Sunday Night Anxiety?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by akconnel, Nov 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. akconnel

akconnel Rookie

Nov 11, 2018

I don’t know about you all, but for me Sunday nights are the WORST!

I used to stay up later in a futile effort to make the weekend feel longer. Now I do the opposite and go to bed super early because getting a good night’s sleep is at least something I can control. I also have anti-anxiety meds that I never needed before I started teaching.

Do you all have any experience with the Sunday night jitters?

3. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Nov 11, 2018

Yes! And we just had a three day weekend due to a snow day. As nice as three days off is, it makes going back so hard! I have been in different field of work, however, and it felt the same so I guess it is just getting back into the swing of things.

4. akconnel

akconnel Rookie

Nov 11, 2018

What other field did you work in? Was it as stressful as teaching?

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Nov 12, 2018

I used to feel the Sunday night dread until I made sure I was sorted for Monday the Friday before and I slept by 9pm on Sunday. A good nights sleep means it’s not a shock to the system to wake up Monday morning!

6. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Nov 12, 2018

I feel the same. I'm beginning to question whether teaching is the right field for me. I think it's normal to say on Sunday night, "Yuck...I don't want to go to work tomorrow" because work is work. But when you have anxiety about it, then that's a problem. Life is too short to do something that gives you anxiety everyday.

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 12, 2018

This was me going back to when I was an elementary school student! I've found ways to ward off the jitters, mainly by having a weekly get-together with my friends at my favorite BBQ place. It makes Sunday night something to look forward to instead of dread.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 12, 2018

I don’t ever get these jitters. Teaching is second nature to me at this point in my career.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 12, 2018

What is the anxiety about? For me, Monday is the same as any other day if I'm well prepared. What's so different about Monday?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 12, 2018

:agreed:

11. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 12, 2018

I only get it if I don't have stuff ready for the day.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 12, 2018

I can see why that would be a problem. Luckily, that's easily remedied!

teacherguy111 likes this.
  13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 12, 2018

Maybe set up before you leave on Friday so your classroom is prepped and ready to go on Monday? I run all my copies on Friday, tidy up my room, send out any parent emails I need to, update the weekly bulletin, wipe down my whiteboards, update the gradebook, “write” my lesson plans, etc. That way, everything is done once I return the following week and it makes my job much easier because of how streamlined it is.

14. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 12, 2018

I typically do that but there are some weeks I just need to get out! Lol.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 12, 2018

Teacher anxiety is as real as student anxiety, even for those students who have all their homework done and are engaged. Being prepared with lesson plans and the like is definitely part of the process, but there is also the stress of not knowing what random issues will hit your classroom / school / district after two days away. Heck, it is also KNOWING what is waiting for you!

16. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2018

Some of us simply have that anxiety, and so we just do our best to work with it. I know I get anxiety, no matter how prepared I am. Great idea making sure you go to sleep early enough; better sleep through the week will help decrease that anxiety. And perhaps consider a routine for Sunday nights/Monday mornings -- for me, having a particular routine that I know sets me up for success also helps to reduce the anxiety. That said, it might not be something that will fully go away, and that's okay.

17. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Nov 12, 2018

Even though I’m a student teacher, I find that having the room ready for Monday alleviates a lot of this. I also make sure I have every necessary copy done for Monday on Friday because I swear to God the copy machine knows I’m in a rush on Monday and jams.

I still get jitters on Sunday nights, though. I think it has to deal with the uncertainty that comes with a new week.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 13, 2018

That's true. There's always some uncertainty that we worry about.
    I find that if I have a plan for something fun on Mondays I look forward to them rather dread them. Either something fun for class time or something after school just for you. My book club used to meet on Monday evenings and that meant I always had something to look forward to.