in order quickly: rules, procedures and routines ( sharpener, bathroom, drinks,etc), daily back and forth sheet (parent communication), behavior management system with rewards and consequences, and paper on the bulletin boards. Also look at the IEP's and behavior plans. If you have these things set before the first day, the rest will fall into place. You can do it--good luck!

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2005

I agree with Missy and liz! Get the essentials ready, leave decorating for later. The students will love to help. As for the wedding, give your maid of honor or any trusted friend (used my mom!) to make calls and do the mundane things that would take up to much time. Usually they are more than happy to help. I just realized today is your first day of training...Good luck!

13. jnation

jnation Companion

Aug 10, 2005

So today was my first day of orientation. It went really well, pretty uneventful. They gave us the books The First Days of School by Harry Wong and Why Didn't I learn This in College by Paula Rutherford, which are both great books. Basically all we did today was meet alot of people in the district and learn about bloodborn pathogens, so basically, I was worried about this for no reason.

I did get to see my classroom for the first time as well, and it is absolutely great! It's really big, considering I only have 6 kids and has the best of everything...the only problem is, I have no supplies whatsoever...no paper, no crayons, no markers, no nothing. I did get a chance to browse some of the textbooks and look at some of the other things in the class, but I didn't have time to familiarize myself with the whole building yet...that will be tomorrow :)

Just wanted to let ya guys know that everything went well and for all you other new teachers, don't fret...it's really not as bad as it seems. Thanks for all the support!!

14. mizP

mizP New Member

Aug 11, 2005

I am in the same boat. My last day of student teaching was last Fri. and orentation begins next Wednesday. I just found out that I will be in the fourth grade as well. While I am excited about the cirriculum, I cannot decide on a classroom management plan. I like the idea of a token economy in which students earn rewards, but do not want to break my bank in the process..I was wondering what others were thinking about using for their dicipline plan at this age and what types of rewards are popular yet reasonable. I have also heard that it is best to leave room in the classroom to decorate with the students as it gives them ownership of the classroom. I totally can relate to jnation--I am in the panic mode--I had hoped that this week I would beable to collect my thoughts, but I have so many worries and ideas flying around, I don't know where to begin!!

15. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 11, 2005

MizP, is Las Vegas in critical need of teachers? I am looking for somewhere to relocate next year.

16. mizP

mizP New Member

Aug 11, 2005

YES!!! I read posts about teachers in other states looking for jobs for years, and that is not the case here at all!! I had my interview with the district and once my file was released I had principals calling me the next day. I practially chose my job. I think that they still need like 400 teachers before the beginning of the year (Aug. 30). They do not pay much (28, 500 to start) but I have been living here in Henderson for 5 years and really like it. It's a great place to raise a family...just be careful and maybe visit the area you are considering living in before signing a lease or buying, like any other city, there are some scary parts of town. The school districts website is www.ccsd.net/jobs. That way you can see the requirements (pass PPST, Praxis) and pay scale. Good luck to you!! :)

17. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 11, 2005

Thank you so much!

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 12, 2005

MIzP... I've seen classes in 4th, 5th, 6th have kids bring in stuff they don't want any more and auction them off with the money they earn in their token economy... they brought sutffed animals, books, toys, you name it... just be sure they have their parents' permission to bring in the item! ;)

19. mizP

mizP New Member

Aug 12, 2005

Did not think of that one...would you suggest requesting items at open house after explaining the goals of the plan?