Sunshine Fund

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Sep 21, 2012.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 21, 2012

Does your school do this? Do you join? How much does each teacher pay?

My school is asking for $20 from each teacher. I hate to be the kind of teacher that doesn't participate in things, so I'm sure I'll end up paying, but that just seems a little steep!

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 21, 2012

My old school did this and I hated it. I like to give my own gifts to staff members. I never could change it, and I ended up paying the $15 (it was over 10 years ago).

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2012

$20 is nothing...all the schools I worked at ranged from $50-75. They had set rules like $100- for a new baby, marriage, flowers for death in immediate family, holiday gift of x amount for secretaries and x amount for custodian. Etc.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 21, 2012

We have a SAC and it is $30 and then we still go in as a team on a gift for every baby or wedding shower. SAC covers the party part of the showers - cake/punch/snacks, and then we usually do a $50 gift from our 6 person team. SAC covers flowers and cards for hospital, family deaths, etc... and a graduation gift for children who are graduating high school.

6. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Sep 21, 2012

My school has it, but I didnt mind paying for it because it's easier than having to get something for people all the time since there are a lot of staff members at my school. They threw a little get together at the beginning of the year, and I seriously think I ate/drank my $20 worth of food and drinks, lol.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2012

We have a sunshine committee, but they didn't ask for money. They introduced a "birthday exchange" last week where you get paired with another staff member and you get them a 10 dollar gift for their birthday, and they get you one....however, my birthday had already passed by the time they introduced the activity, so I'm not participating.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2012

$42 in my school.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 21, 2012

Ours is funded by our soda and chip machine in the lounge.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2012

I refused to participate at my old school...long story. I did at my new school, though. It's twenty.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 21, 2012

Ours, too. We usually do gifts for showers as a grade level...$5 or $10 each. There are six to eight of us in each grade level.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 21, 2012

Mine is $20.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2012

$20 at my school, too. That just reminded me that no one has collected yet this year.

15. MsG

MsG Companion

Sep 22, 2012

We have an empathy fund which is $15 and a social fund (covers our holiday party, luncheons, whatever else) which is $15, so we pay $30 each year.

16. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 22, 2012

Our sunshine club asks for $5 from each teacher whenever they need donations. They haven't even asked teachers to donate anything for the past few years since there has been enough in the account to cover their expenses.

17. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 22, 2012

We are asked for $10 whenever the fund runs low. I like it because the person who runs it really stays on top of the things that people are going through. I don't always know who is having surgery or who had a death in the family, and she makes it a point of getting that information.

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 22, 2012

That's such an odd number!

It is $10 at ours. I keep forgetting to send my money in.

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 22, 2012

We are a very small school and ours are $40. I was on the committee last year and we had a lot of money left over (and it has only been $30. for many years), so I don't know what they plan on doing with the money.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 22, 2012

I've never heard of this. Is it a one time per year fee?

21. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Sep 22, 2012

Usually $5 or $10 dollars. Our committee provides food for the beginning and end of year parties, as well as stuff during conferences. Sometimes, depending on the size of our account, we also have mid year get-togethers at the pub across the street and the sunshine committee buys snacks. (We are, of course, responsible for our own beverages.)

Also, cards for big events like marriage or deaths in families, thinking of you cards if a staff member is going through a really rough time (like our one staff whose daughter has been battling cancer for years... and it doesn't look good), showers for weddings or babies.... we are a pretty close group. It is really neat.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

$25/year for "Social Funds". This goes towards flowers or charitable donations for bereavements or hospitalizations, gifts for first babies, cakes for special occasions, gifts for teachers who leave or transfer to another school, including long term subs. If there are funds left at the end of the year, it goes towards a catered lunch on the last day of school.

23. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 22, 2012

The school I taught in last year did it and it was $40. I was okay with that, but somehow we still would be buying gifts for every wedding and baby shower. Plus, I'd get emails that said things like "So and so's great uncle passed away. The sunshine group is sending flowers, but it would be great if we could all contribute $5 more to make this extra special." I do have a heart, but at some point - it became a little too much.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

The only things "extra" that we may be asked to contribute to are wedding gifts and those contributions are optional--an envelope is sent around to all teachers.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 22, 2012

Ours is $20. We do a monthly birthday celebration in addition to weddings & births of new babies. We had 2 people lose family members at the beginning of the year. I don't know if we sent flowers or just cards. The head person also decorates the lounge seasonally & may put out mints or chocolates.

They usually have a hard time collecting that money.

We've also collected extra money: usually it's been to help pay for a funeral. I think that has happened twice.

We also have made dinner for new Moms. This is usually a sign-up list.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  26. MaggieB

MaggieB Rookie

Sep 22, 2012

My school is either $20 a semester or $35 for the year. Our principal wants 100% participation and has stated so many times. Here's the catch though. Last year we had to pay $25.00 each semester to wear jeans on Friday. This year jeans are free. We can wear them every Friday. In return for giving us jeans free the principal wants sunshine dues so actually it's 15 cheaper! Also pay up or get in her bad side. She does hold grudges. I e seen it happen too many times to count.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

And this is exactly why I didn't participate at my previous school. I will not be bullied or pushed this way. As a new teacher who hadn't even been paid yet, I couldn't believe how they were hounding me for the money as soon as school started. It also bothered me that they didn't take into consideration religious/personal beliefs. So I refused for the next several years.

We took care of each other in our grade level anyhow.

28. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Sep 22, 2012

Ours is $30/year.

29. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 22, 2012

Same here! It is technically optional, but I sort of thought it was a good thing to do as someone new to the school community. I don't mind, anyway. My school is great! :) They also use the money for fun little treats in our mailbox every once in a while. Last week we got candy after the strike. :woot:

30. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 22, 2012

This is exactly what our Sunshine Fund does with the collected monies. Our contribution is $20 though.

31. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2012

Ours is $12. We don't do birthdays; most of it goes toward our annual holiday party and the end of the year lunch honoring retiring teachers. If there's a new baby or other important occasion, the individual department members contribute to a gift and sign the card. No amount is suggested, and everyone's money is pooled, so there's no pressure--you give what you can.