Super Fun Grammar Games!!!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by tinytee, Feb 6, 2008.

1. tinytee

tinytee Rookie

Feb 6, 2008

Hello all!! I'm pretty new here so I apologize if this has been asked already.

Can someone please tell me a great site or book for ELA games. The children are tired of spelling bees. Math battles are great, and they love them so I'm jealous lol.
    So again, if anyone knows any great ELA games that will have my students in a frenzy please let me know.

Thank you so much.

3. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Feb 8, 2008

I had students make up raps in small groups about different parts of speech (I was in an inner city school at the time). Then we had a "Grammar Idol". Each group performed their raps in front of the class (with the lights turned off and the overhead turned on the group as the "spotlight") They got really into it! They even brought in beat tapes with which to perform their songs. You could adapt that idea if your kids aren't really into rap.
    Just a thought...

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

I like the game where you give them a sentence, then have them change one noun, then one verb, then maybe add an adjective or whatever you want. Let them share them at the end.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

I'm not an ELA teacher, but one of the teachers in my school uses "mad-libs" for her classes. I hadn't seen them in forever, but they're those books that have a story with certain words missing and asks for a specific part of speech to go in the blank. One person reads it and asks for the words, the other person has no clue what the story is, so supplies the proper part of speech. The results are hysterical and her kids love them.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

What's especially hysterical for something like MadLibs is to roll your own, using text that the kids are familiar with (such as the introduction to the student handbook...)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 9, 2008

Oh yeah, they roll on the floor laughing when they are in the personalized Mad Libs.

8. tinytee

tinytee Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

If you guys don't mind, can someone please explain the MadLibs game. I am really interested in trying it. Thank you!!

9. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

It's a story written out, but it has some of the nouns/verbs/adverbs/adjectives/pronouns left out of it. So it might look something like this:

__________ went to the _______ to _________ some ________
    (Pronoun) (Noun) (verb) (noun)

The kids have to pick out the parts of speech before seeing the story (like you tell them "pick a pronoun") and then fill them in. Obviously the example I gave isn't great, but the ones that are premade can be pretty funny. They get silly, but it reinforces the parts of speech.

10. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

Oh, and for some reason, it won't let me do this, but the parts of speech are supposed to be written right underneath the blanks. It keeps pushing them over, though. Hmmm...

11. dtrim

dtrim Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

I did Mad Libs as a Friday treat and found that the ones that have a dialogue between two people are the most fun. Volunteers come to the front of the classroom to act out the game.

However, the game can quickly turn naughty.

Don't give the students ideas about naughty words, but shut down the fun at the first sign of naughtiness and have a consequence ready.

I hesitate to give examples of naughtiness, but lick comes to mind... Sure, it's a good verb, but in the wrong hands...

12. tinytee

tinytee Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

Oh, duh, I've played this at wedding showers lol. Thank you both so much. I will surely play this on Friday.